Honors College Theory

<p>My daughter received an invitation to the Honors College. She does not have top stats - but she has a really strong application when looked at holistically - including, leadership, service, etc. She won’t be accepting her offer from Purdue, but it is really nice that they look at more than just the numbers.</p>

<p>I just go into WashU (I live Utah, btw for geo referencing). WashU Engineering, but not honors college at Purdue…</p>

<p>I did the chat for invited engineering students to the Honors College tonight. Here is what I found out: There are two completely separate committees - one for Honors College, one Merit scholarships - that grant the invitations/awards. They didn’t specify, but they reported that they each had different criterias for awarding merit/inviting honors. They expect to have 500 or so first year Honors students of which 46% will be engineers. Also, in Honors Engineering, only about 25% earn the distinction with graduating with honors in engineering over 4 years (fulfilling a more rigorous curriculum with honors courses, thesis paper, AND maintaining a GPA>3.5). The major advantage is priority scheduling, being in smaller honors classes, living in Shreve Hall, and better opportunities for research involvement. I did not get an impression that the Honor students got better co-ops or internships. If you don’t maintain a 3.5, you’re no longer in the Honors College. Frankly, if you were awarded a merit scholarship but not invited to Honors College, don’t sweat it. In my humble opinion, I’d would rather prefer being awarded the scholarship than be invited to Honors college.</p>

<p>Ditto on RedYellowBue’s comments. Our son got an Honors invite but no scholarhip. Our first reaction was that ifif he does end up attending Purdue, participating in Honors College is a no brainer. We also viewed the chat (didn’t know anybody still did chats, sorta 90’s retro, confusing to follow at times) and came away with a view of maybe, maybe not. Unless we’re missing something big, still searching for a compelling argument.</p>

<p>As RedYellowBlue mentioned, priority scheduling was the key benefit, but it was also noted that students get the classes they need anyway, just that with Honors “it’s more convenient.” Also priority housing, but you are required to live in one dorrm and required to live with another Honor’s student so one could question whether that fits the definition of “priority.” Also, points were made of smaller classes (in post freshman years), more one on one with professors and better research opportunities without much in the way of specifics of what all that means.</p>

<p>The question of how prospective employers, internships and graduate schools view the honors designation was asked several times and was ignored. The fact that only one out of four who start the program actually carry it through to graduation is somewhat telling.</p>

<p>Again, our son was leaning heavily towards doing it if he chose Purdue. However, if anyone wants to arrange a swap of an Honors invitation for a $10k/ year scholarship, we’re game!</p>

<p>I’ll get in line behind collegedad for the Honors/Scholarship swap!</p>

<p>@ collegedadx4 and incadinca LOL!</p>

<p>Hey all, I’m a current member of the Honors College at Purdue. Last year, the inaugural year, the top scholarships seemed to match up with honors pretty well if I remember correctly. I received the highest value for a Presidential Scholarship as well as an invitation to the Honors Invitation. However, I had actually received the honors invitation right around the time that I had officially committed to Purdue. Perhaps they have changed the way they are recruiting; I’m not entirely certain. This year has been rough due to all the events in the second semester, but I recommend the honors college if possible.
On priority scheduling: It is a blessing if you’re looking to take more advanced classes. It was because of my priority scheduling that I could get into classes this semester; without it, it would have been much harder. It can be a huge advantage if you’re looking to take more advanced classes sooner.</p>

<p>If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me and I will do my best to answer. Hope to see you guys at Purdue next year! Boiler up!</p>