GPA calculation and rigor of courses

Hi
DD is junior. After reading the many posts about the merit scholarship at U of Alabama and the amazing programs, I am thinking to get DD look into it next year. She already has 32 ACT in one sitting, hence standardized test request is not a concern. My concern is the GPA and the rigor of the courses for the admission office.

I checked with the admission office and I was told that they do not recalculate GPA and took what the school provides, I thought it sounded too good to be true as there are electives, PE and I knew other colleges such as Temple recalculates the GPA, therefore I am wondering whether it is true that U of Alabama only looks at the GPA provided by the HS and in our case, it will include electives and PE.

DD is currently taking 3 APs, we knew if those were regular, she will easily get As, but currently she is in the A- to B- range. A- is a 3.5 in our HS, and B- is 2.5. In general, I am happy that she is in the B, but in this case, there may be the difference between full tuition and if she were to take regular courses, she may have more time to participate in activities she enjoys, hence I am wondering whether it is beneficial for her to take the regular instead of AP if it does not affect admission.

Yes, it is exactly what is put ok transcript. My school only provides weighted so u don’t know which one they choose if both are provided.

The university will use the GPA on the transcript including electives, they will not recalculate.

For scholarship purposes the GPA is only considered through junior year and the senior year grades are not considered.

You can ask the HS to include a weighted GPA on the transcript. For example at my son’s school a B was a 3.0 in standard classes, but a B was a 4.0 in AP/weighted classes. If the school includes a weighted GPA on the transcript, Alabama will use the highest GPA written on the transcript for scholarship purposes.

thank you. I think our HS only uses weighted GPA (as listed on naviance).

If your daughter can manage an AP course load and remain above 3.5, I’d highly encourage her to take as many AP classes as she can because there are many many perks going to UA with AP credits.

Speak to your guidance counselor, they may be able to make a “Note” on the transcript or something similar.