University of Miami Financial Aid

One of the main schools I want to attend is UMiami, however I’m coming from a low-income family with a single parent. Does UMiami give good aid and scholarships (I am the valedictorian of my HS - one of the largest in NYC - and I participate in numerous EC’s) that would allow me to attend? I am aware of the expensive cost of this school compared to others.

I don’t know why you have no answers yet.
Miami is very score driven. My son had a decent GPA but not Val, probably too 10%, and enough APs to graduate a semester early, there were no essays, but I think he got his scholarship because his test scores were very high - 2320/2400, 800 on Math, 730 CR, 800 Math II and 800 Physics? I think.
he got a half tuition scholarship; we have no financial need.
There are even better scholarships available, up to full for foote fellow. It depends a lot on activities and leadership. My son mostly had sports-related stuff,
no real community service or particular leadership, so you COULD do better, but I’d also look at options that are either less expensive or offer to meet full need. Whatnis it that you like about Miami, and where else could you find that?

@biomike @Gudmom is 100% correct on this. Miami gives a good amount of merit aid, but it basically all goes to the top 5% of the class. In other words, UM bends over backwards to give the most money possible to the very top of the admission class and the rest does not really trickle down. Strong test scores is the best way to secure merit aid from UM. In terms of financial aid, I have heard mixed reviews. Some said that UM was great in giving aid, and others said the only offer was a work-study opportunity, but even those do not really compensate for the high tuition. It is a very expensive school, no doubt

I don’t think that the statement that all merit aid goes to the top 5% is accurate. See the UM common data set for this year:

https://pira.miami.edu/facts-and-information/common-data-set/index.html

Out of 2,342 freshman students, 701 students received merit aid. That means that roughly 30% of incoming freshman received some merit aid. You can’t tell how evenly the merit aid was distributed. The average award to students who received merit aid was $22,653.