Hispanic Students Class of 2016 Official Results thread

<p>I recently just saw this too…
I’ve been accepted to LMU and CsULB so far… Waiting on the UCs and Boston College and University. I got the same call from BU as well!
Congrats on everyone so far:)</p>

<p>Sbjdorlo, I’m super proud of your son! That’s awesome! MIT was tough this year. Glad he made it :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Good job edreed! </p>

<p>Sent from my SPH-D710 using CC</p>

<p>Congrats to all of you!! You should be very proud.</p>

<p>As of today, I’ve been accepted to UT Austin, USC, Vanderbilt, and WashU. Still waiting to hear from Northwestern and Princeton.</p>

<p>I’m going to have a tough choice to make next month for sure.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! Congrats to all the posters as well! :)</p>

<p>Toasty, my top choice is USC because I’ll be majoring in business and so far Marshall has all the resources I need starting freshmen year. I’m also nominated for a presidential scholarship so we’ll see. Cornell makes my decision tough, though. I’m thinking of visiting in April. I also have to wait and hear from Penn, UCLA, BC, Syracuse, and GW. Ultimately, it’ll come down to whichever university helps me out more financially. Hope things work out for you and all your great choices!</p>

<p>Edreed, nice! Idk anyone else who’s received the call</p>

<p>S has been accepted to MIT, Swarthmore, WUSTL and likely letters from Rice, Cornell, Columbia, and Dartmouth. He is super excited and still waiting to hear from HYPS on the 29th. Good luck everyone.</p>

<p>Wow! Congratulations to Tripletime, Ronaldo, and Edreed! It seems that this year’s applicants have gotten amazing acceptances!! Wow, I know you students and parents must be really thrilled with the results. :-)</p>

<p>Your son got a million ll’s too, tripletime? Nice! </p>

<p>Sent from my SPH-D710 using CC</p>

<p>Thought I’d add my son to the growing list. Congrats to everyone! My son was accepted EA to Princeton and so far has received likely letters from both Stanford and Brown. Those are the only schools he applied to.</p>

<p>I must say that I was surprised about the likely letters. He is a top student at a very tough school and he has received some national level recognition. But still, are top Hispanic students still that rare?</p>

<p>SooMoo: After my son’s experience a few years ago I decided to leave my profession and go back to school for a certificate in counseling the high school students for college admissions. Being Latino I was surprised at the low number of high-achieving Latinos in programs such as the NHRP so I looked into the issue further. Yes unfortunately the number of “top Hispanic student” is still rare. However there are more efforts these days at helping Latino students improve academically. Summer scholarship programs; programs like Questbridge which help with SAT Prep are some examples. Another movement that is gaining ground is the creation of “charter middle schools” for Latino students. Such school focus their efforts on Latinos 6th to 8th graders who typically are a grade or lower behind. These schools meet approximately 8 hours a day for 10-11 months a year. It takes a lot of commitment by the students/parents but the results are incredible. I do some volunteer work at such a school and am inspired by the teachers and students. We are seeing some good results from these students in high school. Also I have found culturally some Hispanic families are “scared” or "reluctant’ to have their children apply to schools out of state and one thing I have had to work on is getting these families to agree to sending their children away for college. </p>

<p>As far as the recent college admission results posted I just want to say “Wow”. A big round of applause goes to the students for the hard work I know it took to get accepted to such colleges and a even bigger round of applause to the parents here on the Hispanic forum who supported their children and I know did a lot of work to help their children in the college application process. </p>

<p>Although I respect everyone’s privacy if some of the recently accepted students could post their stats it would really help other Hispanic students in the future in terms of helping them gage what it takes to get accepted to these colleges.</p>

<p>Soomoo,</p>

<p>Incredible!! Congratulations! It must be nice to have applied to so few schools. My son applied to 10 because we heard so many horror stories of rejections. He did 3 safeties and then the rest were, well, all reaches I guess, simply because of unknown. He’s been accepted to 8/8 and is waiting on Harvey Mudd and Penn. </p>

<p>I think it will come down to 4-5 schools. We’ll compare aid packages, let him think about his visits, and then he’ll have to make a decision.</p>

<p>It’s been quite a year here!</p>

<p>itsv,</p>

<p>You know, it’s not the Hispanic part of my son that was fighting against tradition. Truthfully, it was a combination of factors. Dh isn’t college educated and has been relatively uninvolved. Our neighborhood is a place where kids just don’t go to any nice colleges (usually it’s no college, community college, or the local state u. for a few)</p>

<p>Even in our circle of friends, no one but one person from church applied to any selective colleges. Interestingly, she is a high achieving URM (though her dad’s Indian and both parents a high achieving and they are well off, so it’s quite a bit different from our situation).</p>

<p>Fortunately, my son had enough acquaintances in math circle and whatnot and saw that it was ok to reach high (though that decision wasn’t made until late in junior year).</p>

<p>itsv</p>

<p>You sound like an amazing person. I think the world could use a few more of you! This whole experience has been a huge eye opener for me. </p>

<p>Our family story is a bit a typical. My husband grew up in a very poor, urban environment. Through the kindness and intervention of some elementary school teachers, he was identified early as very smart. Thanks to some great mentors and a mom who wanted more for her children he would up at Princeton with full financial aid. Some of his peers wound up in jail.</p>

<p>Fast forward 30 years and his/our children are very well educated and very smart. We know what a difference a good education makes. So my son does not have the disadvantages many others do. In fact he is a legacy at Princeton. So we felt a bit guilty about also having an advantage of being Hispanic, but it is truly his heritage and in the end we decided the colleges could decide what to do with the information. </p>

