How much does legacy affect my changes of getting into the University of Wisconsin Madison?

My older brother is currently a Sophomore at UW Madison. I just applied for early action, and I am worried about getting in. My stats are on the edge, I have a 27 ACT and 3.97 GPA. I’m heavily involved in extra curricular activities, but I am applying to the biology major so I am just worried my stats aren’t good enough to get in. Will the fact that my brother currently goes there help my chances?

If you look at the common data set for Madison, you will find it does not matter at all. Most of the state could be legacy if you think about it.

Fair amount. But not sure brother counts. See p7. https://uwmadison.app.box.com/s/a6924b0oncjo12hq7kjzdvl6c4yirjob

Good find! Striking numbers showing a significantly higher acceptance rate for legacies (defined as an applicant who had a parent graduate from UW). Unfortunately OP’s brother doesn’t fall under the definition of legacy though.

Not surprising that parent-child legacies get into UW. Very likely those parents have children with the stats et al to get in. Siblings are an entirely different situation.

Chance me - both parents are uW Madison grads. 31 ACT and 3,9 GPA… 12 AP ranging in scores from3-5

99.9%

I wouldn’t count on legacy much from UW. Son has a friend who has legacies going back for generations (parents, grandparents, aunt, uncles, siblings) as well as being high donors. Not sure of her exact stats but is definitely considered to be smart at school, successful in a bunch of APs, etc-she applied EA and was flat out denied.