Honors Housing Options - Freshman Year

<p>i think i can answer that one. the answer is NO! based on the fact that my daughter and others who are now considered sophomores (due to coming in with a bunch of credits) were waitlisted just a couple weeks ago.</p>

<p>MikeWozowski,</p>

<p>Thanks, my son has been offered a NMF scholarship that pays for university housing for four years and I wonder what happens to that if he cannot get university housing all four years.</p>

<p>^^^UA will see to it that he and all NMFs have housing because that is a component of the scholarship.</p>

<p>Thanks malanai.</p>

<p>De nada. Welcome to Bama. :)</p>

<p>MikeW-
wasn’t that resolved and was an issue with the system being confused with the non-honors part of the dorm? I hope I read that right :)</p>

<p>UAHousing-My son would like to be in the Honor’s dorm but we just applied for housing last week, does he still have a chance? Also, how are room assignments made for students who have no roommate requests? Do you match them according to major and /or extracurriculars? Thanks!</p>

<p>SignalMtn, your son will choose his specific room assignment during the housing selection process. Last year, NMF’s were reserved housing in the honors section of Riverside to make sure they had a space in an honors dorm. Still, those NMF’s were free to choose a different room if they so desired. The only time spaces are assigned is when the student is participating in one of the smaller Living-Learning Communities, have housing assigned by their coach, are coming back from a fall semester study abroad, or failed to select a space before fall/spring housing selection ends during the summer time.</p>

<p>A student is free to switch their room selection as many times as they want during the housing selection process. Some students have changed their room selection 13+ times over the course of the housing selection process.</p>

<p>yes, the issue was resolved for us, but i was told that the reason that she was waitlisted was that she is listed as a sophomore now. so current freshman were not waitlisted, but “sophomores” were.</p>

<p>i dont think it had anything to do with the honors/non-honors parts of the dorm.</p>

<p>My son will be enrolling at the Capstone for Fall 2011. He is currently a high school senior and will be bringing in 91 semester hours of college credit. (He plans to double or triple major and doesn’t plan to graduate for four years.) I have never even given it any thought that he wouldn’t be considered a freshman (for dorm purposes) and that he might not get housing on campus. Should I start getting worried?</p>

<p>maybe so MikeW - but DS is in the same boat, listed as a sophomore, and he had no problem with it. Crossing my fingers that it was a snafu and won’t be the situation next year!</p>

<p>well, idk what happened then. maybe it was a combination of the soph status and living in a mixed dorm.</p>

<p>in any case, unless you are NMF i am not sure you can count on on camous housing for all 4 years.</p>

<p>NMFs will get housing as long as they recontract (indicate that they want housing) at the appropriate time.</p>

<p>Bama can’t guarantee that ALL honors students get housing since frosh must live on campus. There are about 7500 or so beds…so with frosh in housing and NMFs in housing…then that doesn’t leave enough beds for all the rest of honors to have housing as well.</p>

<p>But, again, returning NMFs have to re-contract and do the steps to get housing for the following years.</p>

<p>Crimson217, congratulations on your son coming in with that much credit. He will be considered an incoming freshman for housing this year and as a senior for future years. As it stands seniors are just behind incoming freshmen and current freshmen (rising sophomores) during the recontracting process.</p>

<p>If he hasn’t already, I highly suggest that your son look into the University Scholars program so he can earn a master’s degree at the same time as his bachelor’s. A little known fact is that the master’s degree need not be in the same or even a related field as the bachelor’s degree.</p>

<p>SEA_Tide, Thanks for the information and thanks for the congratulations. (You have eased my fears about him getting housing on campus for the Fall semester.) </p>

<p>My son has been fortunate to attend a high school on a college campus. He has been working on his high school diploma while working on his AA degree at the same time. I’ve had my son read your post and he’s going to investigate the University Scholars program. It sounds like it would be a perfect fit for him.</p>

<p>*will be bringing in 91 semester hours of college credit. (He plans to double or triple major and doesn’t plan to graduate for four years.) *</p>

<p>What will your son’s major(s) be?</p>

<p>Are some of those 91 credits upper division?</p>

<p>i didnt think UA would let you bring more than about 75 hours?</p>

<p>Dual enrollment and transfer courses are exempt from the 45-credit limit that applies to AP and other credit by examination. The only limit imposed on dual enrollment and other transfer credit is the residency requirement for a degree. Per the UA catalogue:

</p>

<p>Mom - My son plans to major in finance, maybe obtain a MBA (University Scholars might work nicely here) and then attend law school. Of course, he’s only 17 and that may change tomorrow.</p>

<p>His hours are all lower division classes. He took two AP classes in the 9th grade at our local HS and earned 6 hours credit that I hadn’t even thought about. He then transferred to the college’s charter high school. All of his HS classes the last three years have been college classes for credit. He went two summers also…just for fun. Our purpose in allowing him to attend (it was his idea) was not to get all these credit hours, it was for the rigor of the classes. We have no intentions of making him graduate in two years…I want him to enjoy being a college student and have some fun. He’ll have to work soon enough.</p>

<p>Mom - I went back and noticed I didn’t answer your question entirely. As iIsaid, he will proabably major in finance. As for his 2nd and 3rd major, he is thinking about chemistry, maybe political science…his options are wide open.</p>