Housing Advice for the class of 2011

<p>I'm going to be a freshman next year at Virgnia Tech and I'm debating on whether or not to apply for the RLC themed housing. I heard the supplementary leadership class was a breeze and that the dorms are amazing. Is it worth it? Also, just in general I was wondering if freshman are automatically paired with freshman for roomate assignments.</p>

<p>Cheers, jsc2011</p>

<p>Yes. this would be great if someone could comment on themed housing. How about Mosaic?</p>

<p>Does anyone have any info on Hypatia? It's the female freshman/sophomore engineering dorm.</p>

<p>I have never heard of any of the programs you mentioned</p>

<p>but I know you are not automatically paired with a freshman, but most people are</p>

<p>How about rating the dorms? Any opinions?</p>

<p>I dont think freshman can request specific dorms, but I think that AJ and Pritchard are probably the worst(~1000 people each, 2-3 fire alarms a week), but other than that they are all fine</p>

<p>What are the chances of getting suites as freshmen?</p>

<p>is theme housing even worth applying?</p>

<p>VT students and parents--we need your help! Time is running out!! Thanks!!!</p>

<p>My daughter choose to join the WING program and was in Slusher Wing. She loved it. The rooms were bigger than where she is now. This year she was in West Eggleston and now Main Eggleston. She requested Eggleston, as it is down on the drillfield. </p>

<p>I think it is almost impossible for freshmen to get suites. You generally have to be a junior or senior. Even then, you get to pick you roommate, but not your suitemates.</p>

<p>Hi, wallingf. Do you know if it's difficult to get into the WING program if you apply at the last minute before May 1? My D. just sent in her essay online on Saturday. Approximately how many spaces do they have?</p>

<p>I am not sure how early you have to apply. My daughter applied early - but we were sending her 800 miles from home, so we wanted to be sure she got into the program. She says she thinks your daughter should have no problem. Her group had about 80 or so kids. Her particular floor was suppose to be 100% WING students and it wasn't, as they still had openings.</p>

<p>She liked the program, because it got her into a nice dorm (they are in the WING, not the tower) in a convenient location. The mandatory class is pretty simple and split into smaller groups, which gives you a chance to meet people.</p>

<p>Good Luck and feel free to ask any questions you might have.</p>

<p>Thanks! My D. will be 400 miles away and I feel the same way. 800 miles - no wonder you wanted to be sure she got in. Anything that can help like this at such a big school would be reasurring. Glad to hear the dorms are nice. We didn't get a tour but walked through a hallway fast. The cork covered walls are so nice, compared to typical dorm hallways we've seen. Do the dorms down on the drillfield like Eggleston also have these type of hallways and feel new inside? Missed getting to see those dorms, but they are so nice looking from the outside.</p>

<p>Also, is the usual time to sign up for non-theme housing after you receive a PID number? Or should we be signing up now? Our deposit was just sent last week, so we have none of that sign-up info. Thanks again.</p>

<p>I definitely know atleast 3 freshman in suites, its possible</p>

<p>I dont know anything about specific programs. </p>

<p>Check housing.vt.edu for more information on when to sign up, but I do believe you need your PID</p>

<p>I never saw cork covered walls, but they might have walked you through a newer dorm.</p>

<p>The dorms down on the drillfield are standard dorms and I think they are mostly all the same, although I haven't been through the others. My daughter's room is a little smaller than what she had last year. But, they wanted to be down on the drillfield. </p>

<p>I also know that the WING and the Eggleston dorms have loftable beds as part of their standard furniture, so you don't have to worry about buying a loft setup. Depending on where she ends up, you might want to ask if her dorm room will have a loftable bed. I think most kids want that, as it gives them more room. I got confused her first year, as it said she couldn't have a loftable bed - and then I found out it was because her dorm room had one already.</p>

<p>Tia3, you should call admissions and ask about signing up for your HokieSpa account - that's where you make your housing preferences and sign up for your orientation session in the summer. It's everything from your VT email address, to housing and dining, to courses. Supposedly it takes up to two weeks after you send your acceptance in for them to set up your account, but it doesn't really take that long.</p>

<p>Thanks. I was assuming the same thing about the loft beds, so glad to hear that. .</p>

<p>Hi ZimmerO7. Maybe they'll let me have a PID for her early. I was able to at least find out the specific dates for orientation options over the phone so we could make reservations while there is still room. Didn't want to wait 2 weeks for that. I'll see what they say. Thanks!</p>

<p>You just need to make sure they have her on record before starting the process. Your PID is the 9 digit number you have already. You'll use that to follow the instructions on the 2nd sheet of paper (it talks about HokieSpa) that came with the acceptance letter that was mailed to you. She will create her personal "name" that will follow her throughout her time at VT (so they recommend against cutesy stuff obviously) and will also be her VT.edu email address. It's kind of like signing up for an email addy, it gives "suggestions" based on her name. </p>

<p>Make sure you go into the housing section and start that process right away. If she wants theme housing, she will most likely have to write a very brief essay as part of that application. My s had 2 questions for total of 150 words max - very simple and short. (I think I remember you saying you had already sent housing essay in, so never mind!!)</p>

<p>About lofts - All rooms have "loftable" beds, some rooms come with lofts already. Renting a loft for a year is pretty cheap (105$) or buying it is ~200$. The extra space is well worth it. </p>

<p>You should get your PID # within two weeks ofsending in housing deposit. With that 9 digit #, you can then sign up for an account ID based on your name, which will b your VT email.</p>