HU/L/FA and HI/SB Elective for Engineering

<p>I seem to have read somewhere that 6 of the HU/L/FA/HI/SB electives hours had to be in a sequence, which I assume means same subject different levels. Can anyone with experience clarify this for me? Thanks</p>

<p>From DegreeWorks
1 Classes in HI, SB, HU, L, or FA courses. Students must complete 6 total credits with these core designations in the same discipline (subject) to fulfill this requirement.</p>

<p>Sequenced Lit or History classes are typically classes like American History 1 and 2…or British Lit 1 and 2 or American Lit 1 and 2. The history sequences usually span a number of years.<br>
The Lit sequences often span a number of authors. </p>

<p>If your child has any AP Euro or AP History credits, then the sequence is complete.</p>

<p>Here are some history sequences</p>

<pre><code>HY 101 Western Civilization to 1648 HI
</code></pre>

<p>HY 102 Western Civilization since 1648 HI
HY 105 Honors Western Civilization to 1648 HI
HY 106 Honors Western Civilization since 1648 HI
HY 203 American Civilization to 1865 HI
HY 204 American Civilization since 1865 HI
HY 205 Honors American Civilization to 1865 HI
HY 206 Honors American Civilization since 1865 HI</p>

<p>Here are some Lit sequences:</p>

<p>English Literature I HU or L
EN 206 English Literature II HU or L
EN 207 World Literature I HU or L
EN 208 World Literature II HU or L
EN 209 American Literature I HU or L
EN 210 American Literature II HU or L
EN 215 Honors English Literature I HU or L
EN 216 Honors English Literature II HU or L
EN 219 Honors American Literature I HU or L
EN 220 Honors American Literature II</p>

<p>Don’t, also, foreign language courses satisfy this req? Isn’t this what is called the “in depth” study? My son’s Degree Works shows he has completed this (w/ incoming Spanish CLEP course credit).</p>

<p>I dont’ think a FL class covers the sequence req’t. I wonder if that’s a mistake in your Degree Works.</p>

<p>. Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history.</p>

<p>A FL class isn’t Lit or History.</p>

<p>Is it possible that requirement is different for engineering?</p>

<p>The civil catalog just says: “²A 6-hour sequence in either HI/SB or HU/L/FA core classes is required. Students are encouraged to consider EC 110 as an SB, CE 220 as an SB, and/or a foreign language as an HU.” (from [University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)) about a sequence.</p>

<p>My son is also showing his sequence complete in DegreeWorks based on his DE Spanish credits.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>You’re right! It’s different for eng’g. I never noticed that because my eng’g son had AP history credits that counted.</p>

<p>* A 6-hour discipline depth study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, and FA or HI and SB.
*</p>

<p>So, eng’g students can use FL or SB classes for sequence. :)</p>

<p>Must a student have one sequence for Hu/L and one for HI/BS (total of 4 classes) or just one sequence in either HU/L or HI/BS ( 2 classes)</p>