How much does legacy help at Wisconsin?

<p>My father went to the school and did very well. I have some on the edge stats so I was wondering if that could be a factor in my decision. </p>

<p>Not likely. There will be many in your situation. If you get in it is on your merits and UW feels you can succeed.</p>

<p>Probably not. Almost everyone smart in Wisconsin went to UW, so it really provides no edge. This is not a private school</p>

<p>Actually a very positive edge. Admit rate for legacy is significantly higher than avg for UW overall. </p>

<p>Is that still the case if you account for the fact that the vast majority of legacies will be instate, barrons? </p>

<p>According to then director of admissions in a 2007 article, Rob Seltzer stated that if it is between admit and postpone, and the applicant is a legacy, the decision will be ‘admit’.</p>

<p>For reference - the OP was postponed with self-described on the edge stats 27 ACT and 3.6 GPA.</p>

<p>UW’s common data set, I believe says, legacy is a “considered” factor. Sounds consistent with may be enough to push a postponed into the admit pile.</p>

<p>Yes, I did get postponed! I’m so happy to even get that considering my stats are pretty low for UW. I got a 4.0 this semester so hopefully my mid year grades can help me get into that admit pile! Thanks so much @Madison85‌ for everything you do on all the Madison threads, you give us all the best info and references, means a lot to all of us! </p>

<p>That’s still great @acceeptmee23 ! Good luck on getting in during the second admission group! I’m rooting for you! :D</p>

<p>@Hereford15‌ Thank you!! I hope you get your decision soon! I know it sucks having to wait :frowning: hopefully we’ll both get good news soon enough!</p>

<p>Thanks so much! @acceeptmee23</p>

<p>@acceeptmee23 I think it is likely you will get admitted. Excellent job on the 4.0 this semester. Keep up the positive attitude. I think a 3.6 GPA and 27 ACT is right in there, not on the edge (don’t sell yourself short).</p>

<p>@Madison85‌ Thank you! I also recently joined the National Honor Society and my counselor said that putting that on my application after being postponed could really help. After being postponed are the decisions still rolling? Or do I find out on a certain day at the end of March?</p>

<p>There are nearly as many OOS alums as instate but they don’t break the stats down to that level. So IDK</p>

<p><a href=“http://apir.wisc.edu/admissions/New_Freshmen_Applicants.pdf”>http://apir.wisc.edu/admissions/New_Freshmen_Applicants.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Interesting - see page 7/7 of above attachment: 70% of legacies are admitted, 45% of non-legacies are admitted.</p>