Has anyone heard about MERIT scholarships other than Honors?

Just wondering if merit scholarships other than honors have been distributed. Looking for those that have NO financial need component. Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, there are quite a few depending on the department and there are a few general scholarships that are completely merit based as well. Departments and the Financial Aid and Scholarships office put a list of their scholarships on their websites and usually explain whether it is need based, need/merit, or just merit based.

OP’s question is whether any non-honors merit scholarships have been distributed (i.e., offered).

We’ve not heard anything on any of the other merit scholarships either. The web site indicates hearing by mid April.

My son’s attendence (Tech is his first choice) is based on receiving merit aid - he can’t make it without it.

Two big issues with the Tech process for people in that position: (1) you don’t hear back on merit till mid April - way too late (meanwhile, spots are filling up on the housing, which is first come, first serve), and (2) most scholarships are “recruitment” scholarships that pertain only to freshman year, so you can’t budget out your costs for four years. (Subsequent years require re-application, where you aren’t notified till July 1 - so may not find out till midsummer whether you can even afford the coming year.)

Not a good process.

@JustListening‌ Although housing contracts are technically “first come, first serve”, all Freshman are guaranteed housing. Unless your son is looking to live in limited housing that goes to upperclassmen as well (like suite styles or New Hall West), it is not that big of an issue. I had contacts in residence life and there are plenty of first year students who do not put in their housing requests until after May 1 when they’ve committed.

Tech is not that good for merit aid, in my opinion. Too many high achieving, low income students are also applying and a lot of the general financial aid scholarships are toward those students. Many of the substantial scholarships that continue throughout 4 years are within the departments and are even more competitive. I knew of an engineering student in the top 5 of their class, was waitlisted at MIT, and got no merit scholarships from Engineering or otherwise.

It’s really unfortunate that Tech can’t compete with other schools like UVA when it comes to scholarships, especially now that the cost risen so much and is not as affordable as it was 5-7 years ago.

Thanks so much for the feedback. Just have to resign myself to the fact that my son probably won’t get anything. Tech is also his first choice. I knew they weren’t good on merit aid so when he got accepted to honors but no money, I figured he wouldn’t get anything.

Of all the schools my daughter applied to, VT is by far the one that provides the least information. We loved the school, but the admissions and merit scholarship process are the least “user-friendly” that I know. VT should take a look at this issue for next year. Much room for improvement.

Agree on all points. Purdue, Minnesota, UIUC–all provided a lot more feedback or communication. It keeps the students more interested in the University.