How do community college grades impact GPA for UC admission considerations?

<p>Hello I am going to be a senior in high school next fall. My GPA is very low so I plan to sign up for online community college classes over the summer to boost my GPA.</p>

<p>I heard that only community classes listed on assist.org AND satisfy one of the a-g requirements will give the GPA boost to my high school “UC” GPA. Is it true? If so, how do I find out which classes listed on assist.org also satisfy the a-g requirement?</p>

<p>I also read that each qualified community college course is counted as one <em>full year</em> of a-g course taken but only <em>one semester</em> of “AP” class when calculating the high school “UC” GPA (gives 5 for an A, 4 for a B, etc). Can someone please verify this also?</p>

<p>Thanks for all your help in advance!</p>

<p>Any community college courses marked “UC-transferable” and are 3 units or more will be weighted and calculated into your GPA. Any courses NOT meeting those requirements will still be counted in your a-g and GPA, but they will not be weighted.</p>

<p>Community college courses will meet the full-year subject requirement but the grades will only count for one semester. This is pretty much true across the board at every UC, although I have heard conflicting information every now and then.</p>

<p>MsSun,</p>

<p>So as a High School Junior now, if I were to take say 3 Community College course between now through Summer of 2012(before Senior Fall start), will all three courses(say approved by UC and listed in doorway/assist as Honors courses) be considered as one semester load outside of current 2nd semester courses of high school Junior ?? Not sure How UCLA or UC-B would compute the GPA in this case…</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>f2loop - I am not an expert on this, so take it “for what it is worth”, but I believe that each of the three CC classes would count for a semester of A-G 10-11 credit with the honors point. As always, the official UC weighted GPA would be capped at 8 semesters, however I also understand that unofficially UCLA and UCB also look at your overall uncapped GPA. </p>

<p>So basically if you had 23 semesters of A-G classes in grades 10-11, this would bring your total to 26 semesters. </p>

<p>Again, please verify…and double-check the classes against the doorways web site to ensure the classes qualify for the extra grade point.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes, each college course that is college (IGETC) transferable counts as one grade for your gpa calc. Three courses count as three grades and three bonus points. UC gpa, which is capped at 8 bonus points total, is used for UC eligibility only. All gpas (uw, weighted capped, and weighted uncapped) are available for the app reader.</p>

<p>All UCs calc the gpa’s the same.</p>

<p>UW
Weighted, capped at 8 bonus points max
Weighted, uncapped (as many bonus points as you earn)</p>

<p>@f2loop, if you take 3 semester-long community college courses, then you will get 3 semesters of grades calculated into your GPA (the equivalent of 1.5 years of HS courses). But it would count as meeting 3 year-long a-g requirement.</p>

<p>@bluebayou, I want to point out that UC eligibility calculation caps at 8 semesters weighted. Most UCs also use the capped GPA for admission evaluation. As far as I know, only Berkeley and UCLA uses fully weighted GPA for admission evaluation. However, that may have changed due to many campuses switching to holistic review this year.</p>

<p>Thanks to all of you. But UCB and UCLA have always said that they go through Holistic Review process. But what and how exactly they treat GPA(weighted/Unweighted/Capped/Uncapped/ High School GPA/ CC GPA…etc) is not clear - do they just see these extra CC courses as how well you have challenged, or they really use them in GPA computation is not clear. Talking to Admissions offices and Dept of Letter and Sciences at these univs, you get different answers and sometimes vague answers - when you ask them - what exactly is the “Holistic Review Process” mean from their Application reader’s perspective to admit a candidate?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Perhaps. But “most UCs” also use ELC as a admission factor. And ELC is based on weighted-uncapped gpa. Hmmmmm.</p>

<p>The point is that the application readers have access to all data points, including the ‘rank’ of those students applying to UC from the same HS.</p>

<p>@f2loop, Berkeley takes holistic review pretty seriously and applicants are evaluated as individuals, with all of their achievements and qualities taken into consideration. Berkeley looks at fully weighted and unweighted GPA. Below is the long spiel I have written for my blog after the alumni volunteer training:</p>

<p>Freshman Admission</p>

<pre><code>Berkeley screens for UC eligibility before admission evaluation, so the campus will be adopting the eligibility changes implemented by the UC system.

