I got a D+

<p>freshmen year in spanish, am i totally boned for uc schools and even csu schools? however this year as a sophomore i got an A and the next 2 years i am taking spanish and i’m pretty confident that i will get at least B+'s if not higher the next 2 years. is there anything i can do to explain why I should still be considered? i mean if i got an A sophomore year it means i had to learn something my frosh year, plus i was driving an hour and 30 to school each day, both ways</p>

<p>It wont affect you for mid tier UC (meaning all minus CAL,LA,and SD) same thing happened to me got a D freshman year in French 10th grade I got a C and I got in to UCR,UCM, cal poly, csuf.</p>

<p>Well, considering that UCR and UCM accept anyone who is “UC qualified” I don’t really think that makes a good point about “mid tier UCs”</p>

<p>I know for a fact that this year, UCSC automatically rejected anyone with a D in any class, regardless of other stats…and UCSC is one of the easier UCs to get into…</p>

<p>However, freshman year grades aren’t calculated into the UC GPA…Play up the distance as a total “hardship” in your essays and you might be okay…however, try and talk to that teacher and see if they’ll change the grade…it never hurts to ask.</p>

<p>Freshman year really doesn’t matter, as long as you still meet all your requirements.
And, since you’re taking plenty of years of foreign language…
I wouldn’t worry about explaining it.
If anything, this could help you ‘show an upward trend’ without negatively affecting your UC GPA.
If you have a good explanation, go ahead and tell them; having had hardships tend to give you a boost.
But don’t stress overmuch if you don’t have a reason for the slump.</p>

<p>Didn’t you have to repeat Spanish 1 to go onto Spanish 2 if you got a D?</p>

<p>I got a D in junior year calculus and still got into to UCD, so don’t trip</p>

<p>This website might help…[University</a> of California - Counselors](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/educators/counselors/resources/askuc/answers/repeating.html]University”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/educators/counselors/resources/askuc/answers/repeating.html)</p>