Housing: University vs Private

<p>So I'm deciding whether to choose private or university housing.</p>

<p>For Private, I'd probably end up in Regent. Pros would definitely be that it comes pre-furnished and that there is a kitchen and etc like that. I'm just afraid that I'll miss out on the "whole" dorm experience by choosing Regent.</p>

<p>Also, I might get stuck in Extending Housing (located adjacent to Kronshage Hall). Is this a bad thing? Should I be concerned? Or is it worth it to go with University Housing regardless?</p>

<p>More info on me would be that I'm going into Math, Stats, and Comp Sci. I like hanging out with people (I'd pretty much always go with people anywhere instead of going by myself) but I definitely want to focus on studying and so a dorm a little quieter will probably be much better for me. I heard that Smith and Ogg is better for that? Also, Chadbourne sounds nice.</p>

<p>Thoughts?</p>

<p>Expanded housing is next to Kronshage? I’ve never heard of that. Your chances of that are pretty slim, and you generally wind up in a den of a dorm, which is actually pretty sweet - you get Wi-Fi, AC if you wouldn’t already have it, and a HUGE room that you share with four people…but it’s a den, meant for like 20 people to use. I always thought the people in expanded housing got a pretty sweet deal. It’s rare though so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.</p>

<p>I don’t know a lot about Regent, but it can be cheaper than a dorm and it would be fully furnished - and you’d have a kitchen and a bit more space. I think if the “dorm experience” is important to you, you might want to consider a public dorm, however. You can have a full “college experience” elsewhere, but probably not a full “dorm experience,” which has both positives and negatives, although I’d recommend it in general.</p>

<p>Smith and Ogg are nice, I don’t know if they’re quieter at all in all honesty. I lived in Chadbourne and it was very social in a non-partying sort of way, it’s known as the nerdy dorm generally. All the floors seem to be very close - though if you plan on partying at all it’s probably going to be a little tough for you. There are also a lot of asian international students that stick together and aren’t really looking to be part of American culture at all, so they may seem unfriendly to some extent. A LOT of people get these students as roommates. Just a heads-up for Chadbourne…it also feels a lot like a lame summer camp at times with all the activities…and it’s creepy how into it a lot of people are.</p>

<p>If your trying to party DO NOT LIVE IN LAKESHORE or REGENT. Everyone I know from lakeshore that likes to go out and be social on weekends has at least attempted to move to southeast. Honestly, go sellery/witte. Yes, the dorms aren’t that great but that social experience making your first friends in college is worth it. I lived in Ogg, and yes it was really easy to study, but I was in Sellery 24/7, and if I didn’t know a lot of kids from high school before hand (I pretty much made friends with their floors), I wouldn’t know anyone really. Ogg and Smith are super anti-social. Everyone in Sellery that lives there said they would make the same decision over again, so I’d advise you to go sellery. But if you don’t care much for partying or want a more quiet environment all of your options you mentioned in your post are fine.</p>

<p>They use the two Short Course dorms for expanded housing as those students who take various courses through the Ag school don’t start classes as soon- those buildings are owned by the Ag School, not Res Halls. All students in expanded housing will get moved to a regular dorm room as soon as Res Halls can do it, obviously the Short Course dorms will be emptied by they time they are needed sometime in the fall. Students housed in the expanded housing have all of the same amenities/priveleges as the rest of Res Halls dorm residents.</p>

<p>You can party no matter where you live- I know students who did from Kronshage. However, the Southeast dorms have a more party reputation, so choose one of those dorms if that’s your priority. Location versus major- it doesn’t matter as a freshman since you will have courses not in your major. Also- you may end up with a course held in a building far from the one the department is located in.</p>