Hotels Question

<p>apart from Holiday Inn-University of Miami because it's full..</p>

<p>You have lots of choices...do you want pure convenience for check-in, or maybe a bit of relaxing as well? Beach?</p>

<p>Just down the road on RT 1 South you've got the Dadeland Mariott and the newer (and cheaper) Courtyard Mariott across the street from that. The only drawback, and you'll find this in alot of the area hotels, is that you must use valet parking. I've stayed in both of these. Nice, convenient, reasonable.</p>

<p>Next closest would be "business district" Coral Gables - I've stayed in the Holiday Inn there when the other was full - its Ok (and cheap). </p>

<p>In Coconut Grove there are a bunch of upscale hotels- we used the Wyndham - more fancy than we needed, as we weren't there much. We'll be trying The Mutiny in November - we're coming down for Thanksgiving and they have suites with full kitchens (recc'd I think on this board).</p>

<p>I've also stayed in Miami Beach but I'm guessing you want to be closer to UM.</p>

<p>Being a tourist spot, there's no shortage of hotel rooms! And the good thing about moving in during August is that (aside from the UM Holiday Inn), rooms are plentiful and prices lowest of the year.</p>

<p>thank you.</p>

<p>so what price range per night should i be looking at? what is reasonable?</p>

<p>I think around $135 a night for Coral Gables/Coconut Grove - you'll find cheaper rates near the airport ($100 or so).</p>

<p>I wouldn't wait too much longer to make your reservations, as everyone is arriving at the same time.</p>

<p>There is a list of hotels near the University on the UM website. They give discounts to UM students, so mention that when making the reservation. We are going to stay at the Biltmore, which is about 3 miles from the school.</p>

<p>In addition to the HI and Marriott Dadeland, we have also stayed in the Omni in Coral Gables and the Mutiny Hotel in Coconut Grove. You have lots of choices. Even Key Biscayne and South Beach really aren't that far. When we did dropoff last year, we stayed in SoBe. </p>

<p>ctmom-You will love The Mutiny! We also may be doing T"day in Miami.</p>

<p>Thanks My-3-Sons - I was pretty sure I'd seen The Mutiny recc'd here.</p>

<p>D has to be at the football game on Thanksgiving day, so we figured we'd change our routine this year from our usual very traditional New England Thanksgiving and see how they do it in Miami!!</p>

<p>has anyone tried Double Tree Coconut Grove?</p>

<p><a href="http://www.coconutgrove.doubletree.com/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.coconutgrove.doubletree.com/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>or Fortune House in downtown?</p>

<p>I've seen the Doubletree - haven't stayed there - it looks very nice and is reasonable. That would be more convenient than downtown - esp. if you'll be there during the week (commuter traffic is crazy).
Don't know the Fortune House at all.</p>

<p>We prefer the Biltmore or the Hyatt, whichever has the best rate at the time (have paid anywhere from $89 up at both). Ask about University of Miami rates (or any other you may qualify for - such as government). You'll be happy at either hotel.</p>

<p>We've stayed at the Courtyard in the past, but it's a lillte farther out of the way and there is still noisy construction going on.</p>

<p>We.ve booked into the hampton Inn in Coral Gables. About the same pricing, breakfast included, and reletively new.</p>