Help with academic reinstatement

Hello!
I was hoping you all would be able to help me with my appeal for reinstatement. I transferred to EMU in January, and got very sick during my first semester. I was briefly hospitalized due to having contracted covid-19 and to this day (5 months later) am still feeling some of the effects. However in comparison to where I was 5 months ago, I am significantly better.
Unfortunately my academic performance suffered significantly during this time. I have to fill out an online appeal form. I am not sure if it should be in standard essay or letter form (meaning should I write it addressed to someone or not?).
Here is what I have written:

Written Statement:

Your typed statement should explain why you have filed this request. It should describe circumstances that occurred in the semester being appealed and focus on what your plan of action is for moving forward in your academic career. Please describe your plan for getting back on track academically. Please include approximate dates in your statement. You must clearly explain the extenuating circumstances that 1) prevented you from being successful in the semester and/or 2) why you believe your condition warrants reinstatement to EMU. Such circumstances could involve, but not limited to, the following:

• Personal health issues
  • Family medical/legal issues
  • Personal legal issues
  • Documented error by university personnel

I tested positive for Covid-19 on March 20, 2021. I had been feeling ill for a week leading up to the positive test result. My symptoms included fatigue, fever, body aches, loss of sense of smell, and shortness of breath. Before getting sick, I was training for a marathon and regularly ran 15+ miles. I could do intense physical activity for upwards of 6 hours and recover within minutes of taking a break. But when I got sick, I went from being this young, active person to someone who needed to take a nap after a 5 minute shower. I couldn’t get out of bed for more than 5 minutes without being extremely exhausted/out of breath. Any movement would cause intense body pain, to the point where standard over-the-counter acetaminophen dosages wouldn’t help. On day 3, I tried to take an exam for one of my classes, but could not finish on time as I struggled to stay awake for the allotted hour I had. My professor was understanding, and allowed me to do an extra credit assignment to make up for the questions I had not been able to answer.
I thought I was recovering by day 5, when the symptoms started to improve. By day 9, I thought I had finally recovered. Then on day 10, I started coughing. Not a lot, but out of precaution I decided to stay in isolation. And on day 12, things took a turn for the worse. I woke up early that morning to record the audio for a presentation that was due that afternoon. My professor was aware of the circumstances and allowed me to record my presentation rather than have to give it live via zoom. As I started recording, I realized I could barely speak for a minute without needing to take a break. But I pushed through. A 12 slide presentation ended up requiring 24 audio clips, each ~ 30 seconds. I submitted my presentation and immediately went back to sleep. But when I woke up a few hours later, I could feel my heart having multiple episodes of palpitations, for no reason. This made me realize something else was happening. So I called my cardiologist, who told me to get to the hospital. He was concerned that I had developed a blood clot. When I got to the emergency room, my oxygen was stable at rest. But then they had me walk a few minutes, and it dropped quite low on ambulation. A few hours and a dozen tests later, they determined I had developed bilateral pneumonia. My oxygen levels continued to drop, and so I was admitted. During my time there, they continued to monitor my oxygen levels, and I was briefly put on oxygen. But thankfully my lungs responded to the medication, and I was able to be taken off the oxygen and sent home a few days later.

For the 10 days after I was released, I remained in complete isolation at home, lacking the energy to do even the most basic of functions such as shower or use the restroom. My chest felt like there was a band wrapped tightly around it, and it hurt to breathe. For weeks, I struggled to move without feeling winded.

I wish I could say I have fully recovered from covid. It has been close to 5 months since I first tested positive, and to this day I am still dealing with a myriad of long term effects. The intense brain fog lasted approximately 4 months, during which time I would lose track of time and get disoriented walking around my own neighborhood. There would be periods of time in which I’d be sitting, staring off into space, completely unaware as to how many hours had passed. I am thankful that with time those tow symptoms have resolved, as my primary care doctor could not be bothered to order further testing and was adamant that all of that was “normal” post-covid. I also continue to have intermittent shortness of breath, fever, fatigue, and body aches. The sad reality is there is still so much doctors don’t know about this virus. I’ve been advised to treat the symptoms as they come, and to seek emergency care only if my fever rises above 103 degrees Fahrenheit or my oxygen levels drop below the safe threshold. The shortness of breath happens sporadically, mainly in the evenings when I am exhausted. I’ll be seated at my desk, and out of nowhere I’ll start gasping for air. My oxygen level drops from 98% to 92%, but these episodes only last for 1-2 minutes. My doctor went ahead and ordered further evaluations, and I was eventually put on medication to help provide some relief.

