How do students get admitted to honors college?

<p>Hi folks, I was pulled into this board after seeing the enthusiasm of the parents here. The current situation:
Our two state universities - In
Georgetown – deferred (a heartbreaker)
Northeastern - in with the 4-year Dean’s scholarship
UChicago - in but with zero aid. Cost is $66,000 all-in (not a typo)</p>

<p>My kid applied to UA and got in…and received the verification that she received the presidential scholarship. Does she now apply separately to get into Honors? We are planning to fly down in jan or feb. </p>

<p>It is a really quick and easy application. Basically you submit it and you are accepted. <a href=“Apply to Honors – honors.ua.edu | The University of Alabama”>http://honors.ua.edu/admission-to-honors/apply-to-honors/&lt;/a&gt; </p>

<p>Thanks! and I should make clear that the uchicago tuition is not possible for us so it’s off the table…which is why we’re now looking for strong alternatives. </p>

<p>I understand completely. Our ds has nothing but wonderful things to say about his experience at UA>. CBH has been fabulous. I am not sure if it is too late to apply or not b/c the deadline was the 15th, but I would HIGHLY encourage your student to contact Dr. Sharpe today to see if it is possible if your student is at all interested in research. </p>

<p>Congratulations on the results so far. If your daughter does decide to attend UA, and is enrolled in the Honors College, she will be among many like minded highly intelligence and driven kids from all over the country who chose UA over other prestigious schools due to the fantastic scholarship opportunities. Please make every effort to visit the campus and arrange a tour via the Honors College. Many students and families on the fence made the decision to attend right after visiting the campus. Good luck!</p>

<p>why is deferred a heartbreaker? No admission decision has been made yet. </p>

<p>Well, there’s 'deferred" and then there’s 'Deferred." :slight_smile: At Stanford (this is only what ive heard), there are very few deferrals and kids who are put into that category receive a strong 2nd look. At Georgetown, 100% of all EA applicants are deferred…meaning that your kid <em>might</em> be an just-missed candidate or might just be one of thousands who are never looked at again. For psychological reasons, we’re moving on. :slight_smile: (which is not to say that D wouldn’t be over-the-moon if something happened). </p>

<p>I think you can also assume, from the cost of Chicago, that even an acceptance from Georgetown would likely have been at full cost as well, so that could have been a heatbreak either way. </p>

<p>I commend you for your D getting that application in to UA on time so that you have this option. The scholarship makes it a great value.</p>

<p>I’ve seen this situation with family and friends a few times. Child gets accepted to top name college at full price, and scholarship at less prestigious but excellent college. Families choose which works best for them with their budget, and your D will likely be with peers at UA who did the same, as well as students and families who recognize that it is a good value. </p>

<p>There seems to be a lot of love for UA on this board, and hopefully your D will agree. </p>