Housing

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere but want to make sure I am understanding process.

UA is S19’s top NMF pick and he already has Presidential Elite scholarship so top safety without NMF. However, he likely will not make a decision till mid-March when info is out for all of his schools and his NMF status is known. Is it best to make the non-refundable enrollment deposit so we can make a housing deposit and ensure housing? Or is honors housing guaranteed for NMF’s? I guess I expected the housing deposit but just realized that the enrollment deposit was required first.

When we visited, they said that the enrollment deposit was not refundable, but part of the housing deposit was refundable if you decide not to attend. Someone asked about scholarship situations, and they said that deposits for housing would be credited back later if the student had a scholarship. For students who have to pay, the deposit is credited against the housing bill. Hope this helps.

Not depositing only means that you would not get first crack at picking what room you get, not getting shut out of rooms. So you may not get the exact dorm building or room type you want if you don’t put a deposit down, but you would likely not get shut out of housing, especially now that there is more housing on campus.

Do a search on the term “ridgecrest” in this sub. I found one post that said there were still empty suites on May 7.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/20639140#Comment_20639140

We’re in the same boat. To elaborate for those who are curious, the $300 housing deposit is mostly refundable. $35 of that $300 is refundable, but the other $265 will be refunded to you. You need to make a housing deposit to select a room. And the earlier you make a deposit, the earlier your time to select a room.

However, in order to make the housing deposit, you must first make a $200 enrollment deposit. The enrollment deposit is completely non-refundable.

What’s more, you most make the housing deposit by February 1 to get a place in line. And, if you (or your child) applied regular decision anywhere else, they likely won’t hear from the other school by February 1.

My opinion, based on the fact we were in the same situation last year, is to make the enrollment and housing deposit early, as insurance, if that is an option. I wish we would have done it earlier. (I think we did in Mid December, missing one of the cut offs).

In reality, there will be space for your kid, in Ridgecrest likely, even with a later deposit, but have an early selection time is preferred and gives a small measure of comfort knowing you do not have late selection. It is also nice knowing you have an early slot of there is someone with a later one to pull in.

OP, feel free to PM with any questions. Like I said, we were in the same spot last year.

Roll Tide!

Thanks @elodyCOH @DavidPuddy @gusmahler - talked with DH and we will just bite the bullet and make the deposit. This is S19’s top safety and I think the school he is most likely to attend. I guess it’s a small price to pay for a little peace of mind that the housing is lined up.

@mountainmomof3 So glad to see this question. We are in a very similar situation with our S19 and UA being his NMF pick. He hasn’t visited yet, but he is enthusiastic about what he has learned so far. I have a newbie question about enrollment deposits - can you make enrollment deposits at multiple schools while you are still deciding?

OK, I think I answered my own question by finding this thread. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/430893-enrollment-deposits.html. I think our S19 will wait a little while to hopefully hear from other EA schools before making any deposits.

There will definitely be space with a late deposit. There is also the option to be “pulled in” to a room by a roommate with an earlier selection date/time. Ridgecrest had singles (within a 4 person suite) available through the last day/time of selection the past 2 years.

@Roo17 thanks for the info!!!