I feel like I screwed myself over.

<p>As the title says, I feel that my potential and abilities have gone down the drain over the course of three years in IB
(Pre-IB years). I'm in IB 11 right now and my grades suck. I really want to go into science , but I've had the same math teacher for all three years and I can't learn a thing from him. I can't afford a tutor due to the time I spend in my extracurriculars.. Here are my grades:</p>

<p>IB English HL - A
IB TOK - A
IB Psychology HL - A
IB Biology HL - A
IB French SL - B+
IB Chemistry SL- B
IB Math SL - C-</p>

<p>I'm known as one of the hardest workers in my grade.
I'm constantly depressed and these low grades bother me everyday. The only reason why I'm doing IB is so I can get scholarships to help my overworked parents who are experiencing major deterioration in health.</p>

<p>I hate that those in regular courses are having a much easier time and get great grades. I don't know if I'm going to get in university. It seems my hard work is futile. Should I stay in IB? I know I can't improve in Math as long as I have the same teacher that I've constantly done horribly in. I've already burned out several times.. I know I'm not stupid but I can't perform well on tests... My classmates always think I'm getting straight As but I'm far from it..</p>

<p>Is there anyway you can switch math instructors? If you went and talked to your dean/principal I’m sure they would probably understand and want to help!</p>

<p>Except for that C-, you’re grades aren’t THAT bad.
You CAN improve in Math if you use outside sources besides your teacher. There’s a bunch of resources like Khan Academy and PatrickJMT (a ton of great math videos!). If you have time, you should really check them out.</p>

<p>yo man, i really feel the same way.
i’ve been enrolling in the AP curriculum before the IB (i started in year 11), and its been screwing me up ever since.
my teachers (since they are employed with long term contracts) don’t give a ■■■■ about the students, and almost 80% of the time, things are self-studied.
my mother has been nagging me ever since the start of summer break about my ■■■■ IB grades ( i do not get how some people receive such high grades! ex.40+), and i’m too depressed to think about what i’m going to do about it next year. hope it turns out well for both of us.</p>

<p>Hey, by the looks of those grades you don’t seem to be screwed over. You seem to be on the right track to getting your IB diploma and some decent scores on most of your IB exams. You can make up for lower scores in math and chemistry by doing well on the extended essay, the TOK essay, and your other IB subjects (only 4 points per class average to get the 24, remember?) Just try not to get twos or anything. </p>

<p>My advice would be to see if you could possibly test IB Math Studies (the lowest level even below SL) just to take off some of the pressure, or utilize some of the online resources that @Animefan1998 mentioned. You might can test for the lower level math even if you stay in the same class, it might just require a bit of self-study. I was in HL Math and I could try to help you with a couple of questions if needed, though I’m not the best teacher. </p>

<p>Regardless of how your math turns out, I recommend that you ease up on yourself a bit. I understand that you want to make college a bit cheaper, but if you get the diploma by doing well in your stronger areas, your performance in two classes probably isn’t going to make or break the bank anyways. It’s hard to get a lot of college credit for SL courses, especially math, in the first place. Depending on your major you might want to take Chemistry again to get a good foundation so IB credit won’t matter, and it sounds like there’s no reason for you to expect much math credit either. Even if you don’t get the diploma you can probably expect the same credit for your HL classes. </p>

<p>As for your grades in high school, it’s okay to not make straight A’s. Do the best you can but IB speaks for itself in terms of your academic performance. </p>

<p>IB is worth so much more than college credit if you can enjoy the experience. Learn. Grow. Improve. I don’t know what school you’re going to but there comes a certain point when too much credit isn’t useful anyways. There is so much more to life than trying to achieve perfection.</p>

<p>The bottom line: Turn that frown upside down.</p>

<p>For Math this is great - <a href=“Oxford Study Courses for the IB Diploma Programme”>Oxford Study Courses for the IB Diploma Programme;
you just have to create a free profile and get accsess to a bunch of helpful videos. I used it to prepare for my final IB exams last month and omg so helpful.
For Chem - <a href=“Richard Thornley - YouTube”>Richard Thornley - YouTube;
and <a href=“Scribd: Ebooks, Audiobooks & More - Read Free for 30 Days”>http://www.scribd.com/collections/2502983/Chemistry&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I hope I’ve helped. Don’t give up :slight_smile:
ps - message me for more tips if needed</p>