Honors Housing Deposit for NMFs

<p>Just paid the non-refundable freshman enrollment fee. Went to the housing site and saw that another deposit is required for housing – $25 app fee plus $200 housing deposit.</p>

<p>Is the $200 housing deposit refunded to NMFs, since they are covered by a room scholarship?</p>

<p>I confess that I am feeling a bit of sticker shock at the moment, LOL. (Yes, I am a cheapskate.)</p>

<p>Yes, the housing deposit is credited to your child’s acct in the fall. You won’t likely get a “refund” because the money will just go towards your child’s meal plan.</p>

<p>*I confess that I am feeling a bit of sticker shock at the moment, LOL. (Yes, I am a cheapskate.) *</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Well, you can keep telling yourself that this is still about the cheapest way to get a college education. :)</p>

<p>LadyD: yup you have to put out the deposits. But it’s really nice in August when you go to pay the fees/meal plan and realize you’ve already paid about 1/4 of it :)</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all!</p>

<p>Related question: Are Dining Dollars in addition to the Silver Meal Plan that scholarship recipients must sign up for in freshman year?</p>

<p>Yes, Dining Dollars are in addition to the Silver Meal Plan. BTW, you are not bound to sign up for the Silver plan. That’s the minimum. If your son feels he needs more, then you would purchase a meal plan with more. My son is not a breakfast eater, but when he does, it’s usually in his suite.</p>

<p>Thanks! So, then, here’s what the NMF scholarship does NOT cover:</p>

<p>Meal Plan
Dining Dollars
Course Fees
Parking Decal (N/A in our case because DS does not have a car)</p>

<p>Can y’all think of anything else? Just trying to get a grip on this, for my very cost-conscious husband. Thanks!!</p>

<p>Also–WRT course fees: What is considered a full-time course load? Twelve credit hours per semester? (That seems to be the usual minimum, right?)</p>

<p>Thanks! Sorry for dumb clueless questions. Just chalk it up to home-schooler naivete’ and ignorance!</p>

<p>LadyD,</p>

<p>The books are not covered either. The National Merit Stipend will cover some of the cost of the meal plan and books. </p>

<p>Meal Plan - Bama Silver (cheapest) - $2544 per year </p>

<p>Other parents will have to chime in as to how much to expect for books.</p>

<p>A full-time course load 12+ credits per semester. A normal course load is 15 credits and would allow a student to earn 120 credits in four years (the minimum number of credits for any bachelor’s degree, though many require more. Your son’s scholarship will cover up to 20 credits, though anything over 18 is considered an overload and requires administrative approval. Most courses are 3 credits, while some lab and some language courses are 4 credits.</p>

<p>Oh, that’s right–forgot about books. I figured he’d use the stipend for those. (Probably will buy online, if possible, to save $$$.) Thanks, loring!</p>

<p>Thanks to you, too, SEA-tide! 15 credits sounds perfect. Thanks!!</p>

<p>Speaking of that NM stipend, your son will not receive it in time to cover his books in the fall. It usually arrives in a student’s account in late September/early October. So make sure you budget accordingly.</p>

<p>LadyD: Some books will not be available online or hard to find. They are either old editions that the professor prefers or out of print. (you can get these from students or used book stores). Other books are unique to UA and must be purchased at the Supe store. Some classes require codes and electronic keypads also available at the Supe store (UA Bookstore).</p>

<p>Thanks much for the info. y’all!</p>

<p>DS has been taking a few classes at the local CC, and we have been amazed by the huge spike in book prices since our own college days (back before the Flood). I understand some science texts can cost upwards of $300! I-yi-yi!</p>

<p>I forgot to mention that there is always the option of renting books as well. You can rent from the Supe store directly or at a vendor such as Chegg.com.</p>

<p>That’s great to know! Western Carolina (the only other school besides Bama that has offered DS merit aid so far) also has a rental program – just $107 per year. I think rentals are terrific ideas, especially for books you don’t particularly care to keep. :)</p>

<p>Yes…the stipend money gets put in the acct, so it really goes towards fees or meal plan. </p>

<p>to get the best prices on books, it’s best to start looking for them ahead of time…thru one of the many discount online stores.</p>

<p>Ahhhhsooooo! Thanks. :)</p>

<p>I was just looking at course listings for Honors History 105 and 106 (Western Civ). DS has no AP credits (because he’s home-schooled), so he can’t place out of these classes. But DH said, “Why would he want to? He can always learn more” – especially in an area as huge and broad as Western Civ. So, I guess we’ll be looking for the appropriate texts for History 105.</p>

<p>The Bama history department appears to be AMAZING – tons of course offerings covering every conceivable period and culture. Almost makes me wish I were going back to school. (But nahhhh… ;))</p>

<p>My DD is currently enrolled in the class Holocaust In film and Lit…GN 260 (it is listed under German even though it is a History course). It is not an honors class but I thought I would let you know about it since she said that it is very interesting and the professor who teaches it is great! We visited Dachau while staying in Munich for the kids Spring Break 2 years ago and she found the history of the Holocaust so interesting. We were very excited that UA had a class that touched this subject. We heartily reccommend it!</p>

<p>Bama’s history department is amaaaazing! As a fish I took the US Naval history course - best. course. EVER!!! I had so much fun, even the writing was fun!! The prof was fantastic and interesting, as well as lenient about deadlines (always a plus in my book). I won’t get to take more history courses till senior year, but I can’t wait! There are so many interesting ones to take!</p>

<p>Not to hijack, but LadyDi, since you mentioned your son is homeschooled and not taking AP tests, you might want to look into CLEP. When I went to college, before the Flood, there were no AP courses, but I was able to enter college with 18 credits through CLEP. Check the registrar’s site for what you earn through CLEP and see if you might want to give them a try. You usually have to take the test at a local university or community college, rather than a high school, like the AP tests. Good luck!</p>

<p>LadyDi…</p>

<p>I would seriously look into having your son take AP English Comp at a local high school. Getting a 4 on that exam gets a student out of BOTH Frosh Comp classes (which, like all Frosh Comp classes, are a pain in the tush). </p>

<p>My younger son didn’t take the AP English Comp class (didn’t like the teacher who taught it), but he took the test…and got out of both Frosh Comp classes…it’s really not a hard test at all and you don’t need to take the class. I’m sure your son could get a 5 on this test. But, again, only a 4 is needed to get out of both classes… A 3 gets you out of one class.</p>

<p>It really is worth the money for the test… Certainly much cheaper than buying textbooks and paying course fees for those 2 classes.</p>

<p>Mesquite Girl…which prof taught that naval history class?</p>