Berkeley uses holistic review for admission evaluation. For an explanation, see http://students.berkeley.edu/admissions/freshmen.asp?id=56&navid=Y. There was also UC Berkeley’s ‘holistic’ application review sets the standard for system - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee (March 24, 2011) that discussed how the process works:

Every factors listed on the freshman admission brochure is taken into consideration and there is NO point scale and NO specific weight assigned for each criteria (although I have noticed the campus leaning toward academic achievements again, so make sure you focus your attention on your coursework and grades).

What Berkeley means by “all achievement is considered in the context of your educational circumstances” is that the campus gets THREE sets of context for each applicant: you compared to other students at your high school who applied to Berkeley, you compared to other students at your high school who applied to the UC System (any UC campus), you compared to the entire pool of applicants who applied to Berkeley during the current application cycle. So you have three chances to look good; whether you are the cream of the crop at your crappy school or the top 30% of your cut-throat magnet school, you will be noticed (I picked “30%” out of the air, it’s not an actual stat).

Why the Personal Statement is Important

Helps the campus determine distinctions among highly qualified applicants
Provides information and context of an applicant's academic and personal experiences
Demonstrates student's ability to overcome any challenges
Illustrates the context of an experience with concrete examples

For leadership, Berkeley is looking for:

Motivation
Tenacity
Initiative
Demonstrated concern for others and for the community

While outstanding/consistent achievements are favored, improving grade trend is considered.

You should always take the AP exams to show you’re willing to try (but if you can’t afford the exams, state that in the Additional Comments section of the application); there is NO penalty if you receive a low score.

Additional criteria considered by College of Engineering and College of Chemistry:

Math and science courses above the requirement/recommendation
Strong SAT/ACT math and science scores (SAT Subject Tests in Math Level 2 and science are recommended)
Demonstrated interest in these majors (extracurriculars related to your major)
Stated interest in the major within the personal statement

OOS/International applicants must meet the general admission course (while a-g is not strictly enforced, applicants should comply with the general subject/number of year requirements) and exam requirements along with a 3.4 GPA. The admission index is not applicable and while each eligible applicant will receive a thorough review, applicants do not receive any form of guarantee. International applicants whose language of instruction is not English must also submit a TOEFL/IELTS score by January.
</code></pre>

<p>Sorry the formatting is all screwed up … you can see a better formatted version at <a href=“Error”>Error;

<p>@bluebayou, all UCs consider ELC on paper, but when you talk to readers you hear different things. Berkeley and UCLA, according to the readers, do not consider ELC (at the very least, ELC plays an extremely small, if any, role in admission evaluation). It’s questionable how much of a role ELC will play for admission evaluation at other UC campuses give many of them are converting to holistic review. If you think about it, ELC gives unfair advantage to affluent high schools that have the money and the staff to go through the process, so I’m not surprised that Berkeley and UCLA are not looking at ELC for admission consideration.</p>

<p>Yeah, I get that. Cal & UCLA also look at uncapped gpa…look, the UC’s are anything but transparent but design. You are doing your clients a disservice to let them think uncapped gpa does no matter. (and that is the only conclusion one ca draw from the mixed signals that you rdceivd.)</p>

<p>@bluebayou, I have consistently told all of the students that UCLA and Berkeley consider fully weighted and unweighted GPA, and that other UCs use some form of capped GPA (either 8 semesters or capped at 4.4 or 4.5) but also consider unweighted GPA. I supposed it’s possible my explanation can be misinterpreted (I guess you think “fully weighted” means “capped”? I use “fully weighted” to mean “uncapped,” something I picked up from Berkeley admission staff). I’m doing the best I can and I rely on students to ask for clarification if they are confused.</p>