But what affects me the most is the fatigue. It kills me, not being able to be as physically active as I once was. I have been able to return to exercise, albeit at 20% of the intensity/duration that it used to be. Most days, I’ll get 8-9 hours of sleep and still need to take a nap after 3 hours of being awake. I am a person who needs intense physical activity daily in order to be able to focus throughout the day. I am on medication for ADHD, which has helped immensely with that aspect, but it still not enough.

More recently, I have tested positive for Epstein Barr virus. I went into a local urgent care to get tested for strep, as swallowing had become increasingly painful. While there, they tested me for Streptococcus, Infectious Mononucleosis, and Epstein Barr. The rapid mono came back negative, but the blood test that was sent out came back positive for Epstein Barr, specifically long term antibodies. This test confirmed that I’ve been one of the unlucky few to have EBV before, and have it lay dormant in my body until it suddenly reactivated. It acts like an autoimmune disease, causing fever, swollen glands and tonsils, and peripheral neuropathy for weeks on end.

Despite all of this, I am grateful to be alive. Everyday I give thanks to my friends, family, and medical team, who have played a crucial role in supporting me throughout my recovery. I am not asking for you to take pity on me. No. What I am asking is that you consider all the hard work and energy that I’ve put into my recovery, and how things would’ve turned out if I had been able to use all of that on my school work instead. My health took priority these past two semesters, but now that I am on the mend, school comes first.

In order to succeed, there must be balance between health and academics. My plan for next semester does just that. I am currently in the process of finding a new primary care physician, one who will listen to my concerns and acknowledge them, and who is willing to help me find answers rather than dismiss those concerns. I will continue working with my therapist to develop concentration, relaxation, and communication skills. As an autistic woman who was diagnosed as an adult, it’s taken me years to learn how to properly advocate for myself, but over time I have made significant improvements in that aspect.

In terms of my academics, I will take full use of all the support resources EMU has to offer. The biggest thing I have trouble with is sticking to a consistent study routine. So in order to stay on track, I will set up weekly meetings with a peer Success Coach. We can come up with a study plan for each of my classes and I can be held accountable to someone other than myself to stay on track each week. So far, tutoring has not been offered for any of my courses, but I will continue to check the schedule in case it becomes available. If it does, I will attend at least one session per week, to use it as a guided study time and also to ask any questions I may have. I have trouble concentrating on my own, so I will organize or find study groups for each of my classes. Even if we just meet for an hour a day, it will significantly help me stay focused by being around others who are also working on the same material I am. I will also spend my afternoons studying in areas that are populated by others doing the same. Before I got sick, I found a few key study spots on campus where I could focus. These included the area by the dome in the Halle Library, the stairwell lounge in the student center, and the lounge across from the University Bookstore. I am not opposed to finding new study spots, but these three were my go-to places during my brief period on campus.

I will also make use of the Disability resource center, to get testing and in-class accommodations appropriate for my needs. While I am not sure if I can get accommodations for the post-covid symptoms at this point (due to the lack of support from my primary care doctor), I can get help for my other conditions: Autism, ADHD, and Anxiety. Accommodations include extended test time, alternate testing location, access to a written schedule for assignments (as well as any changes that are made throughout the semester), permission to audio record lectures, and access to peer notes from each class. I will also check-in with my DRC advisor and academic advisor every two weeks, to let them know how things are progressing and what I am struggling with at the time.

I have spent the better part of 5 months recovering from an illness that to this day continues to affect my life in one way or another. Compared to where I was back in March, I would say that I have made significant steps towards my recovery. With all of that now behind me, I can now switch my focus towards my academics, and put all my energy into being the best student and best EMU Eagle I can be.

