Good Pre-Med Schools

<p>i saw UC davis on here, and i wanted to know if anyone has the acceptance rate "stats" for it (and possibly UCSD?)</p>

<p>Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this. I am new to this. My son is looking for a school with a pre med program on the East Coast. What are some of the better ones who have higher acceptance rates at Med School?
He has these on his list,
Penn State
Suny at Stony Brook
Boston University
Binghamton
Johns Hopkins
Union College
Ursinus College
Brown
Unviersity of Rochester
Cornell
Some of the other Ivies are great but not for our pocketbook!
I know I am his mom but he is a very bright individual and is really well rounded. He is into everything from Drama club to Polytical Science team.
Thanks</p>

<p>Of these Brown, Hopkins, and Cornell are going to have the top three rates -- but that's going to be (partly?) because they have the highest-quality student body to begin with and isn't a good indicator for how well any given kid (i.e. your son) will do at them.</p>

<p>As a general rule, unfortunately -- and fortunately there are exceptions -- private universities tend to have resources which big publics simply don't have when it comes to advising and extracurricular opportunities.</p>

<p>In my opinion, one should not pay OOS at a public. If you're going to do that, just go private.</p>

<p>If a school has very few premeds to begin with -- regardless of the percentage -- they probably don't have the best infrastructure. Check around, particularly with schools like Union and Ursinus.</p>

<p>Have you heard of SUNY StonyBrook? Is this one to look int or not. What other schools do you think are good here . We live at West Point, New York where my husband serves in the USARMY. Thanks
P.S. I am at a total loss. Husband is too busy playing Army with training, TDY's ,etc.</p>

<p>I know of Stony Brook. They've got an excellent medical school there, if memory serves, and that kind of infrastructure can be helpful for research jobs and clinical exposure, although that's not necessarily a make-or-break factor. If you're in NY, I don't think it makes sense to go OOS public (i.e. PSU) if they're going to make you pay OOS tuition.</p>

<p>Check into their advising systems, mostly. That's about the most useful thing you can learn about an undergrad school.</p>

<p>I'm a CA boy, so unfortunately I don't know a lot about NY schools.</p>

<p>We have a unique situation. My husband is in the Army and is still a Pennsylvania resident and I am a New York resident. He can go to either state. My oldest went to Drexel University in Philadelphia. Now I am totally confused. You mentioned about Ursinus and Union. What is wrong with them?</p>

<p>Maybe nothing's wrong. Just check to see if they have a sizable number (not just a high %) of kids going on to med school.</p>

<p>Does it matter whether you go to a large school or a small one?</p>

<p>Not in and of itself. There's a lot of factors to consider, though. Small universities sometimes have more opportunities available per student; but sometimes an overall dearth makes it harder for undergrads to get involved. Large universities often don't have the proper advising systems, but a small school which doesn't send a lot of kids to medical school will often be very unfamiliar with the process.</p>

<p>What you want is a school with great advising (usually small), a lot of opportunities (large) without a lot of students competing for them (small), a sizeable number of kids eventually going on to medical school (large) but few enough applicants that each of them can get a lot of attention (small).</p>

<p>bdm, would an example of small vs. large be a LAC vs. a UC?</p>

<p>are LACs small? are UCs big? well then...</p>

<p>i would also like to point out that BDMs criteria, which I generally agree with, hit at a central argument for going to one of the ivies or an elite private school (meaning stanford, duke, hopkins, chicago, wustl, nw, etc.) in that in most cases they provide you with the individual attention needed to be successful in the application process with the opportunities necessary to build a strong application. You are often competing for said opportunities with many other equally motivated and talented students, but from a practical standpoint there are still more opportunities for research, etc. than there are students to fill them.</p>

<p>EDIT: I should add one caveat to my earlier statement. I believe the only area in which attending one of the aforementioned schools can make the process more difficult is in the area of gaining leadership positions in student organizations. Evidence of leadership is a big deal at certain medical schools (stanford med in particular puts VERY strong emphasis on it), and being surrounded by other highly motivated individuals all looking to build resumes for either job or grad school apps can make things difficult.</p>

<p>Does anyone else know of any other good schools with known pre-med programs? Thanks Ann</p>

<p>Isn't that the whole point of this thread -- that there's no such thing as a "program"?</p>

<p>there is really no point - im going to say it now and clear- to go into those bs/md program.
you can go anywhere and finish those premed requirements. if you get to know your professors and premed advisors, they would most likely lead you into the right direction in research.</p>

<p>^ I disagree with assessment of bs/md programs. It is great to have a guaranteed spot in med. school. You can apply anywhere outside of the program if you wish. However, that one spot that you earned before you even started college will be yours. Very nice position to be in that causes a lot of envy from other pre-meds at your college.</p>

<p>It depends on what they're asking you to give up. By and large, these programs push you into undergraduate programs that you'd never have considered otherwise. It is, in other words, bait -- for kids who would have made it into medical school eventually anyway.</p>

<p>(Of course, if that happens to be your first choice school anyway, then by all means, take the guarantee.)</p>

<p>Exactly. Besides, 1st, 2nd and... choice, the whole list has proven in a wrong sequence in most cases very soon after you start college (a lot of times after 1st semester). One criteria is good to consider is how particular college appreciates you. It translates in good scholarships and acceptence to very selective programs. These programs require interviews, which gives them a chance to assess you in regard to being good match. If you get acceptance after interview then it is an indication that they think that you are a good match and most likely be happy there. That stragedy has proven right. What good for some might not be good at all for the other.</p>

<p>... huh? I don't know what you're saying.</p>

<p>can anyone inform me about the competitive rankings of the bs/md programs?</p>

<p>Dont say that they are all competitive cause i know that. =)
i just wanted to compare one program to another.
Thankks</p>