How to find a good physician in Tuscaloosa

<p>My daughter is currently a Bama student. We need to find an internal medicine physician nearby (preferably female) to assess an unusual medical symptom that may lead to testing. We are from OOS and I have no way of determining a quality physician from my insurance list, nor do I know the name of a high quality hospital near Tuscaloosa with which a physician should be affiliated. My daughter does not want someone affiliated only with DGH nor does she want to go to the school health center because it is too impersonal. Does anyone have recommendations or ideas on how to proceed? Thanks.</p>

<p>It seems UAB would be the closest</p>

<p>Is your daughter in the honors college? There are some great “moms” over there that could probably give good recommendations. Maybe her church group or parish has a student group leader that can give a recommendation? I’m out of state as well, but I think there are a lot of caring people over at Bama that would be glad to give your daughter a doctor recommendation. </p>

<p>Also, when we selected our storage unit, in North River, we drove through nice residential neighborhoods, and I seem to remember seeing doctor’s offices there. It’s just over the bridge, so not too far from campus. As we drove further down the main highway, as we frequently got lost, we saw more residential areas and even a hospital, so I imagine there are doctors’ offices associated with that hospital where she can find a good GP.</p>

<p>Keeping your daughter in my prayers that her health issues resolve.</p>

<p>Yes. She is in the honors college. How do I locate those “moms”?</p>

<p>Not to be sexist, but there are some wonderful ladies over at Nott Hall who take good care of our students. Don’t be intimidated by their “titles”. They are very caring individuals and live in the community, so they would probably know of doctors in the area that they could recommend.</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>We have been in contact with Jane Batson several times over the past year. She refers to herself as one of the “moms” and personally, I think she is wonderful. Her information is below. If she can’t make a referral, perhaps she could point you in the right direction. Good luck and I’ll keep your child in my prayers too.</p>

<p>Program Manager: Mrs. Jane Batson
272 Nott Hall
205-348-5500
<a href=“mailto:jbatson@ua.edu”>jbatson@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Yep, that’s the mom I was thinking of, too. There are also some “big sisters” over there, too. I don’t know how imminent her situation is, and since Alabama Action is going on this week, it might be hard to get in contact with people at the Honors College. Jami Gates is now at the law school, I think, but she is a big sweetheart and could probably give your daughter a recommendation, or steer her in the right direction. Despite its size, Bama really cares about your kid individually. One of the reasons we love it so much. Best of luck to your daughter.</p>

<p>Also, Dr. Sharpe is one of the most caring individuals I’ve ever met, and I only gave you the ladies’ names because you mentioned preferring a female doctor. I’m sure he would be more than happy to help your daughter if she catches him over at Nott Hall.</p>

<p>What level of hospital do you need. There is a medical center in T-town. For very unique situations, then UAB might be needed, but usually the local med center hospital can handle everything.</p>

<p>As for women in the honors college…your D could talk to Mrs. Batson or Kiki Karatheodoris (they would likely know a lot about various local doctors)</p>

<p>Start with Kiki…
205-348-5537 <a href=“mailto:kiki@ua.edu”>kiki@ua.edu</a>.</p>