Grade forgiveness?

<p>Here's my story</p>

<p>I first started community college back in 2006 under VCCS school system. Unfortunately back in those days, I could have cared less about school. My mother after high school gave me the option of going to CC or getting kicked out of the house, so I chose school. By some grace of god managed a 3.25 GPA for my first semester, failing one course. The 2nd semester was worse, 3 Fs and a C. I dropped out of community college after that as I did not care for it. </p>

<p>After 3 years of the harsh realities of life without a college degree, I decided to return back to the same school for another go around. My counselor had me retake all of the courses I failed, which I did. Made As in all of the previously failed courses, replacing the failing grades as my school has a grade forgiveness policy. I've been back in school since 2009 and have made straight As in every class so far. My goal is to get into Virginia Tech's engineering department for Computer Engineering or Computer Science. As of right now, my GPA is 3.8. I still have another year of courses in Calculus,physics,engineering,etc before I transfer. My question is will Virginia Tech calculate my failed courses into the transfer GPA? If so, are my chances at getting into the college of engineering pretty dismal even if I've managed President's list every semester for the last 2 years and hopefully As and Bs in the upcoming courses?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Some colleges that have a 2 year program with the Associates in Engineering have a program through Virginia Tech where if you meet a certain GPA and will be completing an Associates Degree, you are automatically accepted into VT’s program.</p>

<p>Also Congrats on your decision to go back to school. I currently work at Dollar General and can’t wait for classes to start back so I can get my degree and never have to go back. haha</p>

<p>I’m just curious, but which VCCS Community College will you be attending? I’m currently catching back up in an Aerospace Engineering degree at New River Community College. I have some Calculus, Physics, and Engineering courses to take as well.</p>

<p>@TomDub</p>

<p>VT & VCCS have a GAA. I don’t know If you are graduation soon, but if you finish an AS engineering with a 3.0 GPA or better, you are guaranteed admissions.</p>

<p>@ Mgaskins09</p>

<p>That is what I was referring to in my message. I didn’t know if it was with all VCCS colleges though. I know that New River Community College does it.</p>

<p>“Some colleges that have a 2 year program with the Associates in Engineering have a program through Virginia Tech where if you meet a certain GPA and will be completing an Associates Degree, you are automatically accepted into VT’s program.”</p>

<p>Completing the Engineering AS degree would require me to take classes that aren’t required by VT like physical education, an extra chemistry class, engineering graphics, etc, or classes that are sketchy on transferring over. Plus, if I decided to do CS that would be more of a waste as CS classes don’t transfer to VT because they’re c++ based. I go to TCC btw</p>

<p>If you take he classes required for the GAA AND you meet all the requirements (A.S. and GPA requirement) the credits from the degree will transfer. </p>

<p>If you have other credits or want to be sure if something transfers, there is a “Credit Transfer” webpage on NOVA’s Virginia Education Wizard on the MyNVCC page.</p>

<p>Are you planning on going there without using the Guaranteed Admissions Agreement???</p>

<p>Engineering Graphics is required by Virginia Tech though. There are two classes at Virginia Tech. The one you take depends on the major you want to do.</p>

<p>Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Electrical Engineering prospects have to take ENGE 1104. It is primarily a programming course.</p>

<h2>Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering majors have to take ENGE 1114, which is equivalent to Engineering Graphics at VCCS Institutions. All students are required to take ENGE 1024 and ENGE 1114/1104 before transferring into an engineering department. That course is the primary reason I am taking classes at New River Community College this Fall. It is so I can transfer to Aerospace.</h2>

<h2>Since you go to Tidewater, I just checked the transfer database. Unfortunately you will have to take a course at a Virginia Tech if you are accepted on transfer. Tidewater does not offer a course that transfers in as ENGE 1104. Before you can declare an engineering major at Virginia Tech that course will need to be completed. </h2>

<p>I’m going to give you some advice though. You are asking your question based on past grades and the likelihood that you would be able to transfer successfully. In my complete honest opinion I think you would be better off just completing the Associates Degree and using the articulation agreement with VCCS colleges to get guaranteed admission. It might take another 2-3 classes, but at least you will have all the courses you need, you will have an Associates degree, you will definitely be attending Virginia Tech as long as finances work out, and you will most likely be able to declare your engineering major. It is going to take you roughly the same amount of time since you won’t be able to go straight into CS or CpE anyway without the ENGE 1104 course.</p>

<p>Thank you for your advice. So you can’t declare a major until completing 1104? What are people placed in who get accepted as transfers and haven’t taken that course? Say I did complete the engineering AS and finished all the general math, science, and lib arts requirements that go with it, I couldn’t take any in-major courses until I’ve completed 1104? </p>

<p>Also, I’ve spoke with a counselor about the articulation agreement, she claims that while the agreement exists, students have been rejected after meeting the requirements due to VT being such a competitive engineering school. Not sure how much truth that holds. </p>

<p>Also also, I definitely understand completing the AS is possibly the best shot I have, but I’m ready to get out of this area now. I know I’d save money by staying in CC and completing the AS, but if I have the chance to go to VT earlier I’d be more than happy to take it. Say I apply to VT in the spring without the AS and get rejected, could I apply again once I obtain the AS? Sorry if it’s a stupid question I’m just unaware of VT’s rules for re applying. Might I also add that my grandfather attended Virginia Tech so I assume that sort of constitutes legacy status? My sister was also accepted but turned it down.</p>

<p>You should ask your adviser at Tidewater if there is a course you can take there that will transfer as ENGE 1104. I didn’t see one when I checked the transfer database.</p>

<p>You are half right when you say “I couldn’t take any in-major courses until I’ve completed 1104?” You can take CS 1114, which is a Java programming course. You need programming experience or credit for ENGE 1024 for that course. There is another CS class you can take as well. I don’t remember the course number. I think it is a course on Media Software Development or something. If you choose to major in Computer Engineering, you can take a C++ Programming course without credit for 1104; however that is the only exception. The rest are Computer Engineering major restricted. You will be unable to register for them until you have ENGE 1104.</p>

<p>Your college does have ENGE 1114 though. If you wanted to major in something like Mechanical, Aerospace, or Ocean then that one would definitely transfer in as ENGE 1114. If you are completely certain about CS or CpE, you will probably be behind a semester when you get to VT.</p>

<p>You won’t be able to declare your major until you get credit for 1104. That is just the way VT is about things.</p>

<p>As for question about what VT does with the transfers without that credit… they place them in General Engineering. General Engineering is the major that all prospective engineering majors are put into. </p>

<p>Later in your message you mentioned applying without the AS and getting rejected. You can reapply the next year regardless of if your credentials change. An Associates Degree would look good on a re-applicant. Yes, VT does look at legacy.</p>