Good news, Bama Frosh Scholarships will NOT be changing!

<p>I just got an email from Bama and the scholarships will stay the same for next year. So, no worries for those who’ve already qualified for next year’s app cycle.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Thank you!! I did email and was told there were no changes as of yet and the brochure is being printed in 2 weeks, but your news is definitely good!!</p>

<p>Too funny, the Halmark mothers day add was just on with the tag line ‘tell her what she needs to hear’… to which my husband asks what do I need to hear…I respond, since I was reading the thread where confirming scholarships for next year came up… I want to hear that Bama scholarships for next year are unchanged… scroll down and here it is! </p>

<p>Hope I still get a Mothers Day present too!</p>

<p>That is awesome news! Thanks mom2collegekids for checking on that. I had emailed them a couple of days ago, but haven’t received a response. My son will be thrilled to hear that as well!</p>

<p>Great news! Thanks m2ck :)</p>

<p>Thank you!!! My DD fell in love with Bama during her recent visits. Given our luck, DW and I were affraid they would eliminate or severely curtail the scholarships.</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing the good news M2CK! Now please keep it that way for D2 and D3!:slight_smile: Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Are you meaning the 2013/2014 school year? Think that also stands for c of engineering bumping up the 2/3 tuition to full?</p>

<p>Excellent! Check that worry off my list :)</p>

<p>*Are you meaning the 2013/2014 school year? </p>

<p>Think that also stands for c of engineering bumping up the 2/3 tuition to full?
*</p>

<p>Yes to the first question. the University awards won’t change for the next app season.</p>

<p>I haven’t yet contacted engineering…I will do so.</p>

<p>As always, thanks so much M2CK for being a veritable font of information. :-)</p>

<p>My youngest son will be a freshman in the fall of 2014.
I need everyone to keep their fingers crossed for one more year!!</p>

<p>My daughter currently qualifies for the 2/3 scholarship, does any one know if this can be used for other expenses such as Room and Board? She has the GI Bill which will pay 100% tuition so while I know they values is based tuition I wasn’t sure if it could be used for other expense??</p>

<p>Here’s hoping for 2015…;)</p>

<p>*My daughter currently qualifies for the 2/3 scholarship, does any one know if this can be used for other expenses such as Room and Board? She has the GI Bill which will pay 100% tuition so while I know they values is based tuition I wasn’t sure if it could be used for other expense??
*</p>

<p>Yes…the amount given isn’t just for tuition…it can be for anything. There are kids with PACT money or GI bill money…and Bama just stacks the scholarship money on top.</p>

<p>So your D would get tuition from GI…then she’d get about $14k from the UA scholar. That will pay for room, board, books, fees, and you’ll probably get a refund check for personal expenses.</p>

<p>Mom2…thank you so much! Simply
Fantastic!!!</p>

<p>OK, here’s a related question - we have money in a 529 account for my son. If he decides to go to Bama on a NMF scholarship, we won’t need to use that for him, at least not for undergrad. We can save some of it in case he goes to grad school or something else we would need to pay for, but would we also have the option of paying some of it to Bama and then getting a refund when that plus the Bama scholarships exceeds the COA? We would just end up putting the money back into an account for him, but then it wouldn’t be restricted to educational expenses and could be used for a house, car, etc.</p>

<p>I hope that made sense - it confuses me LOL!</p>

<p>You have several options.</p>

<p>You can withdraw amounts up to COA and get the refunds.</p>

<p>I think that you can also withdraw amounts that are covered by scholarships (I think). Make a thread in FA and Scholarships. I’m pretty sure that subject has come up. I think that if you have money in a 529, but then get scholarships, you can still withdraw the money without penalty since the money isn’t needed for school.</p>

<p>Great news - Thanks, Mom2! Big sigh of relief here!</p>