Hendrix College EA for Fall 2013

<p>D applied early October. Did anybody received acceptances by now since they suppose to be on rolling basis?</p>

<p>do you have an admission counselor you met with at the school on a tour?
if your child calls and very nicely asks the status without being pushy , I think a school like that what not hold it against them.however I would wait until after thanksgiving if you still have not heard.(never have a parent call IMO) the waiting game can be nerve racking.</p>

<p>zobroward - thanks for your advice. My D received phone call and email from admission to discuss Hays application, so I hope it is a good sign. What can you tell me about Hendrix?</p>

<p>If they are considering your daughter for the Hays scholarship, she’s in–it’s a full-ride scholarship for top students, and the minimum requirements are a 32 ACT/1410 SAT (CR/M)/3.6 GPA. </p>

<p>My son was invited to apply for the Hays but wasn’t able to participate. He is a freshman at Hendrix now and absolutely adores it. His classes are challenging, he loves his professors and advisors, and the campus culture is fantastic. It is a nurturing, innovative school that prepares students for literally anything they want to do. We could not be happier with our choice. Feel free to PM me if you would like more information.</p>

<p>Thanks Sally, will contact you as more questions arise. From the conversation with admission, my D felt that she will be accepted. Will apply for Hays for sure and if selected will go visit in March. Her concern is being in predominately southern surrounding, but in the same time she is very excited to get out of her comfort zone and meet completely different people. What a challenge to be 17 and have all these options!</p>

<p>We live in the Midwest so it was a big change for our son too. But Arkansas has its charms, especially for a kid who loves the outdoors. The state parks and other natural attractions are wonderful. We first visited campus in late March when the azaleas were in full bloom. The prospect of studying and hanging out outdoors was a big plus for him.</p>

<p>My daughter is a freshman at Hendrix and so happy. We’re from Memphis, and I was was concerned that a dazzling urbanite (kidding,Blazing Saddles allusion) would be happy in rural Arkansas. Challenging, fun, nurturing. Couldn’t have asked for more.</p>

<p>sally & midtowner - thank you so much for your replies! Does any of your kids are taking fresh bio & chem?</p>

<p>D received an acceptance package today with $20K academic scholarship + $5K odyssey! The best deal so far! Very happy!</p>

<p>Very happy for you! Is she going to compete for the Hays scholarship? Either way, you should visit. It’s a special place.</p>

<p>Just to offer some info from a northern, my S did not choose Hendrix but it was purely because he received a better financial package elsewhere. We loved the atmosphere, the campus, academics etc. I would highly recommend.</p>

<p>Thanks, sally & murmur! D will apply for Hays and if invited to compete, will visit on Mar 1 & 2.
The weather is probably great that time of the year in Arkansas! She will also apply for Miller’s award for comm service.</p>

<p>Just received my acceptance letter from Hendrix. Unfortunately I can’t go for the Hays scholarship due to being shy of the ACT requirement.</p>

<p>Generous scholarship though, and applying for the Leadership Scholarship as well. Chances are I’ll be at Hendrix next fall.</p>

<p>track - congrats! Are you from AR? Have you visited? My D will apply to comm service scholarship and possibly Hays. Will visit in March</p>

<p>Unfortunately I am not from Arkansas. I am from Illinois, but I have visited twice!</p>

<p>track - we are from IL too! It seems that Hendrix is not very popular with Midwest kids (33 total, 3 from IL). Good luck to you. Where else you applying?</p>

<p>^I think it just isn’t that well known (yet). My son has friends there from the Chicago area and the Twin Cities, but not many. It’s definitely more popular in the south.</p>

<p>One thing that has surprised us is how incredibly easy it is to get him to and from school. There are nonstop flights to LR from O’Hare several times a day, and it’s super-easy to get from the airport to campus with either the shuttle or a ride from a friend (a lot of kids have cars). We live two-plus hours from O’Hare and he can still do the entire trip door to door in about five hours!</p>