Scholarship Opportunities

Hey Everyone, my name is Ryan and I am OOS from New York hoping to attend Virginia Tech.
I have already received 10k a year from Northeastern, but really need merit like that from Tech in order to come. I applied a little late and I know that the honors scholarship opportunities have already passed. Can anyone fill me in without sending me the link to the Virginia Tech website on what i can possibly do to get merit and whether or not applying to honors is still worth it. I loved Virginia Tech when i visited, but i need money!

I can’t speak to your question about honors, but for scholarships in general I know that merit aid is not extremely easy to come by and there’s not that much out there. It’s not impossible to get a merit scholarship, but not very common, especially for OOS (you can see this when you read past threads on this as well). From past experience and reading old threads, getting into honors and getting a scholarship is a bit of a toss up and very competitive, even if you did meet the deadline.

Look into the Stamps Scholarship Program, as well as the college/department you’re applying to. The College of Engineering and Pamplin College of Business offer freshman merit scholarships (again, very competitive) so there is money out there. There are a few scholarships that are only merit based offered on the VT Financial Aid and Scholarships list as well, so it wouldn’t hurt to check those out. Your local/state VT Alumni Association may also offer some scholarships too.

@financiallylost I think the Stamps deadline passed, December 1st or something. Do you know if your automatically considered for the others or do you have to apply?

@NewYork2210‌ Most financial aid and some advertised departmental ones all have applications or an essay of some sort. I’ve heard of people who applied to scholarships from their major and ended up getting other ones that weren’t advertised. Students who are accepted to General Engineering are automatically considered for some scholarships in that department. Additionally, College of Business and College of Liberal Arts have their own scholarship lists available on their website that have info on whether there’s an application process or if there are ones that are automatic.