Good bank for OOS incoming freshman

<p>I just got a postcard in the mail about the UW Credit Union. Is this a good bank to use for my son? He will be living in Bradley Hall. Being OOS it would be helpful to have an account at a bank that has access to ATM networks nationwide. The Credit Union has this and one ATM is close to my house which makes it easy for me to deposit money into his account. I have done this with my my older son at another out of state college and it has worked very well. Any thoughts?</p>

<p>I can tell you that my experience with the Credit Union as a student in the 1980’s was very positive. They treated small accounts and small account holders with respect (the banks in town tended to look askance at student customers) and offered rates that are usually better than those at the banks. At the time there was only one ATM network in WI, TYME, which was everywhere, which everyone used, and which had no fees. I don’t know the situation now.</p>

<p>IMO a credit union, in general, is fine for student financial needs. They might lack some of the more sophisticated services full-service banks have (e.g., safe deposit boxes, mortgages and other loans, signature guarantees, etc.) but I got along well for my student years with my Credit Union checking account.</p>

<p>As a current (frequent) user of UW Credit Union, I highly recommend it. They have good customer service (i.e. they treat you with respect) and a lot of conveniently located branch locations in Madison.</p>

<p>Got my first new car loan from the UWCU. Good people.</p>

<p>I recommend UW Credit Union. You can also link your UW student ID card (‘Wiscard’) to your UWCU checking account, thus turning your WISCARD into a dual purpose debit card.</p>

<p>No negatives to the UW credit Union I heard about. Associated Bank is regional and has close to campus branches for those who already use it at home. Other banks- check the website for Madison branches to see if your home account bank has convenient near campus TYME/ATM machines and/or branches.</p>