I Ended Up at James Madison University: Here's Where Else I Applied

Hi all, I’m one of the CC Student Ambassadors and I created a list of all the schools I applied to outside of JMU. I put the reasons why I applied to them, why I ended up not choosing that college, etc. I wanted to share this list to help anyone who is looking for schools similar to mine, so feel free to ask me any questions about my list or about my college application experience!

23 Likes

Congratulations on a very successful application process. Hope you are loving JMU!

6 Likes

Congratulations to you, and hope you are enjoying JMU so far.

Would you be willing to share your stats? I’ve got several of the schools you applied to in a list of possibilities for my D24, but we will be chasing merit (trying to keep cost capped at $35k per year).

1 Like

Thanks @MegHartman for sharing your college list and your thoughts on each school!. It was interesting to see how you consciously chose your own path and I’m glad that you found a place you’re so happy with that is also in your budget!

If anyone wants to a glimpse of Meghan’s life now that she’s at JMU, take a look at this Day in the Life feature she created for CC’s instagram and TikTok.

James Madison University | Day in the Life of a JMU Student (collegeconfidential.com)

2 Likes

Hi thank you! I superscored 700 verbal and 620 math on the SAT (which I sent to all my schools) and had around a 3.85 weighted GPA when I submitted my applications. I also took 2 APs classes junior year and 2 senior year but I only submitted two AP Tests (both 5s).

6 Likes

Hi. I thought JMU didn’t give OOS merit scholarships. Do you mind sharing how much you received? We were going to cross this off our list due to cost.

Hi! I have two scholarships, one is a two year housing award that covers my on campus room (about $5,500 a year, but changes based off room price) and a Madison Recognition Award that is $9,500 per year. JMU does have a reputation for not offering OOS merit, I actually wasn’t offered either of these at first. I ended up receiving my scholarships by reaching out to my admissions counselor and asking if they could offer me anything, so I would highly recommend doing that with any school but especially JMU!

7 Likes

Hi Meg!
My daughter was accepted but concerned it may be too much of a party school - what do students do that aren’t into partying each weekend night - are there campus activities set up? Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.