Hecht Floor Plan

<p>Does anyone know where there are Hecht floor plans online? I've been looking and can't find. My DS has a "small single" in Hecht - wondering how small is "small." If anyone has any experience with one of these rooms, would also be interested in what fits, can we use bed riser (not loft), etc.</p>

<p>Here’s the link to the floor plans.
<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/sa/index.php/residential_life/housing_a-z/room_layouts/[/url]”>Student Affairs I University of Miami;
I didn’t live in one, but I had friends who have; it’s small, but it’s actually a pretty good amount of room for one person. You can use bed risers with any of the beds in any room. My one friend managed to fit a gigantic desktop that he lugged from home, as well as all of the usual stuff including fridge and microwave.</p>

<p>Thank you! I don’t know why I couldn’t find that page! Must be because I was searching for “floor plan” rather than “room layout.”</p>

<p>I just sent you a pm linymom. My D had a small single in Hecht. I’d be happy to send you pictures if you want them. She loved having a single by the way. She was lucky enough to get one her sophomore year in Pearson, and she is staying in the same room her junior year.</p>

<p>Sorry for the long post - My D had a small single in Hecht Pentland and it was SMALL. If you stand in the middle and stretch one arm out – you will touch something - the bed, the desk,etc… First off - we are crazy people - so with this in mind … Some things she/we did to make the room work was 1) Loft the Bed - under the bed went a butterfly chair, a storage ottoman, and a small ikea cabinet (14" wide) with lots of draws. On top of the ikea cabinet went the TV. A clip on light went under the bed too. Also, we wrapped a cord up the side of the lofted bed so, she could have electric for the alarm clock, clip on light, etc… by her bed. then 2) if you can, Remove the Accordian Doors to the Closet and stick them in the corner of the closet – the problem is that the room is so small that the end of the bed is right up against the closet and with the accordian doors it makes it hard to use the full closet – basically if I remember right - you loose almost 20" of closet to the accordian doors. To remove the doors we needed an electric/cordless drill or screwdriver. We screwed everything back in place once the doors were removed as you don’t want to loose the pieces as you have to put the accordian door back up when you move out and they are heavy. We then used a tension rod and hung a curtain up to cover up the closet opening – actually, I used 1-2 shower curtain as it was super wide. Good news is that the closet is HUGE, so lots of space for storage. then 3) up against the bed is a back rest covering up shelves - it sticks out about 12" into the room – so we just removed it and dropped it to the floor, then D had easy access to the shelves and just put baskets there to hold popcorn, chips, etc… 4) The microwave and Refrig went up against the small wall when you first walk in across from the door entryway. Her dad made her a cheap shelving unit that went over this to store supplies but he had to take off the towel rack in order for it to sit against the wall. Also, You will need a surge protector for that plug. 5) As there is only one dresser and the top drawer is locking, she stuck a rolling cart with drawers in her closet for more drawers. 6) Over the door hangers do not work - not enough space to close the door - so we got the power suction hooks – the ones that you need to fold down to get an airlock – and they worked great – so we power suctioned the back of the door with large hooks for towels, bathrobes, etc… 7)decorating - curtains with tension rods on the windows (the windows are narrow and dirty - so you need sheer curtains); area rug on floor - you need to lift the loft bed to slid it under, etc… 8)The makeup mirror is over the dresser - so think about how you want to organize blow dryers, curling irons, etc… We had a blow dryer organizer stuck to the side of the bookcase (this is a good size & holds all her books, etc) that is over the desk. Also a suction shelf on the mirror to hold makeup. She had a tall skinny laundry basket too. And the printer – if you want to store it on the bookcase shelf over the desk, then you need a small deskjet as I think the shelves are narrow 9"? so some of the all in ones are too big. D had a small deskjet that was on the shelf. And we bought her an office chair for the desk chair an had facilities remove the wood desk chair. Good Luck Gidget.</p>

<p>This sounds complicated. At least I have a son so no need for hair supplies. Do you have pictures, gidget? If so, send me a PM and I will send you my email.</p>

<p>I also recommend buying your own desk chair. If you call them, they will pick up the chair that comes in the room. D didn’t loft her bed, but really, the room was very nice. The singles give you a lot more wall space for storage drawers, etc than the doubles. We also used a shower curtain to cover the closet, but we didn’t remove the foldable covers; we just pushed them back. It worked fine. D did not loft her bed, but she did use underbed drawers from the container store (they pull out so you don’t have to remove lids) that are stackable. She had plenty of room for a fridge with microwave and lots of stackable drawers. The room is small, but very liveable. One thing we did put down wall to wall carpet (no pad). It really made a big difference, and because the room is small, was not very expensive. Also, I’m not sure which single Gidget’s D had, but we found out there are 2 sizes of singles. The ones ending in 02 are the larger ones. The AF on my D’s floor had the other single, and she said it was smaller than D’s room (although I never saw it). Oh, and get the extra tall bed risers. They provided lots of room for under the bed and work fine.</p>

<p>I was assigned a single in Hecht, and I’m wondering how many singles there are on each floor in Hecht. I’m hoping that I am not the only one on my floor. BTW, great suggestions dumbo11 and gidget63. Area rugs, window treatments, fabric doors and a chair under the loft…good stuff!!!</p>

<p>I believe there are two singles on each floor, plus the RA.</p>

<p>On each floor there is the RA’s room which is actually a double, and two singles. But depending on the floor, one of the singles is the AF’s room.</p>

<p>Thanks! I am so excited about this.</p>

<p>anyone have pictures of the small single rooms in Hectch??</p>

<p>As said in a different thread, there is a layout on the []<em>[] website. I think that while smaller than a double, the single is more living space per person than the double… My dad went to the []</em>[] back in the day. He told me that he has been in both the hecht singles and doubles, and told me that the singles are well worth the extra money. </p>

<p>My S lived in a double room in Hecht as a freshman and a single room in Hecht as an AF. I thought the double room was quite spacious compared to other colleges. His single room was very cramped. With a bed, a desk, and a chair, there is very little floor space available. </p>

<p>But, what did he think? Which did he prefer? I’ve asked my dad, his opinion was directly opposite of yours. ALso, I have been in the Hecht doubles and thought they were tight.</p>

<p>My S thought the same as me. It didn’t really matter to him as he is easy going. Just go with the flow…</p>