First off, I’m glad that you are doing better and recovering!

Were you able to get a medical withdrawal for the semester? If not, is it possible to get it retroactively?

In terms of the appeal letter, IMO this is much, much too long and doesn’t really convey that you are fully recovered and able to go back to school.

The university doesn’t need this level of detail about your illness. Keep that part brief. I would tell them you were hospitalized with Covid, had long haul symptoms, and now that you have recovered you can turn your focus back to your academics. I would not give them reason to think that you are not fully recovered.

The bulk of your letter should be the back half of what you wrote - How you are going to succeed in school. That you are working with the therapist, have medical support, will use EMU resources, etc…

I’m concerned about you pulling in your other diagnoses. Were those issues impacting your grades prior to you getting Covid? If not, I’d leave that part out. Hopefully someone else here will have more insight into that part of your letter but my gut says to leave that out.

Basically you want this appeal letter to highlight that you are ready for success!

2 Likes

I will PM you. Please look at your PM notification next to your avatar top right.

I actually think the first half with the description of your illness is important.

If you are not recovered, you should not go back yet.

They will want documentation, and might want you to meet with their physician.

Most importantly, why on earth did you continue to do your work while so sick with COVID? You should have had accommodations- it’s great that a couple of professors accommodated you but that is a right, not a favor.

Why didn’t you do a medical withdrawal? In that case your grades are wiped clean and your transcript is protected, and you are also not dismissed. You absolutely need to pursue this retroactively.

As an autistic person, with ADHD, you should be registered with the Disabilities Office. Regardless of Long Covid.

I am not convinced about the Epstein-Barr. Maybe that is what the primary care doctor had a problem with?

I am just stunned that a person who got this sick with COVID ended up dismissed from school. Did the school know? Did you give them documentation? Is anyone advocating for you?

Talk to a dean. You should not even have to write this and your grades should be erased with a retroactive medical withdrawal.

2 Likes

Agree with above. Once reinstated, please visit the disabilities office and get some accommodations in place for the autism/adhd, and for the physical disability of long haul Covid.

Thank you for your feedback. Perhaps it was not clear in my letter, I had been receiving accommodations for those conditions prior to getting sick. How would you suggest I add that in?

Hello!
Thank you for your feedback. The professors were individually made aware. My advisor did tell me about the retroactive withdrawal. I am submitting applications for the academic reinstatement and retroactive medical withdrawal, as was advised to me. I have equal chances of getting either one of those approved.

Thank you! I will check my messages shortly. I was trying to say that over time the symptoms have lessened and I have also learned to cope with them, but it appears that was not clear. How would you suggest that I express this?
I am pursuing the retroactive withdrawal as well. This is more of a precaution incase that does not go through.
I was registered with the DRC before getting sick. I added that in another draft that I wrote after sharing this here. Perhaps I’ll update the post with the newer draft.

The EBV was something the urgent care doctor diagnosed/tested for, not my primary care. The way it was explained to me is that in some cases, once you’ve had the virus before, it lays dormant until some stressor reactivates it. Though it does explain all of my symptoms post-covid, I can’t be sure if it was that all along or if it’s just a strange coincidence.

So basically shorten that first part into 1-2 shorter paragraphs of how covid knocked me down, landed me in the hospital, and the long term effects (and how I’ve learned to cope with them)?
I put the other diagnosis in to show that I was actively getting help before getting sick, and that it was working. Perhaps I should emphasize that I was doing well before getting sick?

Please read my private message. I provided edits. I think the illness with COVID is primary unless you were not doing well before that, which apparently is not the case. So, with certain edits, I think a lot of that is powerful and should remain.

I think the part about how you will succeed can therefore be shorter, since without COVID, I assume you were doing okay.

You can remind them you are autistic, have ADHD and anxiety BUT before COVID were doing okay, and that you plan to continue to…and also start… but not too wordy, just straightforward.

I demonstrated these ideas with my suggested edits via PM.

