Honors societies, associations, etc

<p>Well, when DS made the Dean’s List for first semester, various honors societies came out of the woodwork and peppered him with invitations, some of which came to our home address.</p>

<p>All of them have dues and all. None of them sounded familiar to me. I am wondering – which ones are legit, and which ones are scams?</p>

<p>When I asked my son whether he’d want to join one of these societies, he said yes, provided it was one that could give him some good networking opportunities. (Out of the mouths of babes! I never figured him for the networking type, but I guess college has matured him, or something.)</p>

<p>I said I’d try to find out which ones are good for that sort of thing, lol.</p>

<p>The most persistent recruiter has been (IIRC) National Society of Collegiate Scholars. They send the fanciest mail, too. Anyone know anything about them?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!!</p>

<p>LD</p>

<p>Diane…there is another thread about this. We ignored all but PBK, phi kappa phi, mortarboard, and the top ones associated with their majors.</p>

<p>You can also check UA website and plug in the societies names and see if they have a presence on campus. Also check their national sites as well, then you can check facebook page and see how active their members are.</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all!! Can anyone direct me to the other thread?</p>