Howard University Regular Applicant Forum 2018-2019

Mine just updated to decision made???

@flight18 Check your Financial Aid tab. Before the decision email, my son’s portal named him as “UG Fall 2019” as status in Financial Aid. That is when I had a good idea he’d be accepted, and that appeared about 24 hours before we got the email. Good luck!

Acceptance came on Friday (3/31) and a Merit Aid award came today (4/2). They are moving pretty quickly, since the May 1 deadline is looming.

@laxmom2000 I got accepted the same day with your son, but I haven’t gotten any merit scholarship email. How did you figure out about the scholarship?

@pigustavo He received an email this morning…subject : Howard University Merit Scholarship Notification. It goes on to say that this scholarship will be included in the financial aid award package, along with any additional financial support for which you may qualify. This is not the “official package”, just a notification of this particular scholarship. He did not apply for it, so it must have been based on his GPA or ECs (Leadership Scholarship).

@laxmom2000 May I ask? What are his stats, and the value of the leadership scholarship?

I can’t seem to figure out where the financial aid tab is…can someone help me out?!

My financial aid tab did not name me as UG fall 2018 before I got admitted, and it doesn’t still show till now. It seems like ithe financial aid tab depends on the pace of the financial aid office, which is obviously not aware if the acceptance emails are already sent to admits, after their acceptance. Maybe they just attend to one admit after the other, when they are given info from the admission office about accepted students applying for finaid. My financial aid tab appeared beside the student services tab. You received the new course evaluation and turbovote tabs under student services tab (I also did so before I got admitted), which is diff from the finaid tab, but don’t worrry if yours doesn’t show, with what I’ve seen, different applicants have their portals updated with different paces. @flight18

Thanks for the update… I appreciate @pigustavo
…kinda anxious tho

You’re welcome @ flight18

My son was accepted RD and also received a full Merit Based Scholarsh

IF you had a choice of Howard, Georgetown, Columbia, Cornell for your 17 year Black male child
Which would you chose

@jcobgyn Congratulations to your son! Please, if you can, can you share his stats?

@jcobgyn Those are all very good choices so I would not actually choose for him, but I’ll let him decide, and I’ll go with it if it’s affordable. (Though I’m not a parent LOL) buh I think I like Columbia. Howard is also good since he is Black.

Attended private school, International Baccalaureate Program
School specializes in languages ; therefore he learned Chinese, Spanish and Russian
ACT Reading 34 Language 33 math 29 Science 27
GPA. 3.8
School does not rank

SAT was not good
We did not submit

Why Columbia
It is in NYC
I worry about safety

Haha…I’m international so I don’t really know about safety
I’m not saying he should choose Columbia. It depends on what he is studying and what he desires.
All those schools are prestigious, and Columbia and Cornell are ivies. I really dream of getting into a prestigious school and Columbia is one of the best 10 in the whole world, and they are known for every field, including engineering, which I want to study. I don’t really know about Cornell (especially in relation to engineering), except from she being an Ivy. As I said, it matters on your needs, you pointed one out–safety. But all of them are great offers, and I’m sure your son would not regret any of his choices.

When did your son get a Howard acceptance, and when did he receive his scholarship? Did you say it was a full ride?
Anxious, I also had similar stats (except that I submitted an equivalent SAT) . LOL

I just got my acceptance letter…omG? I’m so excited

Congratulations!!!? @flight18

Thanks @pigustavo