<p>Sbjdorlo,</p>

<p>Your son will wind up somewhere great. I am hoping it is Princeton. Princeton is an amazing place with a very strong religious component and a very wide diversity of student interests and backgrounds. PM me if you have any questions.</p>

<p>So I was kind of creeping through this thread, and I am SO glad to see so many fellow Hispanics/Latinos taking advantage of the opportunities given to them! It’s so refreshing to see you guys get accepted into so many great schools, AND with good financial aid/merit awards… You all deserve it, and I’m proud of you all! </p>

<p>Good luck in college/the future! :)</p>

<p>Woah! I just read this! =) </p>

<p>Congratulations to everyone! I am a low income ( about 35,000 per year) Mexican immigrant and will be deciding on what college to attend in a month :D. I’ve received likely letters from Dartmouth, Penn, and Cornell. I’ve been accepted at Cal Poly SLO and UCLA… Plus an early write from Middlebury… I am currently ecsatatic because of the likely from my first choice—Dartmouth:)! </p>

<p>I got a 2180 sat (690cr, 720m, 770w, 9 essay) my junior year with no fancy sat prep class or study time. Then I asked my counselor to print me out a practice sat
if she could and she did. I took it the day before this recently passed January sat test date and scored a 2280 (730cr, 760m, 790w, and 9 essay). Also, I got 760 bio m, 730 us history, and 790 Spanish with listening sat 2s. </p>

<p>I was a three sport varsity athlete that succeeded tremendously in soccer. I play club soccer too. I am the president of two clubs at my school for community service, and I founded a math and science program for middle school students (mostly latinos :)!). </p>

<p>I’m Val of my 247 person class with a 3.92/4.45 GPA. Im an “AP Scholar With distinction”. </p>

<p>I am waiting to hear on 4 other ivies, Amherst, UCB, and Johns Hopkins. </p>

<p>If any of you younger Hispanics/other minority students reading this need honest advice with sat’s/extracurriculars/athletics/ or future college apps, then message me and I’ll be more than happy to help you guys out!!!</p>

<p>soccerscholar,</p>

<p>Congratulations so far!! Wow! I can’t imagine how proud your parents are of you! To be a low income immigrant and valedictorian as well as a superstar athlete is simply amazing!</p>

<p>Question: What’s the difference between a likely and an early write? </p>

<p>SooMoo, I will definitely PM you if we have questions. :slight_smile: I’ll be interested to hear my son’s impressions of Princeton this time around. I guess when he gets back, he’ll have only a few days to make a final decision-whew!</p>

<p>I’m also seeing many of you applying to a lot of Ivies. My son was not interested in any except Princeton and Penn for specific reasons. Did a lot of you apply to so many for specific reasons? I’m just curious. SooMoo, it seems your son also was very specific about what he wanted in a school. Once he got his SCEA admittance, your son had the pressure taken off of him and could really hone in on favorites, yes?</p>

<p>I personally never believed I could get into an Ivy, but a couple of weeks before the deadlines for Penn and Cornell, I decided to apply. I applied to Penn because I attended one of their receptions in my city and liked what I saw. I applied to Cornell because I really liked their ILR program. Like I said, I applied not thinking I’d have a chance, but I’ve been admitted to Cornell and I’ll be hearing from Penn on Thursday :)</p>

<p>Congrats to all who have posted and best of luck to everyone on super Thursday!</p>

<p>soccerscholar</p>

<p>Congrats on some great acceptances. I am very impressed!! Good luck with the rest of your schools but no matter what happens you already have some great choices.</p>

<p>february94</p>

<p>Congrats on Cornell. My son spent last summer there doing their summer engineering program and loved it! Good luck with Penn.</p>

<p>sbjororlo</p>

<p>My son is interested in Math or Engineering but he is not quite sure which. He needed a school where he could have the time to figure it out and a school which was not MIT (didn’t like the culture). I think Stanford is and always has been his first choice (much to his Dad’s chagrin). He does plan on doing revisits at both Princeton and Stanford though.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>While I think the level of Hispanic students is rising, there are still relatively few who are competitive for the most selective colleges.</p>

<p>As I posted on a thread on the Admissions forum, likely letters are definitely up this year as never before. Several years ago D1 was admitted to Y EA and into all of her RD schools, including HP, Brown & Amherst, and several schools with merit aid. Zero likely letters. And it was no big deal because no one expected them, they went to recruited athletes and a very few tippy top academic applicants. </p>

<p>They are definitely being used as a recruiting tool this year, analogous to EA/ED in telling candidates “We really like you” ahead of RD in order to try and sway their allegiance.</p>

<p>sbjdorlo: Thank you! I hope they are. I have assumed that an early write is analogous with a likely letter, except for a Liberal Arts school. They both essentially say the same thing; Thanks to your outstanding academic and extracurricular achievements we’d like to ease your stress and make you think of ________ more closely before your official acceptance. </p>

<p>Soomoo: Thank you too! I am waiting for Yale, if I get in (crosses fingers), it’s Dartmouth or that. </p>

<p>Entomom: I definetly agree! Any Hispanic student (who isnt super high income) with a 2150+ sat (32+ act) and 700+ on their subject tests, with a high GPA, decent essays, and decent EC’s, can expect at least one ivy acceptance. These students are not as rare (especially in California) as say 10 years ago, but they’re still pretty rare. I’ve only met three other low income Hispanics with 2250+ sats and they are at Harvard, MIT, and Princeton as freshmen. </p>

<p>Likely letter numbers are rising. This, I think, is because colleges know that more kids are applying to 10 or more schools every year. Thus the most desirable applicants will have a lot of options come April. </p>

<p>Good luck to all you students and to the sons and daughters of all you thoughtful parents posters!</p>