Honest Reflection of Loyola Experience From Recent Graduate

<p>I just graduated from Loyola, so I figured it'd be fitting if I said a few words about it. Keep in mind I'm not out to bash the university here, but at the same time, I want to give you an honest idea of what I thought of my experience.</p>

<p>1) Campus life at Loyola is depressing. There's never anything going on on campus, there's no sense of pride or community among the students, and after their first or second year, most kids don't even live on campus anymore, instead relocating to nearby apartments with other students. You definitely don't get the "true" college experience like you would in a college town. Of course, you kind of expect that going in since Loyola is located in Chicago, but I think you'd still be surprised at just how boring a school Loyola is. This was probably my biggest regret about coming here. </p>

<p>2) Rogers Park is a hellhole. Its an eyesore, has some of the highest crime in the north side, and really doesn't offer much in the way of entertainment outside of a couple sketchy bars here and there. You need to be very cautious walking around this area alone, especially at night. Prepare to be asked for money every single time you go to class, and in more serious situations, followed home by a couple of thugs who are considering robbing you. My advice would be to use 8-ride if you're a girl or a small guy, and get some mace. I'm serious. </p>

<p>3) Tuition is insanely high. Loyola does give aid to most, but its still a very, very expensive school. In hindsight, I don't think it was worth it financially.</p>

<p>4) The CORE cirriculum is excessive. FAR too excessive. I get it, you want to create "well-rounded" individuals, whatever the hell that means. But I kinda get an idea about what I like and don't like after taking one class in a subject area, not two or three. Having to take a bunch of silly core classes I realized I had zero interest in after taking them the first time around cost me a valuable opportunity to explore other areas I was more interested in. This is college after all, isn't it? A time to freely explore a variety of subjects that interest you personally. Had I not been forced to take another theology class, another philosophy class, another history class, another sociology class, etc I would've instead been able to take more math or computer science classes, which I realized I liked toward the end of college, and maybe even been able to pick up a minor. </p>

<p>5) Administration hardly seems to care at all about students, and something as simple as registering for classes often turns into a bureaucratic nightmare. My academic adviser was about the single most jaded human being I've ever encountered. A few months ago when I walked in excited about graduating, there simply to confirm that I'd done EVERYTHING I needed to finish, the best he could muster up was a mumbled, unenthusiastic, "you should be alright." "Should" be? Give me some confirmation here mother<strong><em>er! The last thing I need is a surprise letter from Loyola in February telling me I need to take another ethics class to graduate because you didn't care enough to look over my file carefully. That really, really *</em></strong>ed me off. </p>

<p>I've seen a lot of students get screwed in this regard in the past. Loyola has a lot of nit-picky requirements for graduation, and its very easy to miss something by accident. The civic engagement requirement, for example, basically came out of left field, and the school only offers a handful of classes that satisfy it, so of course every semester you have a bunch of desperate, panicking seniors that can't get into one of these classes. By the end I just got really sick of this crap, and felt like the school didn't give a damn about the students at all, it just wanted to keep them locked in so it could suck up more of their money. </p>

<p>6) On a positive note, professors at Loyola are, for the most part, very good. They really go out of their way to help you most of the time, with the exception of a few part-time idiots brought in at the business school of course, which leads me to my next point.</p>

<p>7) Business school was boring and uninspired. In all fairness I really have no basis for comparison here, but I definitely hated my experience in the business school. Majoring in a business area was probably one of my biggest regrets about college, as most of the time I didn't learn a damn thing, plain and simple. It felt like the school knew full well that most of what it was teaching was inflated pseudo-science that impressionable fools like myself would line up for, but didn't care because it was such a major cash cow.</p>

<p>And I especially loved the temptation it gave you to double-major, like it would really make a difference in your career opportunities. All it cared about was locking you in for another $15,000 semester. </p>

<p>8) There are a lot of really, really stupid people here. I had a guy in my group this semester that could barely form a coherent thought on paper, much less write ten pages. Of course, I was forced to carry his dead weight and he ended up getting an A with me, but that's beside the point. There are several students that don't deserve to be here, plain and simple. They either aren't up to par intellectually, or they just don't care enough to try. The problem is one of Loyola's big pulls seems to be "diversity", which screws a lot of more deserving students out of getting a college education so the school can boast what a diverse student body it has.</p>

