dorm or private residence hall?

<p>I just got these two packet about housing contract in my mail box recently, and I have to make a decision on whether to live on campus or the private residence hall(regent101 etc). My priority of concerns are quiet environment for study, money, and lastly a private bathroom with my roommate only. </p>

<p>I have a hard time choosing between standard double room in regent 101 and the double room with private BR in Friedrick Hall. I like the room in Friedrick better, but regent 101 is cheaper.</p>

<p>P.S im in college of letter and science, my friend is in engineering.( if that matters)</p>

<p>Does anyone has any suggestion to me?</p>

<p>Since Friedrick is in the lake shore region, I wouldn’t worry too much about noise. The lake shore area is very peaceful and usually pretty quiet. Each dorm is a little different of course, but as a whole I wouldn’t worry too much about being disrupted while you are studying. If anything, you can just head over to Steenbock Library and study there. It is open until 1 AM Monday-Thursday.</p>

<p>The Res halls dorm is on campus- closer to your classes and quieter. You are not that concerned with money if you insist on a private bathroom. Find out who has to stock (t paper) and clean that bathroom. You are paying for a luxury with your priority.</p>

<p>They have opened some new dorms since my days on campus but, as I recall, the only dorm rooms with private bathrooms were for Liz Waters housefellows. In short, if this is your requirement, dorm life is not for you.</p>

<p>There is NO guarantee you will get the type of room you request from the UW–it’s done by a lottery. An advantage of the private dorms is you get what you sign for. </p>

<p>Regent usually has lots of athletes due to the location and that would be a problem in my book. They tend to be a little louder and crazier than the average student.</p>

<p>i did check the dorm again, and Friedrick does has new type of room with private bath. Im not sure how much I have to add to get that type of room, but I will go with the school dorm right now. And I can choose which one i want later online, so If i don’t have enough budget for room with private bath, i will just choose the regular type of room. </p>

<p>Thanks for all of your response.</p>

<p>My son is a freshmen, and is staying in Chadbourne. Next year, he will be getting a 3 bedroom with 6 boys at Pres House. The 3 bedroom has 2 full baths. Cost is competitive with dorms (maybe a little less, even on an annualized basis).Both are located right next to the Humanities Building.</p>

<p>I sent in a deposit for a double at the Regent. I did the calculating and it’s like $100 cheaper than the standard dorm rates. I love the regent. I’ll be a freshman in the fall and my bestfriend is living there now I visit her all the time.</p>

<p>Pres House has an awesome location and is nearly new.</p>

<p>Isn’t Pres House affiliated with a church? Therefore not for the nonChristian. Also- I personally do not find State St to be a nice location for liviing- being a bit further from State St is much nicer. It’s a good thing UW has more than one area with both dorms and apartments.</p>

<p>It’s on the mall with a view of the Union and fountain. Being able to walk out and grab food from one of the many food carts would be pretty cool. They allow anyone to live there. </p>

<p>“The Pres House Residence is owned by the Pres House Student Center and professionally managed by Forward Management. No religious affiliation or expectation is required”</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.preshouse.org/sth.main.cfm[/url]”>http://www.preshouse.org/sth.main.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>^I believe they do attract a lot of religious students, though.</p>

<p>Probably–lots of UW students go to church too. It’s not some evangelical cult type group. I don’t see how that would be big issue. They also sponsor lots of non-alcohol focused events open to all. Sounds like a sound alternative to most dorms public and private.</p>

<p>Going to church and being religious are two different things- some Catholics still go to church because of rules saying to, for example.</p>

<p>Well, my first roommate in the UW dorms was a seminary transfer student. Hardly your typical UW type but we got along. Best thing was he went home most weekends. I just don’t see any big deal living with some folks who are more religious. They are often more interesting to talk with than the average student. And I have not darkened a church doorway for decades save weddings/funerals. But generally I think they make great roommates as they tend to be serious, quiet and respectful of others. I’d take them over the common UW meathead any day of the week.</p>

<p>barrons- calling UW students unflattering names does nothing for positive marketing of our alma mater. Students- no matter where you live you are bound to find many types of people. A plus for the UW campus’ size is the variety of experiences to be had.</p>

<p>I did not mean dumb–just raucous so meathead was a bad choice of words. Change meathead to raucous. In that regard it’s the same as most big state schools around the US.</p>

<p>Playing with semantics/word choices. Some people are quiet and reserved. Others are loud drunks. Others are loud and raucous but also studious and never into the party scene. Think of your college bound HS peers- some A students are quiet and others extroverted. Many different personalities, but all need to study to succeed. A few won’t- you tend to hear about the unusual behaviors and anecdotes, including exaggerations. I have plenty of stories of my own, memorable because they were the exceptions rather than the daily life. The majority everywhere on/around campus obviously do settle down to work since the return rate is high as are classroom standards.</p>

<p>My main point was in response to the seeming attacks on “religious” students as if they are somehow weird and undesirable to live with. The rest may have contained some hyperbole but face the facts–UW has a well earned reputation as a partying place that will never be mistaken for the University of Chicago in that regard.</p>