Good/Honest Mechanic in TTown

Son was driving back to school and a warning light came on. I need him to get it checked it out. Any recommendations
for a good, honest mechanic in Tuscaloosa–preferably near campus, but not a hard requirement.

Thanks in advance

Warren Tire comes highly recommended on the UA Parents Facebook pages. Good luck!

By saying a warning light came on, I take it the light is not flashing. Also, is it a yellow light? A warning light is red and means stop what you’re doing. Your son can take it to an Advanced Auto or Auto Zone and have a diagnostic run. They will loan him the equipment to do it right there. If they are not busy, they might help show him how to use it. Good learning experience for him. I know one of those stores is on MacFarland. If I had to guess from what you wrote, it is the check engine light. A common cause is an O2 sensor. Not a big deal.

Does he know what the warning light was for? If he has various warning lights like a lot of cars, it could be a host of things. Did he check the owners manual to see what it was for? It could be as simple as low tire pressure.

We have used Warren Tire and Townsend BMW. Only problem we had with Warren Tire was DD’s car was overheating but not consistently. It did it on the drive back last summer but it was not low on fluids. They checked it when she got it to them the next day and could not find anything. Did not do it again for a few months and ended up having her take it to the BMW dealership, 10 year old BMW and I really did not want to pay BMW service rates. We had asked Warren Tire if it was the water pump. They did not think so but, it is hard to tell on these newer electric water pumps. Turns out that is what it was. I would love to find an indy German auto mechanic in Tuscaloosa like we have here at home.

There is an O’Reily Auto Parts on 15th St @ Queen City Ave

Talk to Kevin at Foreign Car Repair. They are located at 1001 McFarland Blvd NE. I’ve had a clutch installed in an Audi and I was very pleased with work and cost.

Warren Tires was great to us. They are honest.

3 - sounds like vapor lock from the symptom you describe.

There are warning lights, and then there is the “Check Engine” light. Have to know which idiot light is on to know what the possible problem is.