<p>So that, in a nutshell, is a summary of my experience at Loyola. Most kids come out of college loving their experience and feeling a deep sense of gratitude to their Alma Matter. Clearly I'm an exception to the rule, as I, for the most part, hated my experience at Loyola. However, in some ways, this was probably a good thing for me, as it made assimilating into the real world less daunting of a prospect because I felt like nothing could suck more than more time in college. I'm grateful I got an education, but if I could do it all again, I would've definitely gone somewhere else. Sorry, I'm being honest here. I'm not going to pretend I had the heart-warming, feel-good college experience most have out of some false sense of obligation to a school I put myself up to my ears in debt at. Its the damn truth!</p>

<p>I have been considering LUC, and that all really worries me. My sister visited the campus a couple years ago and she didn't feel like it was the right feel, due to the lack of community and people on campus. Is it hard to make friends and find people to live with after freshman or sophomore year? My high school experience has not been good, and I really can't wait to go have a blast and learn about something I am interested in in college, but your statements worry me about the whole "college experience part" do most people feel this way?</p>

<p>p.s. why didn't you transfer out if it was so bad?</p>

<p>The reason I didn't transfer out was I kept expecting it to get better, but four years later, nothing really changed. I also felt like it would be shameful to change schools, like I would essentially be pussing out and my family might look down on me. That's why I stuck it out. </p>

<p>If you're looking for a fun, rewarding college experience, go somewhere else. I wouldn't go to school in Chicago, or any big city for that matter, period. Go to Urbana-Champaign or a school like that that's really the center focus of the town. </p>

<p>Seriously, don't commit to going to Loyola before you see it for yourself. The place really, really sucks, and my goal here is to make sure people don't make the same mistake I did. Its very difficult to make friends after freshman year, and half the time the friends you made freshman year are living in some obscure apartment building 20 minutes away from campus, so you never really see them anymore. The place just sucks ass altogether, I wouldn't want anyone I liked to go there.</p>

<p>thanks for the heads up haoleboy. you complete unsatisfaction is enough for me.</p>

<p>good MBP. these are some of the most opportune years of your life, don't waste them at a school that's no fun, in a dangerous neighborhood, and insanely overpriced because it almost went bankrupt a few years ago.</p>

<p>Thank you for posting this. I really applied to Loyola without ever having visited, but since they offered me scholarship money they've become a more viable option. However, I probably should have seen the warning signs - if they offered a mediocre student like me 40k and they accept 70% of students, then what you said about stupid people makes a lot of sense. Not to be a snob, but I think it's a legitimate concern that I want to be surrounded by other smart, inspiring people so I can actually feel like I'm getting a "higher education."</p>

<p>jotc, that's a very valid concern to have. after all, your grade will often depend on the quality of your peers, particularly for group projects. i can't tell you how many times I've busted my ass on something only to get a B because no one else cared or knew how to contribute anything intelligent. this is how so many undeserving people are cruising through college--off of other peoples' work. it sounds like its only going to get worse....granted there are idiots at every college im sure, the fact that, like you said, admission standards are continuing to get lower and lower (partially b/c of this "diversity" crap, but mostly because the college needs more money b/c its on shaky financial ground), means you're going to have several boneheads in every class you take, ready and willing to mooch off of your hard work. </p>

<p>i know that feeling you talk about in wanting to feel like you're getting a higher education. i can tell you that by the end things didn't feel like that. there was always this feeling that no one really gave a damn, all they cared about was APPEARING to give a damn. </p>

<p>but i think it also depends what program you go into, jotc. obviously if you go into math or physics, i wouldn't worry as much about the problems I stated in the first part of this post. but if you go into the business school (big mistake because its crap), you're going to have to deal with this bullsh it every day.</p>

<p>Thank you for sharing your experiences & impressions of Loyola-Chicago. Is the law school located on the same campus?
Although your comments are informative & well intentioned, I think that it is a bit unfair to denigrate all urban schools since there are many with great locations & strong school spirit.</p>

