Grad School Admissions from UMiami

<p>I recently received notice that I've been awarded Miami's Singer Scholarship, and am now leaning toward coming next year. I loved the campus during my visit, as well as the size and course offerings. My only concern is about how a UM degree would prepare me for graduate school admissions at other institutions, particularly in business and law. Assuming I do well in my classes, will I still have a good shot at an elite (Ivy League) grad program after graduation, even though I attended an undergrad school that isn't ranked quite as high? Id be grateful for any info/data anyone can provide.</p>

<p>This sounds like my predicament (I got the Dickinson Scholarship). I do not have an answer for you, but I would like to extend your question to include the sciences, particularly Biology and Neuroscience. Thanks. Where else are you considering?</p>

<p>I can’t help with business or law school, but for biology graduate programs the prestige of your undergraduate institution is largely unimportant. If this were to play a factor, though, UM would be just fine, as in the Med School application process where it is considered to be a tier 1 school.</p>

<p>But for Biology, they don’t care. Just maintain a decent GPA (I’ve heard above a 3.0 is fine, but someone on here said that a 3.5+ is best) and get as much research experience as possible. Publication is optimal and will get you into a very, very good school… but not necessary.</p>

<p>As for ajaku, I assume that if you’re worried about how UM looks to outside schools… well, like I said, it’s considered a Tier 1 (the best) school to medical schools. Don’t know about law or business, though. But, just for reference, we do have the #1 or #2 tax law program in the country! :)</p>

<p>I know a girl that went to St. John’s and just got into Columbia for a Master’s in Speech Pathology. You can get into any grad program from any undergrad program as long as you work hard.</p>