My main concern- and this will be the school’s as well- is whether you are healthy enough to attend yet. Much of this essay would suggest not, so if you ARE healthy, you need to address that. You get caught up in wanting sympathy, I think, and if you are sick enough for sympathy, take another leave for the fall!

Hello everyone,
I made some edits based off your feedback. I thought I would be able to edit the original post but it appears that is not possible. So I’m hoping some of you will scroll far enough to see the new version. Thank you all for your help.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing this letter to appeal my dismissal from Eastern Michigan University. I received the notice of dismissal a few days ago, and would like to take this opportunity to explain the circumstances that led up to my poor performance, and to plead my case for reinstatement. I am confident that moving forward, I will be able to demonstrate my exceptional academic performance if given a second chance.

I transferred to Eastern Michigan this past January, joining in the prestigious College of Health and Human Services to complete my bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science. In those first two months, I stayed on top of my academics, albeit taking a bit longer than my peers to understand the material. I do have a documented learning disability, for which I receive accommodations from the Disability Resource Center. I was doing well, staying on top of my assignments and spending as much time as I could on campus studying.

I tested positive for Covid-19 on March 20, 2021. I had been feeling ill for a week leading up to the positive test result. My symptoms included fatigue, fever, body aches, loss of sense of smell, and shortness of breath. I couldn’t get out of bed for more than 5 minutes without being extremely exhausted, out of breath, and in pain. On day 3, I tried to take an exam for one of my classes, but could not finish on time as I struggled to stay awake for the allotted hour I had. My professor was understanding, and allowed me to do an extra credit assignment to make up for the questions I had not been able to answer.

I thought I was recovering by day 5, when the symptoms started to improve. By day 9, I thought I had finally recovered. Then on day 10, I started coughing. And on day 12, things took a turn for the worse. I woke up early that morning to record the audio for a presentation that was due that afternoon. My professor was aware of the circumstances and allowed me to record my presentation rather than have to give it live via zoom. As I started recording, I realized I could barely speak for a minute without needing to take a break. But I pushed through. I submitted my presentation and immediately went back to sleep. But when I woke up a few hours later, I could feel my heart having multiple episodes of palpitations, for no reason. This made me realize something else was happening. So I called my cardiologist, who told me to get to the hospital. He was concerned that I had developed a blood clot. When I got to the emergency room, my oxygen was stable at rest. But then they had me walk a few minutes, and it dropped quite low on ambulation. A few hours and a dozen tests later, they determined I had developed bilateral pneumonia. My oxygen levels continued to drop, and so I was admitted. During my time there, they continued to monitor my oxygen levels, and I was briefly put on oxygen. But thankfully my lungs responded to the medication, and I was able to be taken off the oxygen and sent home a few days later.

For the 10 days after I was released, I remained in complete isolation at home, lacking the energy to do even the most basic of functions such as shower or use the restroom. My chest felt like there was a band wrapped tightly around it, and it hurt to breathe. For weeks, I struggled to move without feeling winded.

I wish I could say I have fully recovered from covid. It has been close to 5 months since I first tested positive, and to this day I am still dealing with a myriad of long term effects. I am thankful that with time those symptoms have resolved. I do continue to have intermittent shortness of breath, fever, fatigue, and body aches. With the help and support of my doctors and family, I have learned how to cope with these, and strategies to minimize the impact they have on me.

Everyday I give thanks to my friends, family, and medical team, who have played a crucial role in supporting me throughout my recovery. My health took priority these past two semesters, but now that I am on the mend, school comes first.

In order to succeed, there must be a balance between health and academics. My plan for next semester includes working with a primary care physician, and continuing to work with my therapist to develop concentration, relaxation, and communication skills. As an autistic woman who was diagnosed as an adult, it’s taken me years to learn how to properly advocate for myself, but over time I have made significant improvements in that aspect.

In terms of my academics, I will take full use of all the support resources EMU has to offer. I will set up weekly meetings with a peer Success Coach. I will organize or find study groups for each of my classes.