<p>You're right coldwind, i shouldn't lump all urban schools together as having this same problem. i mainly made that comment because i felt like maybe i was being overly critical of Loyola for something it couldn't really help. but your comment about other urban schools yielding a true college experience further strengthens my argument about Loyola sucking ass. so that's good. </p>

<p>the law school is located at the downtown campus, in the same building as a lot of the business classes. personally, i hated that building, it kind of felt like i was going to school at the university of pheonix or something, with the office-building feel it had. to be fair though, i think the law school is pretty good.</p>

<p>what about the lakeshore campus?</p>

<p>the lakeshore campus is in Rogers Park, which as I've said, is a lousy, cesspool of a neighborhood. in addition, while the lakeshore campus looks more like a university than the downtown campus, there's just as little going on. its boring as hell. the view of the lake is nice, but consider how cold that mother***er gets in January before you let it sell you. </p>

<p>kids at the lakeshore campus barely ever have anything to do, and often times end up going to parties at other schools like UIC. there's Hamiltons, the Loyola bar basically, but most people stop going there after the first year or so because its such a haven for underage drinkers, who tend to get pretty annoying for older students. i dont know, both campuses suck altogether. that sums it up well enough.</p>

<p>Low-rent area, bureaucratic nightmares with administration, high tuition, inspiring professors, love/hate for your major and peers?</p>

<p>And you complain Loyola lacks the "true" college experience?
That is the true college experience - it's 4 years of tests and trials that teach you to learn, live and thrive. It's the opportunities that YOU take that make the 4 years worthwhile and great. Loyola and the city of Chicago offers many opportunities for those that want to take advantage of them. They don't land in your lap. Whether you're at Loyola (the OP is right, there's little campus life) or state U.</p>

<p>And parties at UIC? See, that was your problem. Fell into the wrong cliques. You were a OOS student from Hawaii and hung out with in-state locals. The parties with DePaul and Northwestern were better.</p>

<p>Look, I'm all for college teaching you some "life lessons," and I will say I came away with many from my experience, but that doesn't mean you should actively seek out a school with the kinds of issues Loyola has because of it. </p>

<p>You yourself admitted that there is little campus life at Loyola. Isn't this an invaluable piece of the college experience? A sense of community? Of pride? You think people should just overlook this gaping hole in the university because of the notion that it might put hair on their chest? I don't think a student should be forced to go to another university to have fun (i.e. the better parties at DePaul and NW) in the first place. Why not just attend college at DePaul instead?? </p>

<p>And what "opportunities" do you speak of? Yes, Chicago is a great city, but this is college, a time unlike any other in your life will be. I frequently went into the city, whether to bars, shows, pizza places, etc, and I always felt like something was missing. For me, the problem was when you go out into the city like this, you're essentially doing all the same things as people who are already out of college, and often times have been for five, even ten years. Where's the distinguished, finite experience in all this? What you're doing for fun your sophomore year of college is really not all that different from what you'll be doing at 25. I think that's a waste of four of the potentially most special and unique years of your life. </p>

<p>Frankly, when I visited my friends at other schools, I was blown away. Students sat outside on porches, drank beer together, were friendly to students they didn't even know walking by and often even invited them to come up for a few beers, gave a damn about the school's teams winning, and partied all night either way. Now, before you attack me as being some dumb meathead who just wanted to party all four years of school, understand that I'm simply illustrating the fact that a sense of community like what I saw at other universities was very refreshing compared to what I was use to at Loyola, where no one was ever really around, and when they were they were never friendly like this or excited about anything the university had going on. </p>

<p>To the young, impressionable high school students out there, keep in mind that I base my opinions not just on my own, but on those of my peers as well. For example, at the end of this semester I talked to a senior I'd just met about graduating and whatnot, and out of the blue he came out and told me he regretted coming to Loyola and wish he would've gone somewhere else. Not long after that a friend of mine, also a senior, told me he regretted not going to U of I because, after all this time, Loyola was STILL such a boring school. What, are we all just making it up here? Hell, if that's not enough, just look at Loyola's retention rates--they suck. Meanwhile, at other universities I have friends that are deeply saddened by the prospect of graduating because they feel such a strong connection to their university. Quite a stark contrast, ain't it?</p>

