Howard University Regular Applicant Forum 2018-2019

Feels like I have been waiting for a year already

Is it just me who got a mail from howard?
They want me to pay $300 and complete the other steps? How can I even pay the money without receiving any financial aid information :neutral:

@Harkehaldar are you from Nepal too?

@Safaltaa You’re not the only one.

This is for international admits…and maybe aspiring international applicants for next year.

Okay, I don’t know how I should start this … My Dad was able to get across to someone in Howard’s financial aid dept. and he said that Howard’s policy has changed for intl students. They no longer give need based aid to international students…

We also got across to a friend (a student) at Howard and he said the max MERIT SCHOLARSHIP that Howard now gives out to international students is not more than $12K. I was doubting a bit, but now they have sent me an email to pay my enrollment deposit even without any financial information. I am no longer waiting for Howard, since I have another manageable option from a school that I visited and loved during my last trip to US. You can still choose to wait, but I don’t think I can do that anymore.

Sorry for not informing you earlier…I was worried about how you’ll receive the news, but now I realize that I wish someone had told me earlier, so that I would have moved on with other things and planned on attending another school that had admitted me. I feel like Howard just took out useful amount of my time without even being worthy of it. I don’t want you to feel the same way too. I have accepted my admission to a school that managed to give me need based aid, a visit scholarship and their max academic merit scholarship. I hope you have other good options, and I wish you all good luck in your academic plans.

@pigustavo Thank you! Best of luck for your future endeavors.

general source of information for the Howard University students. … institutions to meet academic requirements if they have received prior … and signing into the Bison Web using the Howard University student ID number and PIN; … Reserve your courses via Bison Web

@Safaltaa Yes Im from Nepal

@pigustavo I don’t know if I believe their is a cap on the scholarship funds for international students as Howard’s President has a picture with incoming Presidential Scholars (full ride scholarships) on his Twitter feed (from February) and it has a caption saying that the students are from all over the world. For all prospective Howard students with high stats and international students, I have been recommending that they apply Early Action if possible because they no longer just give Automatic scholarships based on stats and there has never been as much money during the RD round. Howard has never been a full-need based school and the best way to get money is to apply early, have great stats, and write good essays, but nothing is no longer guaranteed. I am glad you have another viable option and I wish you the best in your educational pursuits.

@Harkehaldar If you hear anything from the admission office, can you please tell me. That would be helpful.

@laxmom2000 I agree. I guess I should have applied EA. Maybe he said that (about max scholarship) because he has seen almost no international student getting above $12000. Either way my chances are still very low since I applied late. I already had a good option elsewhere and Howard wasn’t seeming like it would be better. Thank you very much!

@Safaltaa sure

Hello, fellow Nepali here. Did any international student recieve their financial package yet? It is really saddening to hear that Howard has changed their aid policy for international students.
@Safaltaa @Harkehaldar Let me if you guys get any updates! Lets hope we’ll be awarded with decent aid package.

Are they waiting for the next year to release the financial aid decision?

Has anyone received anything?

Oops…post #89 was directed to @ChangeTheGame and not @laxmom2000

Hey! Any of you got any updates…

Nope. I was hoping if you guys had any.

Only 5 days until the 1st of May. I’m starting to lose hope that we’ll receive the financial package before the deadline.

Guys, I reached out to the international Admission counselor and he said the financial aid office is working on our financial aid package that we will be notified in the coming days. So I think we just have to wait a little bit longer

With regards to the enrollment deadline, he said after the award info comes they will give us adequate time to make an informed decision

Thanks for the update. Anyone else see changes in the Financial Aid>Eligibility>Student Requirement>Aid year 2019? It says that my ISFAA is satisfied as of 24th April. Is it just me?