I took AP Courses in HS; How do I get College Credit for these Courses?

Ok, so I took AP classes and took the exams in the class to obviously pass (with Mostly As, if not Bs) - Now I am having an issued with the colleges accepting them or counting them as credits, without an “AP Score” from the college board-- this is going to take so much more time… Aside from getting course waivers, it seems like my only option is to retake all these classes or CLEP out??? My HS GPA was 3.87 and only have ACT scores - which is permitting waivers… but I need the credits!!
I did not know I had to take an additional test to receive the college credits and I had moved from AZ to WA in my Jr. year, due to my stepdad’s military reassignment.

Does anyone know of another way?

Here’s what I have done…

1. Contacted College Board to request scores, because I graduated in 2019, I had to request an archive report (15-business days).
    - this is to check if the scores were recorded, but if I had to do a separate test from in the class- I will have NONE.
    – If they are in there, I now have 3 accounts, the 1 I just created, and 1-each for the HS I took the classes at…

2. Tried to submit Transfer Equivalent to a University- they said AGEC can only be processed by Community Colleges…

3. So I took a couple courses from my program, in order for them to process my AP Courses- and now being told, they only accept them if the “AP Score” comes from the College Board.

4.Please if anyone has any idea how to resolve this, without having to retake these?
Pre-Calc 1&2
AP Calc (AB)
Adv Geometry
AP Language (AB)
English Literature (B=CADR)

• ABS/BIO/MIC - for Biological/Microbiology Science

• Pre-AP Bio 1&2
    • Adv Chem 1
    • Adv Chem 2
    • AP Chem 3 & Lab
    • AP Chem 4 & Lab
  • Electives (CTE Dual Credit / Tech Prep) [“T” on Transcripts]

Visual Communication
Comm Photo I

• Other courses
    8. Spanish 1-4
    9. AP World History
    10. AP US History
    11. AP Gov/POL (AB)
    12. Cultural Studies (B=CADR)

I’m a 1st generation graduation student… so all this is new to me- and none of the advisors are helpful… they just want to take my money & sign me up for these classes again.

Were the AP exams offered, you just didn’t take them? Yes, you’ll need AP exams-with scores of 3 or better (depending on the college, some require 4 or 5) in order to get credit. Without AP exam, there’s no way to prove you mastered the material.

Wait, you graduated high school in 2019? That would make you a college senior. All incoming college advisors ask for AP and/or DC paperwork/transcripts when you register.

3 Likes

You are confusing an AP class, which prepares you to sit the AP exam. AP exams are held only in May every year, and that is the only way to get college credit for them.

Also, many of the classes you list do not have an AP exam. From your list of classes you were possibly eligible to take the AP exam in:

Calculus (AB)
English language
English literature
Chemistry
World History
US History
US Government

Every college has it’s own rules as to whether they will give credit towards graduation, and how much credit they will give, and it is often tied to your score on the AP exam.

No college will give you college credit just for classes that you took in high school.

You don’t retake all those classes. Are you attending a college now, or are you applying?

If you are attending a college, go to your advisor, and go through the graduation requirements for whatever you are studying. Your advisor will help you figure out what classes you still need to take. For example, if you need to take Chemistry, my guess is that the four classes you took in high school will be covered by two classes (Chem 101 & 102, both with lab). You won’t have lost everything: college classes are typically faster than high school classes, and the things you learned in high school will help you in college.

If you are applying to colleges, once you have been accepted and enrolled you will be given an advisor who will work with you to figure out what classes you need to take to graduate.

tl;dr: if you didn’t take a 3 hour exam in May during high school you won’t have AP credits.

7 Likes

Thank you! I enrolled barely in November 2022, to the community college because I misunderstood that the AGEC application could only come from a community college- I assumed they would apply my AP classes; but they misled me by saying they couldn’t evaluate them until I was enrolled.
I did get waivers for my Eng. & Mat., but that was based on my GPA.

I finished my 1st set of classes (4). I am accepted to ASU Spring 2023 & trying to cram 64 credits by Summer 2023 (Max to xfer in);
Although I didn’t get credit, I’m now hoping the Waiver will flow through to the University.