<p>I'm not trying to force people into not coming here, but at the same time I want them to have an honest idea of what I thought of the place. Sugarcoating it could result in a student dedicating himself to Loyola only to find four years later he wished he would have went somewhere else, which is essentially what I did. Why should I let someone make this mistake when there are so many better, cheaper universities out there?</p>

<p>stop being so go.dd.amn pessimistic haoleboy. I know someone who is going to this school and they really enjoy it. It's all about who you surround yourself with, which are usually people like yourself---AKA you surrounded yourself with people that were all pessimistic (like yourself), thus it's completely understandable that your experience was dreadful. </p>

<p>But to put a negative opinion out there and trying to tint others' opinions about a certain school isn't right. The best thing to do would to just write a nice little note about your experience but also to let everyone come up with their own opinions.</p>

<p>Thanks haoleboy for your review.</p>

<p>I fail to see the appeal of these half commuter/half city schools. I can't imagine that DePaul (campus = sidewalks, says a grad I know) would be much better. I know of an adjunct who teaches at 4 Chicago schools - same class, different tuitions.</p>

<p>I also know a happy Loyola kid (not business major), but that kid had to move out of the honors dorm because of the obnoxious drinkers there.</p>

<p>"stop being so go.dd.amn pessimistic haoleboy. I know someone who is going to this school and they really enjoy it. It's all about who you surround yourself with, which are usually people like yourself---AKA you surrounded yourself with people that were all pessimistic (like yourself), thus it's completely understandable that your experience was dreadful.</p>

<p>But to put a negative opinion out there and trying to tint others' opinions about a certain school isn't right. The best thing to do would to just write a nice little note about your experience but also to let everyone come up with their own opinions."</p>

<hr>

<p>:rolleyes:</p>

<p>What exactly are you saying? That I'm only entitled to an opinion if its a "positive" one? That I should write a "nice little note" even if I know its bull? You little pansy, I'm being honest here. Nothing more, nothing less. I have nothing to gain by whether or not these students choose to go to Loyola. I simply wish to paint them an honest picture of MY experience, the one you don't see in the catalogs and websites. You're defending the place, yet you don't even go there? You're marching in here with a cross on your back, calling me out based on what you heard from "someone you know?" Give me a break, pal. I spent 4.5 years there, I'm more than entitled to my opinion, and I'm gonna share it. Blow it out your ass if you don't like it. </p>

<p>I'll admit that some of my points may be harsh, and I mentioned in my first post that in some instances I don't have a basis for comparison against Loyola. However, two major things most of us can agree on are, 1) campus life is non-existent at Loyola, even for the model citizens that don't hold my "pessimistic" attitude, and 2) Rogers Park is a lousy place to go to school, given its high crime rate, dismal appearance, and lack of entertainment outside of a few good ethnic restaurants. </p>

<p>Who a person surrounds himself with doesn't change these two fundamental problems with the university. You're just trying to discredit me in the eyes of my peers by making me come off like a bitter loser. And again, why exactly, I'm not sure. Like I said, I'm not out to bury the university here--I simply want to let people know how I REALLY felt about it. If my lack of political correctness offends you, tough balls--I won't paint a "nice" (i.e. deceptive) picture of the school that might doop a wet-behind-the-ears high school kid into coming here because of your self-righteous drivel.</p>

<p>haole,
I've attended Loyola and State U, and I can tell you that campus life at State U isn't much better. At State U, there's too much to do, too much of everything. Two very different experiences, different campuses, different resources, different kids. Yet each require you to seek out the appropriate friends and activities to have fun. You can't sit back and expect it to fall in your lap. College movies may be scripted, but life is not.</p>

<p>The problem isn't Loyola, or its location. (And I'd much rather explore Chicago or go on a retreat than many of the activities at State U. Sorry, lectures by socialist professors aren't my thing.)
BTW, the parties I was talking about were the ones in which Northwestern and DePaul kids came to Loyola places in Rogers Park and Edgewater.</p>

