Got into Davis have not heard frm UCI yet

<p>If I got into davis is it likely I will get into irvine?
ughh im stressed…
I hate UCI admissions right now…
this stupid system…</p>

<p>I got Irvine's on 2/20 and Davis's tonight.</p>

<p>You should be fine for Irvine :)</p>

<p>a few people have said that, Does Davis have a reputation of being "harder" to get into?</p>

<p>Its about the same. Davis uses a point system which favors people from disadvantaged backgrounds, while Irvine is more GPA and SAT based.</p>

<p>Wouldn't it be harder to get in UCI since more people want to go there? Like the thing with UCLA and UCB.. UCLA being harder even though UCB is better.
LA is more popular than Sanfran apparently, and Irvine is a city close to LA while the city UCD is in is close to Sanfran...</p>

<p>Last year, UCI had the lowest acceptance rate (less than 50%) out of tier-2 UCs (UCI, UCD, UCSB) with similar GPA and SAT scores of those admitted. This year is going to be more difficult considering it has to reduce its freshmen enrollment by 12% (UCD and UCSB has to reduce its enrollment by 6% or less) and received more applications than the previous years.</p>

<p>mm thatz like saying ppl like socal better than nocal. rather ambiguous. the trend seems to be that everyone migrates to the opposite end of the state for the UC's. i think.</p>

<p>btw uc davis is in the city of davis. :)</p>

<p>Ah, I got rejected from Davis but got into UCI. Por que!?!?!?!?! This is bad for San Diego. </p>

<p>UC 3.8
SAT 2110/760/730</p>

<p>Bram - since your grades and SAT are close to/above that of the average at UC Davis, I'm assuming that you are white and upper middle class, and that is why you were rejected.</p>

<p>It is quite an overstatement to say that race and economic situation are the reason someone was rejected. points are given for leadership and for volunteer work. Points are given for taking a high number of additional a-g courses. Points are given for being ELC. Points are given for facing hardships such as major illness. </p>

<p>Yes, some are also socioeconomic, but far from the only points assigned.</p>

<p>Bram1et, you should have gotten in...</p>

<p>i know a few ppl w/ lower GPA and lower SATS who got in.</p>

<p>Bram1et probably didn't get in because he/she was most likely missing a lot of points from the UC Davis criteria. While GPA/SAT score is good, you still need to rack up some other points.</p>

<p>I disagree Rider.</p>

<p>Its hard to get ELC when you go a large competitive school, which is where the majority of upper-middle class kids attend. So that favors the kid who is disadvantaged and goes to worse quality of school, as long as of course he has some sort of motivation to do well in school. 1000 points. </p>

<p>Then there's the plus 500 points for 3.0 or above from bad high school. I don't understand the rationale behind this one at all. </p>

<p>Then there's a low income qualifier for 500 points, first generation 250 points, and special challenges 250. </p>

<p>Thats an extra 2,500 points right there that the average high effort student from a good high school simply won't get. And there's nothing he or she could have done about it. </p>

<p>Additionaly, trying to become President or VP of a prestige club at an upper average size high school is nearly impossible. Oh, and no points are given for community service according to the Davis spreadsheet.</p>

<p>i just got my email from davis!
yay
=)</p>

<p>My son got rejected by UC Davis today. Was not one of his top choices, but we find it strange. GPA 4.2, 1860/680/660, ELC, leadership, volunteer work. Seems odd that Cal Poly SLO accepted him in early February into the Electrical Engineering program but Davis is rejecting him. I thought Davis was supposed to be easier?</p>

<p>Noodle1, I have similar stats, and I was rejected also. There have been a quite # of people with above avg stats for Davis who have got rejected. It is definitely odd...</p>

<p>what is your major?</p>

<p>it was either undecided or biological science, can't remember.. but wouldn't they tell us if the major is impacted or not?</p>

<p>I wouldn't stress. It'll only make the wait worse.</p>

<p>Noodle1, if your son was really ELC, then he should have guaranteed admission to Davis, as long as he applied. They should have sent you a letter saying this. If you have the proof of ELC, then you should call Davis about it.</p>