Hispanic Students Class of 2016 Official Results thread

<p>@entomom - sorry for the delay, those are merit awards</p>

<p>Lachicabuena great to see another Dominican on here! And entomom I applied regular to WashU, but was notified of my acceptance/finalist status in early Feb. Excited, but not sure if I want to attend now.</p>

<p>@mysticalheavens</p>

<p>Congrats on getting accepted to WashU! I am a Rodriguez finalist myself, and it is always nice to meet a fellow Hispanic interested in the school. No matter where you decide to go, you should be very proud! Rice is also a very good school and you can’t go wrong with either choice. :)</p>

<p>^Congrats to both of you as Rodriguez finalists! We have a good friend who was a Rodriguez scholar and had a wonderful experience at WUSTL.</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I: Did not sent
ACT: COMPOSITE (30), ENG (33), MATH (31), READING (29), SCIENCE (27)
SAT Subject Tests: US HISTORY (690), SPANISH (740)
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.65
Weighted GPA: 4.25
AP: US HIST (4), ENGLISH AND COMPOSITION (3), EURO HISTORY (3)
IB: IB CHEM SL (4) (THE REST ARE BEING TAKEN SENIOR YEAR)
Senior Year Course Load:
IB STATISTICS AND DIFFERENTIAL CALCULUS, IB SPANISH 5 SL, IB HISTORY OF THE AMERICAS HL, IB ENGLISH HL, IB BIOLOGY HL, IB THEORY OF KNOWLEDGE
Major Awards: NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY, NATIONAL SPANISH HONOR SOCIETY, NATIONAL ENGLISH HONOR SOCIETY, AP SCHOLAR, FLORIDA READY TO WORK GOLD CREDENTIAL
Subjective:
Extracurriculars:
CLUB SOCCER (7 YEARS)
IB RELAY FOR LIFE- SECRETARY (2 YEARS)
INTERACT CLUB- SECRETARY (3 YEARS)
KEY CLUB- MEMBER (2 YEARS)
PIANO CLASSES (6 YEARS)
Job/Work Experience: NONE
Volunteer/Community service:
MUSEUM VOLUNTEER (77 HOURS)
FEEDING AMERICA VOLUNTEER (66 HOURS)
UNITED HANDSON VOLUNTEER (20 HOURS)
Common App Main Essay: An essay about my Colombian background and how it’s influence my life and my perspective.
EC Short Answer: IB Relay for Life Club
Teacher Recommendation 1: ENG TEACHER - Very Good
Teacher Recommendation 2: SPANISH TEACHER - Very Good
Counselor Rec: Knows me very well, and I read the recommendation. It was very good.
State: FLORIDA
School Type: PUBLICe
Educational level of parents: Father/Project manager; Mother/Business analyst
Income level: —
Other hooks: Hispanic
Colleges
Major: PUBLIC HEALTH- College of Arts & Sciences
Accepted:
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHAPEL HILL
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA
UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA
Deferred:
UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME
Denied: NONE YET
Likely attending: I’m still waiting on Columbia, Duke, WUSTL, NYU, Vanderbilt…
Strengths: Music, ECs, essays
Weaknesses: semi-low GPA
General Comments:
Tip:
How to Impress Adcoms with your Extracurriculars
Essay Advice: Tips for “Why this school?” essay</p>

<p>Son was accepted to WUSTL today. Also heard that he got a Cornelius Vanderbilt full tuition scholarship!</p>

<p>Congratulations to everyone on the list!</p>

<p>@sbjdorlo- your son is cleaning up! congrats to both of you. please be sure to post where he ends up. cheers.</p>

<p>Congrats to sbjdorlo’s S and anyone else receiving good news! Best of luck on end of the month decisions.</p>

<p>The weekend was a busy one. Son was also accepted to Caltech!
Thank-you for the well wishes and keep those acceptances coming. :-)</p>

