Housing Advice for 2023 Ags

@AggieMomhelp , Any idea when LLP and ECOS decisions will be made? I assume the students will be notified about their LLP or ECOS status before the general dorm selection windows are announced?

@learner234 all engineering classes are on the TAMU campus. You will take calculus and chemistry/physics at RELIIS. My son will be at Northpoint Crossing. It is a short walk to Zachary. It is also the last bus stop (route4) and drops off fist on campus right next to Zachary. About a 4 minute ride. We found it cheaper than many on campus options. There are several off campus options very close to the engineering complex if he don’t find anything on campus.

@CamandCam no, I don’t know. Housing office may be able to tell you but sometimes they aren’t forthcoming.

I called TAMU Housing and this information is pretty darn correct for incoming freshmen who have secured a spot on campus. They are paring up now with a roomie if they are choosing to take pot luck. Like you said, they will send an email in April and selections will take place in May. What was confusing to me is exactly how that process works. I know a current freshman in the dorm system right now that had to go physically select an empty room in the dorm they were assigned. REALLY???

@bward. Yes students who are going potluck are able to start looking for a roomie. Tamu doesn’t pair them up except maybe for LLCs.

When their time slot arrives in May, they will go find a room and a bed online to select. They go fast. If you haven’t selected a roomie, then you can, at that time, find a room that has someone in it and look at their profile to see if food fit for you.

I have a few questions about parking, my son is OOS, and is contemplating having his car on campus. Since he is in the university honors program he will live either in McFadden or Lechner Hall. First, from your experience, does he even have a shot at getting a parking spot as a freshman? Second, which garage or lot is closest to these halls? Finally, I saw somewhere on these threads that parking registration will open at the beginning of April, how can a freshman student register, will there be a link on his howdy account? Thank you in advance for your help with these questions.

@mic212 if you’re a resident on campus then you will get a spot. Pull up the campus maps by those dorms (north side) to see what lots are available for students. There’s a large one right there by hullabaloo but I believe that’s the closest student parking for residence.

There is a garage called north campus garage. It’s by blocker but is probably the closest garage besides maybe Cain.

Most students get a parking permit regardless of year. Lot 100 is the largest I believe. It’s west campus by reed arena. So no worries if he’s not guaranteed a spot close to the dorm. He can always park close to unload stuff then move it. Shuttles run all the time. It all works out. Pinky promise. And be sure to add yourself to waitlist if he doesn’t get the lot he wants. They do open up in the summer.

There will be a link on howdy. You can probably access it now. Just can’t register.

@mic212 Put in for an on campus parking permit during the week that it opens, which is usually the first week in April. When they update the site for 19-20, it will post on there when it is open for freshmen. My son was in an LLC freshman year and got a garage space.

Yikes. I haven’t applied yet; is it a good idea to stake my land ASAP?
The thing is, college decisions haven’t all came out yet and if I don’t know for 100% that I’m attending here, should I still take up a spot?
Are all the individual spots taken?
How are the honor dorms compared to the regular ones?

@Asiankid10 are you wanting to live on campus? If you haven’t put down Housing Deposit by now, you will be very late, and there may not be a lot of choices left. Most everyone I know paid Housing Deposit within minutes of receiving TAMU acceptance-like in September and October.
You need to go to TAMU Housing wedsite and see how Housing is done. Freshman aren’t required to live on campus, so many live in apartments.

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp and All, Need apartment recommendation for Fall near Zachry Engineering Complex and close to bus route 47 for Rellis campus.

@Thelma2 and @AggieMomhelp, thank you for your help answering my questions.

@ham01 the stacks, the rise, aspire, northpoint crossing and several more are by Zachary building. I believe the rellis bus goes from the MSC. I’ll check tomorrow. Honestly, once you’re on campus, it’s not a struggle getting around. You can’t really predict where you’ll be the most. Libraries, Zachary, msc, Sbisa etc. it’s really not a big deal where you live. Buses are everywhere and very convenient.

Use google maps to find apartments in Bryan/College Station. They will pop up all over the map. We found our house the boys rent using trulia. Every apartment fits the needs differently. Make a list of floorplans, pricing, and eminities. Then go visit and ask questions. Some will waive security deposits. Some don’t. Some charge more for covered parking, some don’t. What utilities are included. etc. Some have better space usage than others and you don’t see that until you visit. Buses are everywhere. You don’t have to live in anyone place. My kid lives in Bryan. Easy, peasy on a bus route and we have a parking pass at a lot across University.
Those closest to campus are higher rent. Also, different apartments on different floors that face certain directions/have a view, cost more.

Be warned: the lease you sign for fall, they will have to give notice Dec 1, if they are staying or leaving. If they don’t, they can lose their apartment for the following term. Dec 1, lets the complex/landlord know how many units will be available for all the applications that come in from people wanting to move, all the sophomores moving out of dorms, and new freshmen coming to campus. It is not uncommon for freshmen in the dorm to sign a lease for the following fall, just a few months after starting freshman year. That way, they can get a unit in the more competitive apartments. Floorplans do sell out and there can be wait lists. Don’t let kids sign contracts they don’t know what they say. This is a guiding moment.

@ham01 Bus 47 picks up at the MSC, Wisenbaker (next to Zachary) and Rellis. The travel time from Wisenbaker to Rellis is 20 minutes. From Rellis to MSC is about 25 minutes.

Can anyone offer some guidance? My son applied for university honors which made him apply for honors housing or the honors LLP. He just decided to go to A&M and has decided to decline the University Honors offer because he has a roommate that he would like to room with that he found on the housing portal. The housing office says it is too late and he is now locked into an LLP. They said that he can decline it in April and then his roommate can tell him where he selected a room and he can “try” to select the same room. Does anyone have any experience with the new online housing system/portal? He does not want to leave his chosen roommate hanging, but is not sure what to do. I don’t really understand why they even give them the option to match with a roommate if they are already supposedly locked into something else.

Hey, recently got accepted to a LLP in hullabaloo. Anyone know what kind of room layout they give to LLP students? Double, 4 person suite, etc.

@GrahamDog , Did you get an email about your acceptance? My daughter applied for Engineering Honors housing but hasn’t heard anything. Has anyone else? Now I’m wondering if she didn’t complete something or dropped the ball somewhere…

@GrahamDog lucky you! No idea what rooms are given for Hullabaloo LLC, but we wouldn’t care-dying to get in! Unfortunately no LLC for my daughters major.
Have to say, I do think it’s odd they put LLC in the most popular dorm on campus.
Non LLC ppl are anxiously awaiting their ‘pull time’.

@52AG82 There are LLC’s all over campus and the housing webpage designates what dorm they are in. For Hullabuloo its
Broad Street: https://reslife.tamu.edu/living/llps/available/broadstreet/
Cornerstone Honors: https://reslife.tamu.edu/living/llps/available/cornerstonehonors/