How hard would this schedule be?!?...Upperclassmen advice please!

<p>Hey, we gotta request classes pretty soon. This my tentative schedule, tell me if you think it would be overwhelming:</p>

<p>Chemistry 1036 (second semester), with lab
PHYS 2305, with lab
Multivariable Calc honors
Intro. Diffeq honors
ENGE 1114</p>

<p>I should note that there's no point for me to take any CLE or electives because I have all the credit I need for them to gradute.</p>

<p>So, does this schedule seem too difficult?</p>

<p>2305 shouldn’t be too bad…chemistry is pretty easy, and 1114 is just busy work.</p>

<p>Can’t speak for multi honors, but I took honors Diffeq second semester and really enjoyed it. A good chunk of the class studied for the tests together and the class average was above a 90% because of it. Given the horror stories current engineering buddies have about regular diffeq, honors might be the better way to go.</p>

<p>You’re still in honors at this point, so it’s clear what the lower bound of your GPA is. Given your work ethic, I think you can definitely handle this course load. I’d consider adding an easy-A class to pad your GPA a bit, though.</p>

<p>Well, it isn’t easy but it’s as easy as you’re going to get.</p>

<p>Actually, it could be easier. I have enough AP credits coming in that I could take 13 credits every semester and still graduate in 4 years, but I’d like to take around 15.</p>

<p>Should I drop one of these classes, because I’d still be ahead of everyone else?</p>

<p>stick with it through the first few weeks. If it’s not too bad, keep it. 13 credits this year DOES NOT equal 13 credits your senior year. That’s part of what sucks so much about technical majors: senior capstone courses are the same number of credit hours as physics. Guess which one will take 40 hours a week, and guess which one will take 4?</p>

<p>Get ahead as much as you can. At worst you’ll be able to take more technical electives in your Junior and Senior years to better specialize your degree.</p>

<p>Oh, ok, I see your point. I will stick with the 16 credits.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Here’s my more detailed analysis while I put off sleep</p>

<p>Chemistry 1036 (second semester), with lab - I didn’t take the lab but the class isn’t that terrible. It will require some time but is MUCH MUCH easier if you get the DVD, whether your professor uses it or not. GET THE DVD. It’s in the bookstore or you can find someone that took it last year.</p>

<p>PHYS 2305, with lab - That’s the first physics, right? If you took physics in highschool you’re basically set. There is new stuff but you’ll have a good foundation. If you didn’t then it’ll take a little extra work but really the class isn’t that hard.</p>

<p>Multivariable Calc honors & Intro. Diffeq honors - I paired these together and here’s why: Most people I talk to had a really easy time with one and a really hard time with the other. For me Multi was extremely hard while DiffEQ was extremely easy. Part of it may have been that I had an awful professor for Multi, but I really found it to be a difficult class. DiffEQ is memorizing a couple equations and a couple ways to do the same problems over and over, doing them, and promptly forgetting everything you learned when the class is over (Unless you’re EE in which case I think you need it for circuits or something.) So yeah, this combo isn’t bad, you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>ENGE 1114 - Stupid class that they need to change substantially to make worthwhile. Spend more time making sure your headings are correct than actually doing the homework problems and you’ll probably get a higher grade. </p>

<p>So yeah, that’s a kind of heavy workload, but I’m assuming you’re not an incoming freshman since you’ve got elective fulfilled/are doing course request, so you should be fine. There isn’t really a good one to drop since I’ll bet they’re all prereqs for whatever you want to take next, but if you have to pick one I guess you could go with Chem since you already have the first semester done and should be able to fill out the next semester’s schedule without needing it (unless you’re chemical engineering or something.)</p>

<p>chuy,</p>

<p>This is actually my second semester (still a freshman), I just had a lot of AP credits.</p>

<p>Also, I’m in materials science, so Chem 1036 is necessary (the lab isn’t, however, I’d still like to take it).</p>

<p>I think I’ll just try to tough it out the next few semesters for junior and senior year. I also got a co-op, so I really need to stay focused and on top of things.</p>

<p>Thanks! (also, thank you hokesgama)</p>

<p>Oh yeah, I learned the header thing in ENGE pretty fast this semester</p>

<p>I took honors Multi Variable last year and I’m in honors Diffeq now. I loved both classes. If you can get Shugart for Diff EQ and Arnold for multi they are both great.</p>

<p>Oh hey, I graduated MSE. Drop the chem lab; it’ll be a bunch of busy work for nothing. Join MEPS as early as possible too. You can get a lot of opportunities (and do fun stuff with people). Talk to Professor Aning if you want to join now; he is extremely friendly and would be thrilled to have another freshman in the group.</p>

<p>Thanks Chuy, I sent him an e-mail asking how to join. I looked at the website for MEPS and it does look pretty cool!</p>

<p>Also, I thought that chem labs were pretty important for MSE?</p>

<p>Not really. Actual lab work is, but freshman level labs (focused entirely on documentation and repeating a previous experiment) isn’t. You will have one MSE lab where you learn that stuff and… it’s enough. Any other MSE questions feel free to ask. I specialized in metallurgy with a emphasis on metal casting.</p>