GPA of 3.9 and SAT of 1310 Can I Get In?

My GPA is a 3.9 and my SAT score right now is 1310, do I have a good chance of being accepted into UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Davis? I’m also the Speech and Debate Captain, ASB Secretary, Mock Trial participant, Dean’s Award winner, and more. I’m also applying as a history major and I’m Asian (I think this matters).

Race/Ethnicity is not considered in UC admissions. Is your 3.9 GPA the capped weighted UC GPA? If so, your GPA is actually below the 25th percentile for all the schools listed but your SAT is within range.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

Here is some UC statistical data to help gauge your chances. Make sure you have applied to at least 2 safety schools. I think you have a chance at these schools but I would not categorize it as a “good chance” meaning a solid Match schools.

2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCSB: 38%
UCD: 41%
UCI: 38%

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range:
UCSB: 4.16 (4.04-4.28)
UCI: 4.13 (4.00-4.25)
UCD: 4.13 (4.00-4.26)

2019 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:
UCSB: 1280-1520
UCD: 1230-1490
UCI: 1250-1510

So if I’m below a 4.0 it’s capped off?

Use https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/ to recalculate your GPA for UC purposes.

UC’s look at 3 GPA’s: Unweighted UC GPA, Capped weighted and Fully Weighted. Use the Rogerhub calculator I listed on my post and then see how you compare.

Thank you !

if 3.9 is your UCGPA - all the UCs you list are unlikely to accept you - but, UCs are subjective so, you have a shot. UCR and UCM - and maybe UCSC are more of a match.

SDSU would be a good alternate.
good luck.

@Gumbymom. thanks for being so informative re: the numbers for UC acceptance criteria. When you say that the 3 GPAs are used in the evaluation, how are they used? Holistically, or is there an actual formula that used?

And just for clarification, what exactly would factor into all the various GPAs?
The UC GPA, capped and weighted= grades from 10-11, for A-G courses, with extra point for up to 8 UC honors courses (greater than a C). But what would be the unweighted and fully weighted UC GPA correspond to? I’m guessing still for 10-11 and A-G courses, but either no weight or all classes weighted?

The calculation of the GPA’s is based on the a-g courses taken 10-11th grades with an extra 1 point/semester for every UC approved Honors, AP, IB or DE course taken during this time.

Unweighted UC GPA is just your 10-11th a-g grades without the weighting
Capped weighted is with up to 8 semesters of honors point weighting
Fully weighted is an unlimited # of honors points for these weighted courses

UC’s have 14 areas of criteria in their application review with GPA/Grades, Test scores, HS course rigor and essays being Very Important.

EC’s are considered important.

Other areas considered:
Outstanding performance in one or more academic subject areas.
Outstanding work in one or more special projects in any academic field of study.
Recent, marked improvement in academic performance, as demonstrated by academic GPA and the quality of coursework completed or in progress.
Special talents, achievements and awards in a particular field, such as visual and performing arts, communication or athletic endeavors; special skills, such as demonstrated written and oral proficiency in other languages; special interests, such as intensive study and exploration of other cultures; experiences that demonstrate unusual promise for leadership, such as significant community service or significant participation in student government; or other significant experiences or achievements that demonstrate the student’s promise for contributing to the intellectual vitality of a campus.

The UC’s tend to be very GPA focused more so than in other areas but your application is reviewed holistically.

If you use the Rogerhub calculator, this is the same formula used by the UC’s to determine your UC GPA’s.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

As a high school senior, my UC GPA is almost a 4.3, however my SAT score is a 1220, would having this low of an SAT score take me out of selection since I am below the 25th percentile?

@Jjcruisin: You need to start your own discussion please.