I will also make use of the Disability resource center, to get testing and in-class accommodations appropriate for my needs, which include Autism, ADHD, and Anxiety. I will also check-in with my DRC advisor and academic advisor every two weeks, to let them know how things are progressing and what I am struggling with at the time.

I have spent the better part of 5 months recovering. My doctor and therapist can attest to the significant improvements that I’ve made these last few months, and that I am more than well enough to return to campus this fall. With all of that now behind me, I can now switch my focus towards my academics, and put all my energy into being the best student I can be.

Tell them right in the first paragraph about your Covid diagnosis.

1 Like

The best advice I can give you is to throw it out and start from scratch. This essay does not help you meet your goals, and trying to modify it will ultimately take far more effort than starting over writing just what needs to be said. No less, and no more. (Adding more can’t help you)

You need to say three things:

(1) You withdrew for medical reasons. “Hospitalized with Covid” is enough. They do not need to know the symptoms, and they certainly do not need to know what happened on what day.

(2) Did you follow the school’s procedure on what to do in this case? If not, why not? “I was in the hospital” is a good reason why not.

(3) What you want to happen, and why you think it will work. This is especially true since you say you haven’t fully recovered.

I would suggest you write one paragraph for each and see where it gets you. It may take a bit more for #3.

But don’t try and save text from your first draft. Those words are not helping you. Fortunately, there are more where they came from.

3 Likes

My take away from your letter is that you are not recovered. As such, I would be very hesitant to reinstate you based on what you have written.

If you think you can handle going back to school, don’t give the university any reason to think you won’t be successful.

This letter should say that you want a medical withdrawal for last semester due to being hospitalized with Covid and are now seeking academic reinstatement. The university doesn’t need, nor want, to know the details. Keep it short and simple. You were sick in the hospital and had a long recovery.

This paragraph should be the crux of your letter:
“I have spent the better part of 5 months recovering. My doctor and therapist can attest to the significant improvements that I’ve made these last few months, and that I am more than well enough to return to campus this fall. With all of that now behind me, I can now switch my focus towards my academics, and put all my energy into being the best student I can be.”

Then talk about using support resources, success coach, study groups, advisor etc…and how you will be successful.

If you are continuing to struggle with long haul Covid, consider talking to the school about going back part time if that’s affordable and doesn’t impact scholarship money.

Very good advice. Keep it clear and concise.

I didn’t medically withdraw. In fact, I was not aware that was an option until someone else suggested it. My academic advisor didn’t mention that option when I spoke to her, I had to be the one to suggest it. So perhaps something along the lines of
“At the time of my illness, I was not aware of the option to medically withdraw. If I had known about this, I would have pursued that solution immediately. While I would still like to pursue a retroactive withdrawal for medical reasons, my first priority is to be able to return to classes this fall. My performance during this period of illness does not reflect who I am as a student, and as such, I will do what is necessary to prove my worth.”

i sent you a couple more edits in a PM.

I strongly disagree with others about being more concise. Usually I would agree but this description of COVID as it developed is powerful and convincing. You are a young person and they need to see the details of how sick you became. Keep it.

I think your addition in last post is a good idea.

I also noted in my PM that it is confusing when you say you still have symptoms but that your illness is resolved. You could say “while I still have some symptoms, my illness is mostly resolved and I am ready to return to school.”

Are you sure you are ready? Make sure! There is no rush.

You were ill served by the advisor. I hope you get the medical withdrawal, which would remove the need for this letter entirely since your bad grades would be erased.

1 Like

A family member is a professor and says the university totally failed you here. In their experience, deans get involved and tell the professor to give a student incompletes, or facilitate a medical withdrawal. The fact that you weren’t helped and were dismissed from the school after being so sick is unusual to say the least. Did anyone besides your advisor know you were in the hospital? Is there a reason the advisor didn’t tell a dean?

My professors knew. I am not sure why the advisor wouldn’t tell a dean. I did get an incomplete for ONE course during the spring semester, but not the others. To be honest, this whole situation is a mess and I’m just trying to stay in school first, then clean-up what I can once my placement is secure.