How generous is UMiami with financial aid?

<p>I am a rising senior and considering the University of Miami, but the price is extremely high and I would definitely need substantial financial aid to attend. Disregarding merit scholarships, how general is the U with financial aid?</p>

<p>Any help/advice is appreciated!</p>

<p>UM is amazing at meeting demonstrated need-based aid. It’s worth a shot to apply if you’re interested in the school.</p>

<p>I agree. I am an incoming freshman and I don’t have to take out any loans.</p>

<p>Their scholarships do depend on you ACT or SAT score though. My S applied there a couple years ago. Received 0 in merit scholarship with a 2090 on his SAT. I called and called. He had a 4.4 GPA, 11 AP and H classes. Captain of this, president of that! 300 community service hours. Financial Aid told me they had to put a hard stop somewhere and merit aid went to those with SATs of 2100 and higher. He was even a legacy…</p>

<p>Miami doesn’t consider your writing score, so the SAT would be out of 1600, not 2400… And I’ve seen plenty of students get merit aid with less than a 1400 SAT, which would be the 2-score equivalent of a 2100, so I think that the particular Financial Aid officer you spoke to gave you misinformation.</p>

<p>Just recently I was made aware of a student who had all of the great merits of Rice1961 and was told that because the class rank was not in the top 5 percent, that was the reason for lack of generosity with fin. aid. </p>

<p>So, as great as all of the other things are on the resume, the bottom line is a high 33+ ACT or 1400 + SAT, class rank 1-5% for the best $$, and GPA. The other stuff is great, but doesn’t count in the $ game.</p>

<p>Just saw today that the freshman scholarship page on the UM website is totally new from when my DS was waiting for his decision. I did not see any specific stats listed as in the past. I’m on my phone, otherwise, I’d post the link here.</p>

<p>My son is only a sophomore, but curious as to scores needed for financial scholarships and grants. Currently he has a 3.9, hasn’t taken his SAT, and is in AP, honors, and plays 2 sports. He also has a lot of charitable work and leadership positions. What are his chances of getting money.</p>

<p>From what I’ve seen, around a 1350 might get a little money, but you need a 1450+ for substantial money.</p>

<p>^^if he’s a sophomore now, he might need better scores for merit when he applies. Miami’s class gets stronger every year, meaning that merit aid will also be more competitive.</p>

<p>DS had a 35 ACT and a 1520/1600 SAT, 4.32 GPA and HS did not rank. He was invited for the Stamps/Singer scholarship weekend and was awarded the Singer scholarship. This was the 2012-2013 application season.</p>

<p>[New</a> Freshmen / First Year Students | Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/admission/index.php/undergraduate_admission/costsandfinancialresources/scholarships/new_freshmen_first_year_students/]New”>Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami)</p>

<p>Check out this link. They are giving themselves a lot of leeway now, unlike in past years where they had specific test scores and GPAs linked to scholarship amounts.</p>

<p>As point-of-reference, my DS (now a UM freshman) had 32 ACT, 4.0 WGPA, top 5% rank and received $15K presidential scholarship. As teenybodybuilder notes, every year the competition increases. You can compare the entering freshman class from year to year by googling University of Miami Common Data Set.</p>