How are the English and History departments?

Hey all. I applied Regular Decision to Tech and I’m still waiting to officially hear back from them. I’m pretty sure I got in, though, since I’ve been invited to go to a University Honors event next weekend. I’m a Legacy, so my dad is psyched. I’ve been accepted into UVA and GMU, but I’m not totally sure where I’m going yet.

Anyway, my question’s about Tech’s English and History departments. Are they good? If I go to Tech, I’ve decided to take on an English and History double major. Tech’s known all around the country for its Engineering, but I’m more of a humanities guy. Probably gonna put myself on the Pre-Law track. Would the English and History departments at Tech prepare me for admission into law school or maybe a career in journalism?

Thanks,
Insaniac

For those majors…I would recommend UVA (assuming you like it and would want to go there)

There is an English and History department? (just kidding) But bboop makes a good point. Tech is not one of the “traditional” paths to law school.

On the other hand, keep in mind that Nikki Giovanni is part of the faculty so don’t immediately dismiss the school. FWIW my roommate at Tech was an English major and is now an attorney. It was not his initial plan, but that’s how it all worked out.

Okay, I’ll keep that in mind.

Hi Insaniac,

Been awhile since I visited CC, but I saw your post and thought I’d chime in! I have a daughter who is majoring in History and is in the Honors Program. She also has taken several English courses and has learned a great deal (some were taken to fulfill Honors Program requirements, some just for electives). She has been very challenged and happy with the History courses she has taken thus far. She loves her professors and has found them to not only be very intelligent and interesting, but also extremely kind and willing to work with her in any capacity, whether it be for undergraduate research or mentoring her for fellowship and scholarship applications.

Since the history department (and I assume English Department) is not large, she feels she gets a lot of individualized attention. Another caveat for VT is the fact that because it is a research based university, there is a focus on undergraduate research, even in the liberal arts fields. Check out this link to see some of the stuff that is going on there. Publishing and being able to work with professors on various research projects is really encouraged by the professors there.

http://www.uri.clahs.vt.edu/

Also there is the undergraduate historical review which is pretty awesome.

http://www.history.vt.edu/vtuhr/index.htm

If you are interested in Civil War history, VT has one of the best reputations for scholarship in that area. It houses the Virginia Center for Civil War Studies. One of my daughter’s favorite professors, Paul Quigley, is the first James Robertson, Jr Professor for Civil War Studies. She takes as many classes as she can from him. She also has found that the department’s increased emphasis on digital history courses has served her well. They have made some very solid hires in the history department in the last three years and she feels that she is getting a great undergraduate education.

Being a Virginian she sometimes gets the “you went to VT instead of UVA for a history major?” but she has heard from at least two different internship bosses (at a museums and state department office) that Virginia Tech’s history department is not only a “hidden gem” but also “very well respected”. She, too, considered UVA and W&M, but found the atmosphere and vibe of Virginia Tech to be more to her liking. She has never regretted her decision and she loves being a Hokie.

Best of luck with your decision!

Thanks!