How am I going to get around this?

<p>I graduated from high school in 2007 and attended college directly after graduating. I went for 3 semesters until flunking out, but I passed all of my english, math and psychology classes. My major at the time was computer science and I don't know how much about computers, but it was basically a young and stupid mistake to go into that major. </p>

<p>3 1/2 years later today, I have a wife and a baby. I still have my grant that covers my entire education and $800 per month extra for rent and groceries. The only problem is, I want to do what I'm good (something involving anatomy) and I've decided on nursing.</p>

<p>The new college I transferred to said my old GPA will transfer WITH my credits (I've heard GPA's don't transfer), and the nursing program is HARD to get in, so basically they're saying I will most likely be denied getting into nursing now because of a couple computer science classes I failed 4 years ago? Is this serious or will the nursing program mainly look at my anatomy and english scores? Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>There are some colleges that don’t transfer grades from other colleges, only credits.</p>

<p>It may be advisable to try to develop as much of a success story on courses relevant to nursing before you officially seek to get into a nursing major. In the application, or in an accompanying letter if there is no place on the application, be sure to explain your situation and show your GPA without the computer science classes. </p>

<p>The greatest risk may be at large public universities where the admissions are driven by numbers, with little human intervention. At smaller schools, they can understand your situation.</p>

<p>Thank you for your response. </p>

<p>Yes, in the most recent 4 years since attending college previously, I have done a lot of maturing and growing up. I’m not married with a newborn son. I’ve worked in pretty hazardous places like the underground coal mines, blasting sites, inside of prisons and I even was in the Army for a short period before being medically discharged. </p>

<p>Do you think typing them a letter stating that I have matured and since getting a taste of failure and re-evaluating what I wanted to do with my life I am now more determined than ever to demonstrate that I have the qualities necessary to become a great healthcare professional?</p>

<p>By the way, I have personal training and nutrition certifications, do you think since those involve biology, anatomy and understanding of the human body those will look good on the application?</p>

<p>Thank you again for your response.</p>

<p>Those are all relevant. Just be sure to keep your letter or essay as concise as possible to get the points across - admissions officers get tired of reading. </p>

<p>Many nursing programs do require a personal essay for admissions - it looks like you have lots to talk about.</p>

<p>Great. Thanks. I just don’t want to let yesterdays failure ruin tomorrows success. The above was an error in my post, I’m now married with a newborn baby, which is a lot of the reason I have matured so much. That plus I’ve been out in the real world and done dangerous and miserable jobs.</p>

<p>In your opinion, do you think I’m shooting my own foot off by going back with my past transcripts the way they are?</p>