<p>"BTW, the parties I was talking about were the ones in which Northwestern and DePaul kids came to Loyola places in Rogers Park and Edgewater."</p>

<p>**1) This was poorly phrased in your original post.</p>

<p>2) How is this any better? You're refuting my point by telling me that a good party at Loyola requires the assistance of students who don't even go there? How necessary do you think this is at comparable schools students applying to Loyola will get into?** </p>

<p>"I've attended Loyola and State U, and I can tell you that campus life at State U isn't much better. At State U, there's too much to do, too much of everything. Two very different experiences, different campuses, different resources, different kids. Yet each require you to seek out the appropriate friends and activities to have fun. You can't sit back and expect it to fall in your lap. College movies may be scripted, but life is not."</p>

<p>**First of all, reading the last two lines of this paragraph made me both laugh and cringe. You sound like a fortune cookie.</p>

<p>I like the way you and the other guy continue to attack both my ability to take initiative as well as my circle of friends. What the hell do YOU know about it? I can hardly believe you're trying to argue with me about these two fundamental holes in the university--they're just so GLARING. There's too much going on at state universities? So the best way to remedy that problem is to go to a school with virtually nothing going on? Am I getting this right?</p>

<p>Again, I don't know what "friends" and "activities" you're talking about given that you speak in such vague terms. I had "friends" that I went to parties around campus with, as well as explored the city with (as I made abundantly clear in my other post). What, did we not have enough fun people from DePaul and NW to spice up our lame Loyola parties? Did we go to the wrong bar, pizza joint, show, or game in the city? What are you saying?</p>

<p>As I've already said, exploring Chicago is something you can easily do when you start your career. In college though, it'd be nice to be able to regularly do things ON CAMPUS, you know, with other kids from your school. And I don't think its counts to go to parties at random apartment buildings 20 minutes away from campus where people with families also live. I don't consider this to be campus life.** </p>

<p>"The problem isn't Loyola, or its location. (And I'd much rather explore Chicago or go on a retreat than many of the activities at State U. Sorry, lectures by socialist professors aren't my thing.)"</p>

<p>**Look, the bottom line is when you have a school with as many commuters as Loyola has, and a huge city surrounding it, the result is going to be dismal campus life every single time. </p>

<p>I don't know what "activities" you're talking about at state universities. I'm not complaining about Loyola not having a bread baking club like Michigan State, or enough lectures on comets like MIT, or anything of that nature. I'm simply saying it would've been nice to see more than half a dozen people walking around campus on the weekends. And it would've been nice to be able to walk around the surrounding area without having to look over your shoulder all the time. Aren't these valid complaints?**</p>

<p>Why would anyone willingly accept these glaring holes in the university when they'll most likely be accepted to a school that's just as good academically, but doesn't have these same problems?</p>

<p>I think everybody has made their point by this point, and prospective students have made up their opinion as to whose advice is worth listening to (and I think most people will take some of both). At this point, though, you guys are talking past each other.</p>

<p>Loyola is largely a commuter school. Thus, if you want a lot of the campus/college experience, you should look elsewhere.</p>

<p>However, life will always be what you make of it. If you want to explore Chicago throughout college, Loyola is fine. Furthermore, going to Big State U doesn't mean you'll automatically find your niche. In fact, with more people, you might have to work harder.</p>

<p>What you guys are saying isn't mutually exclusive. quite your bitc*ing at each other and leave it alone. We get what you guys are saying.</p>

<p>Update: ^^ Ok</p>

<p>I realize this thread is starting to get ugly, so I'm probably going to walk away now. As I've already said, my intention was never to bury the school, but at the same time, I wanted to make my real opinion known. It seems to have offended a couple of people, but you know what, that's the nature of the game. </p>

<p>People considering Loyola, </p>

<p>If you want to go here, great, by all means, go--its ultimately YOUR decision. I would only encourage you to visit the campus and spend the night there first before you make your final decision. Make sure you visit a couple other schools as well so you can make a fair comparison. Its important. </p>

<p>All the best,</p>

<p>haole</p>