Housing On or Off Campus

<p>I have the option to either live on campus or at home for the first year, which doesn't seem like a bad option considering the cost and the fact that I'll be able to have a car/parking permit. However, would this hinder my 'college experience' in that I'd lose an opportunity to meet new people, or is most of the social life and places where people meet outside of the dorms?</p>

<p>I have that same option being from Coral Gables. I just don’t want to spend the extra money on housing, but I do think it’s an easy way to meet people especially at the freshman dorms. Even if you do become a commuter student, there are certain clubs and activities that will let you meet people outside of class. ACS( association of commuter students) has been said to be a super exciting group for commuters. In classes I’m sure it’s tougher but it’s doable. You’ll make friends, don’t worry!</p>

<p>The best advice I can give you is to think about what you see as the best college experience. Do whatever you won’t regret not doing later in life.</p>

<p>I don’t know what I’m talking about, as I’m a mom. This will depend on your personality and the activities you pursue, but I’m sure that having a car and knowing your way around town will AID your social life in ways.</p>

<p>Everything has its pros and cons. It’s what you make of the situation.</p>

<p>Yeah, I’m thinking the social advantage of “Hey I live in the same dorms as you!” could be offset with “Yeah, I’m a freshman with a car, **** yeah”</p>

<p>ACS is super involved on campus and they’re a huge group. I know a lot of commuters make friends just by being really involved. Clubs, student government, and Greek Life are all great ways to meet people, especially if you don’t live on campus.</p>

<p>I would recommend living on campus freshman year just to meet people, and then living at home after, you still save a decent amount of money, I’m fairly certain freshman housing is the cheapest.</p>