Housing Situation

My son was accepted for engineering and we are in final stages of deciding between VT and Penn State. We really are hoping he will get housing in the engineering house for the living/learning community in whichever school he chooses. Does anybody know how fast the housing fills at VT? Will most people accept right away or do people wait closer to the May 1st date to accept? We have a couple visits planned between now and April 7th at both schools and are hoping to decide by the second week in April. Do you all think this will be too late for the living and learning community?

I imagine you have people signing housing contracts every day. I’m not sure the popularity of the live and learns vs the more casual freshman dorms. It impossible to predict when is to late to sign a housing contract and get your name in line.

I’m pretty sure acceptance to an LLC is based on an application process. (At least my son’s non-engineering LLC was.) So, not based on when you accept and sign a housing contract. Once you’re accepted into an LLC, your priority for selecting a room within the LLC is based on when you signed the housing contract. Someone with direct experience in the engineering LLC’s can correct me if I’m wrong.

When the student signs their housing contract has direct impact in the following ways:

1.) The later you sign, the less options will be available re: preferred residence hall and room selection (unless the student’s roommate choice has already signed their contract, in which case whoever signed first will pull in the roommate when they select hall/room).
2.) If accepted into an LLC, you will be assigned the applicable residence hall and all you will choose is your room. Your spot for room selection will be based on when you signed your housing contract.

LLC applications may already be open. Last year the Eng LLC filled up pretty quickly.

Does anyone know if the Orion LLC (formerly Da Vinci & Curie) application has an essay? If so, what is the prompt or where can I find the prompt? I looked and found nothing.

@ShenVal18 Thanks! I think my son is going to accept sooner than he thought so crossing our fingers!