How do AP - CLEP - Transfer Credits Work?

<p>We are looking for clarification on how AP, CLEP and transfer credits work.</p>

<p>I have the Finish in Four grid in front of me.</p>

<p>We get some of it - for example, UA gives 6 credit hours for APUSH, which will fill the two slots for HI or SB. It’s the rest that’s confusing.</p>

<p>For example, S now has 14 credit hours for HU/FL. There are only 3 slots for classes in the grid - so more credit hours than slots to fill.</p>

<p>Also, he has AP credits for slots not on the grid. For example, 8 credit hours for AP Physics B. He also should have credit hours for AP Physics C but will take PH at UA anyway.</p>

<p>What happens to the credits that don’t correspond to a slot? </p>

<p>S also has some transfer credit from PLTW. UA has already given him credit in DegreeWorks for this. Does this count towards the 45 max AP/CLEP hours?</p>

<p>Credits that don’t correspond to a spot just sit on the transcript. DegreeWorks may not include classes that will just sit on the transcript. That tool is just to make sure your req’ts are fulfilled.</p>

<p>For example, S now has 14 credit hours for HU/FL. There are only 3 slots for classes in the grid - so more credit hours than slots to fill.</p>

<p>Yes, that happens when you have a lot of credits in an area that is not your major or minor. If your son decided to double major or minor in that subject, there would be spots to put those extra credits.</p>

<p>Those extra credits are a big plus when wanting to have an earlier registration time for future semesters.</p>

<p>What wonderful “problems” to have!!!</p>

<p>We are Blessed with our children, with UA and with the fine friends we find here at CC.</p>

<p>Thanks. I think what confused me is how our kids can technically be soph. level due to the number of credits but are not on to the soph. level part of the grid.</p>

<p>So, the extra credit hours are just extras on the transcripts and really do nothing more than bump up the total credit hours.</p>

<p>The hours that do fit into the slots free up time to take other classes. This means other electives could be taken earlier or in those time slots.</p>

<p>Right?</p>

<p>Thanks. I think what confused me is how our kids can technically be soph. level due to the number of credits but are not on to the soph. level part of the grid.</p>

<p>What grid are you talking about?</p>

<p>Yes, the extra credits free up a student to take other classes.</p>

<p>As for the “extra credits”…they serve the same purpose if he had taken extra classes at Alabama just for interest. My kids took Italian at Bama just for interest. The credits didn’t go towards their grad req’ts since they already had plenty of Spanish credits.</p>

<p>The Finish in Four grid - but really could be any written set of graduation requirements - this one just happened to be handy. </p>

<p>One more question - what is HI or SB? I don’t see either of those two acronyms on the class schedule search. Is there a better place to find acronym definitions?</p>

<p>HI…history</p>

<p>SB…social behaviorial science (like psych)</p>

<p>*HI…history</p>

<p>SB…social behaviorial science (like psych)*</p>

<p>Otherwise known on the class finder as HY and SOC. </p>

<p>Thanks again :)</p>

<p>HI and SB are course attributes rather than subject/department abbreviations as many different departments offer courses with the SB designation. To search for courses with a specific attribute, go to the advanced course search instead of choosing a subject/department, select all the subjects/departments, and then select the attribute(s) you would like to search for.</p>

<p>How do you get to a grid to print out on Degree Works?</p>

<p>I have a slightly more specific question about CLEP testing for Spanish.
S earned a score high enough to get 14 credits, evidently. I notice on the nice chart that FL/HU is listed as the designation for the 1st 8 credits only. The 11 and 14 credit slots have a - (dash) under their designation. Does that mean only the first 8 credits go towards FL/HU, or ???
Here is the link for UA’s CLEP/AP credit chart: [University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>HI and SB are course attributes rather than subject/department abbreviations as many different departments offer courses with the SB designation</p>

<p>Right…just like “N” is the attribute/designation for many of the bio, chem, physics, etc, “natural science” classes.</p>

<p>And there’s a variety of classes in all the various majors that that the “W” designation…to fulfill the upper division Writing requirement.</p>

<p>RTR…I didn’t know you could print a grid out in degreeworks…hopefully, someone will know. </p>

<p>Aero…looks like it. Is that a problem? Won’t your child have more than enough FL/HU credits?</p>

<p>Edited to add. I wonder if it’s a mistake not to count the 201/2 classes. On the Core Req’ts site, it says…</p>

<pre><code>SP 101 Introductory Spanish I HU
</code></pre>

<p>SP 102 Introductory Spanish II HU
SP 103 Intensive Review Introductory Spanish HU

• SP 104 Spanish for Engineering HU
    SP 201 Intermediate Spanish I HU
    SP 202 Intermediate Spanish II</p>

<p>If it makes a difference, I’d find out.</p>

<p>Well, cramp!
If they don’t give you all 14 credits towards FL/HU, then the ‘extra’ 6 credits just sit there on the transcript, as was mentioned above?!
You see, if he only gets 8 credits towards FL/HU, that leaves 1 measly credit needed to fulfill that requirement, which really means taking a whole 3-credit class, now, doesn’t it?
I will phone tomorrow and update you all then…</p>

<p>Aero…</p>

<p>I think he’ll be fine. I think SP 201 and 202 will count.</p>

<p>But, if they don’t he can take a one credit class. Is he doing AA or OA? If so, there ya go. </p>

<p>If not, then he may need honors credits anyway and therefore take a FA or HU class in Honors.</p>

<p>The new catalog seems to give the full amount of FL/HU credit. </p>

<p>[Academic</a> Records and General Academic Policies < The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/universityrecordsandpolicies/#creditbyexaminationtext]Academic”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/universityrecordsandpolicies/#creditbyexaminationtext)</p>

<p>For purposes of fulfilling requirements, think of 101 and 102-level language classes as each being 1 class rather than being 3 or 4 credits each. In my catalog (2008), the requirement is listed as being 6 semester hours of C or FL courses, but the FL part of the requirement is redefined as being 2 semesters of a foreign language rather than 6 credits. Look at the requirement as being 2 semesters of a foreign language, 3 HU credits, and 3 FA credits.</p>

<p>Here is the link for UA’s CLEP/AP credit chart: University of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12</p>

<p>I read those dashes as a “same as above”</p>

<p>Does anyone know how long it takes a CLEP score to make in into Degreeworks?
Also, I am correct in assuming the CLEP score will count for the Depth Study or "2 Classes in HI, SB, HU, L, or FA courses. Students must complete 6 total credits with these core designations in the same discipline (subject) to fulfill this requirement. "?</p>

<p>Lattelady is right… he’ll get full credit…</p>

<p>Spanish, Level 1 & Level 2 48-51 SP 101 & SP 102 8 FL/HU
Spanish, Level 1 & Level 2 52-55 FR 101, FR 102 & FR 201 11 FL/HU
Spanish, Level 1 & Level 2 56-80 FR 101, FR 102, FR 201 & FR 202 14 FL/HU</p>

<p>YES! This is a greatly improved chart (esp since AP language tests have now been updated as well). Thanks, Lattelady!
Only wrinkle, the Spanish CLEP now gives credit for FRENCH classes! :slight_smile: Who knew?!</p>

<p>That’s funny, aeromom! </p>

<p>I’ve also noticed a difference (for French, at least). When the student gets AP credit, the frosh class credit is 4 hours for 103. If you go the CLEP route, the frosh class credit is 8 hours for 101 and 102.</p>