Harvard Language Requirements

I’m currently self-studying Japanese and was wondering if passing JLPT 5 would meet Harvard’s language requirements?

See: http://classics.fas.harvard.edu/college-language-requirement

Short answer - no. Other than SAT Subject Tests/AP/IB, Harvard does not accept outside tests, including JLPT, DELE, DELF, etc. They do offer placement tests for incoming students, but JLPT N5 will not come close to what is needed to get exempted.

I see. So I can still meet their requirements as long as I score high enough on their placement exam. Thank you.

You don’t take the placement test until you’re a student there. OP has some roadblocks to admission.

One would assume you could speak with admissions about taking their placement test to meet their standards so long as the rest of your application is acceptable?

I can also take Subject Tests, if need be.

One should assume nothing. These are not an admissions placement test; they are offered by the individual departments and are offered only to students. So if and when you are accepted and you are actually residing on campus, you could then take the test. Until such time, you would have to make due with a Subject Test or AP test.

Yes, but as @lookingforward indicated you have some road blocks standing in your way. So, this thread is based upon a series of hopes, wishes and dreams. Or, am I missing something? http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/non-traditional-students/1986829-need-some-advice.html#latest

You also should be aware of this: https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/application-process/transferring-harvard-college/transfer-eligibility

I know I’d be applying to Harvard as a transfer. Thank you.

Everything is based on hopes, wishes and dreams until you’re actually accepted into your college. Nothing is guaranteed. The whole point of this thread was so that I would know what routes I could take to meet the language requirements and prepare for them. I have three years of language under my belt, but in case it wasn’t accepted, I was just looking at other options. I’m already studying Japanese on my own, since they don’t offer it anywhere near me, and just wanted to know if passing proficiency tests was worth anything. Obviously not, and now I know to look into Subject Tests or IB tests first.

What is this then?

The chances of being admitted as a transfer at Harvard are lower than as a freshman…approaching zero.

“Everything is based on hopes, wishes and dreams…” Should be based first on strategic awareness.

Which is why I was asking about the requirements. If I know what I need to aim for, I can craft my plan.

Just because there is a small chance doesn’t mean you should never try.

I answered this in post #6 above - that are placement tests offered to students once they matriculate.

@SarenaKay: In the last several years, Harvard has accepted about 12 transfer students from a pool of over 1600 transfer applicants. My guess is about one-third of those transfer admits are recruited athletes unhappy with the playing time they are receiving at their current university. So, Harvard’s “real transfer number” for a non-athlete seeking a transfer admit is about eight. Eight out of 1600, or about a one-half of one-percent (.05%) chance.

With those kind of odds, may I suggest you try a different approach. By all means apply to Harvard, but focus your energies on other colleges where you stand a much better chance of being accepted as a transfer applicant. Here, I’ll get you started: google “transfer web dot com.” There are many wonderful colleges where your chances of being a transfer admit are much higher than Harvard’s. For example:

Best of luck to you!

This will be frank. Look, you have a rocky hs record, ended cc with some issues. Now you’re interested in public health (whether from the people/community orientation or sci research, we don’t know.) You mention Harvard, Caltech, etc, someof the hardest schools to get into, then med school. No standardized tests. No ECs, no volunteering (in life or in the health arena.) Nothing, yet, that shows you’re driven in this direction, are pursuing it, academically and in real life, building the academic and other strengths to succeed in it. Not yet.

You have to understand the tippy tops will go for kids with clean, high-achievement profiles, in academics, and then a balance in ECs that support their future goals, as well as the breadth to show you’re interesting and engaged, likely to be a good add to their campus life and interaction. In many respects, the traditional path works over alternatives. It’s “Show, not just tell.” Not about self studying Japanese.

And then, this confusion over “requirements,” what H will accept for their students, to meet grad requirements, versus what adcoms expect to see, when considering you for admission. The tippy tops want to see a high level of thinking, action and accomplishment. Many kids think it’s more formula- do this, want that. “If I do this, is it good enough?” Not.

So maybe, you try to understand first what they value, from the source, what these colleges say they value and look for- not a forum. Then build a multi-year plan to get there. Be realistic about which colleges will trust in you and the record you present, versus those that cherry pick among kids doing all this, for ages. You may thrive at a less competitive college, where kids can grow at their own pace. Be savvy.

This thread has gotten a little off topic. All I was asking about is language requirement alternatives. I appreciate all your input, it is very valuable. I’m not some naive child who thinks the impossible can happen from a little self studying and a little hard work. Harvard isn’t the only college I am looking at. I have 5 elite schools and 5 safety schools. I find that if I set my goals high and work to meet the requirements of the top schools in the US, even if I’m not accepted into Harvard or the other elites, I’ll still have an impressive resume and achievements that will help me get into a great school.

Thank you, gibby, I will give that a look.

Skie, seems a bit like a catch-22 if you can’t be accepted in Harvard unless you meet their language requirements, but can’t meet the requirements unless you pass their test. All that being said, I’ll just do a Subject Test and be done with it.

Yes, the effort will serve you. That’s a good attitude. Best wishes.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

@SarenaKay: Just to be clear: Harvard has absolutely no foreign language requirements for prospective high school students or prospective transfer applicants. Admissions recommends 4 years of a foreign language in high school, however some students are admitted to Harvard having taken 3 years of a foreign language in high school, while others have been admitted taking 2 years of one foreign language and two years of another foreign language in high school.

Once admitted to Harvard, the university will exempt you from their foreign language requirement for a college degree if you scored a 5 on an AP foreign language test in high school, scored a 700+ on an SAT Subject Test Foreign Language exam, scored a 7 or better on an International Baccalaureate Higher Level Examination, or scored a passing grade on their foreign language exam given to newly admitted students. It’s really not a Catch 22.