<p>Hi guys. I haven’t visited this thread but would like to share my success. I am a gates finalist and have received likely letters to Dartmouth, Columbia, and Fordham along with early writes to Williams and Bowdoin :slight_smile: let’s clean it up this year! I love our culture :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I (breakdown): First: 2060 (CR690, M660, W710, E 11) Second: 2230 (CR710, M790, W730, E 10)
[</em>] ACT: First: 32 (E29/M30/R33/S36/E10) Second: 34 (E36/M33/R36/S31/E11)
[<em>] SAT II: 720 Math I, 710 Bio M
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0. 104.218 weighted on 100 pt scale.
[<em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 2/262
[</em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): World History - 3 (10th grade)
[<em>] IB (place score in parenthesis): All being taken in May
[</em>] Senior Year Course Load: Band, IB Eng A1 HL, IB Bio SL, IB Span B HL, IB Math SL, IB ToK, IB HoA HL, IB Music SL, IB Mentoring, Economics
[<em>] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Hispanic Scholar and National Merit Commended (first in my school in A WHILE). Gates Finalist.
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[</em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): (Drumline and all percussion endeavors in the Band (also going to state for a snare solo and was second chair percussion in my district honor band)), (Mu Alpha Theta Founder and President), History Club, Model UN, NHS, Interact Club
[<em>] Job/Work Experience: Some with family business
[</em>] Volunteer/Community service: 100+ (935 hours of CAS in IB)
[<em>] Summer Activities: Duke TiP from 2007 - 2010, Minority Introduction to Engineering and Science (MITES) in 2011, Dartmouth Bound in 2011
[</em>] Essays: Loved the first one. About my father and unique circumstances. Very bold and emotional in my eyes. Other essays were all strong imo, but I definitely preferred some over others.
[<em>] Teacher Recommendation: I didn’t see them, but my bio teacher felt bad when I got deferred from Yale because she said she was too strict on my common one. I dunno how that’ll go…
[</em>] Counselor Rec: No clue in the slightest.
[<em>] Additional Rec: N/A
[</em>] Interview:
[/ul]Other[ul]
[<em>] Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
[</em>] Intended Major: Biology: Cellular, Molecular, and Developmental
[<em>] State (if domestic applicant): TX
[</em>] School Type: Inner-city Public in an underfunded and “Academically Unacceptable” (according to TEA) campus
[<em>] Ethnicity: Hispanic, roots from Mexico
[</em>] Gender: Male
[<em>] Income Bracket: Under the cutoff for full aid.
[</em>] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM, First in a TRUE college (Dad dropped out and mom has a license but not a degree)
[/ul]Reflection[ul]
[<em>] Strengths: Writing, scores relative to location, doing as much as I can in my school, summer programs.
[</em>] Weaknesses: Lack of EC and leadership positions[/ul]</p>

<p>Congrats Toasty and best of luck with the Gates, Y & H! You’re going to have a tough choice to make this spring.</p>

<p>sbjdorolo, Princeton and Caltech! Congratulations to you and your child.</p>

<p>Sbjdorolo, congrats!
Thanks entomom, I’m really hoping for Yale, above all:) </p>

<p>Sent from my SPH-D710 using CC</p>

<p>lolToasty,</p>

<p>Well done!! You must be so excited about all the great choices you’ll have!</p>

<p>Perazziman and lolToasty, thank-you for your kind words. :-)</p>

<p>MIT and an early write from Cornell. All for you, guys! Thank you for all the support :slight_smile: </p>

<p>I’ve just come across this thread! I’ve been accepted to UMich, Northeastern, USC, and Cornell. I also received a call from a Boston University student back in February and he hinted that I was in so yeah.</p>

<p>Congratulations lolToasty</p>

<p>Nice February! Keep it up :slight_smile: where are you planning on attending?
Thank you :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Hey lolToasty,</p>

<p>Congratulations! Add my son to the MIT admits, too. :-)</p>

<p>February, nice to see you here and a big, hearty congratulations!</p>

<p>Wonderful news for all! Continued congrats to sbjdorlo’s S and welcome to new posters!</p>