I could CLEP out as well, but I literally have my own schedule after meeting with 5 academic advisors; I have my degree plan… & should be able to get my BS in 18mths- even without the AP Courses being applied.
11/2022 - 5/25/2024
Fall 2022 (end of block- 4 completed)=13 credits
Spring 2023 (8 courses- 4 per block) = 25 credits
Summer 2023 (8 courses- 4 per block)-24 credits -----62 credits
ASU-
Spring 2023 B (6 credits-2 courses)
Fall 2023 (15 credits- 5courses)
Spring 2024 ( 15 credits- 5courses)
Summer 2024 (15 credits- 5courses)

Work credit: 6-9 credits

I just started because of residency issues & tuition costs because of moving & transferring credits between states as well; I was supposed to start Spring 2020- but COVID happened… prolonged it even longer.

This is so dumb… I’m upset and the HS advisors don’t explain this to the extent it needs… essentially… out of HS, I should have had 36credits… Considering the combo set; I’m a 1st generation graduate, so I failed myself in not asking more questions.

But at least I’ll be able to have my BS at 22, without the 4-yr path; the back on track for MS at 23.

But wait… there’s more… I think National University will take my AP Courses for credits… We’ll see… I’ll keep you updated-

@rissarae01

Please clarify this for me. We’re you hoping to get AP college course credit without taking the AP tests and getting scores?

If so, I think you must have misunderstood what was told to you when you were in high school. I don’t know of any college that gives credit for just taking an AP course.

And there are also some colleges that don’t give college credit even for AP courses at all.

And some colleges will give you college credit…but they won’t apply towards fulfilling degree requirements.

I think getting AP college credit ship has sailed for you. But good you have a plan to graduate!!

6 Likes

To be fair, that wasn’t misleading- that is standard at almost every college

4 Likes

They evaluate by looking at your AP scores not just that you have taken the course.

4 Likes

As far as I am aware, you MUST take the AP TEST in order to get credit for college.

BUT, many colleges don’t give credit for AP test scores.
Many colleges require scores of 4 or 5 in order to give credit.
Many colleges might only give you placement into the next level of the course, and that might only be for a score of 4 or 5.
Colleges make their own rules about this.

I suggest you see if ASU accepts CLEP credits, and take those tests. They may only take certain CLEP scores for certain classes.

It’s really unfortunate that you didn’t understand that you would only get AP credit by having a score. BUT, most colleges will only give credit for scores of 3, 4, or 5. You might not have received as much credit as you thought you would, even if you had taken the tests.

It’s very surprising that your teachers never informed you of upcoming AP exams. What’s done is done. Take CLEP if possible, that will help speed things up.

Edit: Colleges must have an actual score on an AP test because the tests are standardized. So if Teacher A does a great job teaching the subject, it should be evident with the students’ scores. Maybe Teacher B teaches the same subject, but all her students get 1 or 2. Clearly that teacher didn’t teach so well, but perhaps she gave all her students top grades. Having a score ensures that the student knows the subject, or not.

6 Likes

OP - It sounds like you have a plan with ASU to graduate without worrying about the AP credits. I’m glad that is working out for you.

For other students reading this thread, you need to take the AP test if you want the class to be considered for college credit, and even then, some colleges are stingy with what they will accept.

For DE classes, most schools will not give you an answer about credit until after you matriculate because they need to assess the syllabi.

It’s typically more straight forward for your own state’s publics but not always.

My advice is to not make assumptions on getting credit, especially when trying to budget costs. Assume that you’ll be there for 4 years.

4 Likes

This is a VERY intense schedule. It is really hard to keep up that pace. Try to factor in some occasional down time because you don’t want to burn out. Five courses a semester, especially if any have required labs, is going to be very challenging.

Best of luck.

6 Likes

What major is this? That schedule sounds very challenging!

Yes, and it is possible that OP may not be able to get all the required courses during a given semester. Maybe a class will fill up with upperclassmen, or not be offered in a particular semester.

OP, you might want to consider a back up plan too, so that you can regroup should you not be able to maintain your planned timeline.

4 Likes

My kids usually took 15 - 18 credits each semester, one has 19 this semester, but I can’t imagine 5 classes during the summer since they’re condensed (and usually expensive charging for each class the part time rate).

4 Likes

Colleges want to see AP test scores to give credit.

For a few subjects (usually foreign languages and occasionally math), colleges may have their own placement tests to give advanced placement.

What is your major?

You need to complete courses that are required for your major, courses that are required for your degree (ie. general studies) and a total of 120 units an ASU Bachelor’s degree. Will ASU give you units for working?

You may find that some upper division courses are only offered once a year. And, if one course is a pre-req for a second or third course, if you don’t take that first course when it is offered, you won’t be able to take the second or third courses. Some upper division courses may be offered during the summer but you can’t count on that.

Why did you meet with 5 academic advisors? Did anyone plot out which courses are available each semester and what order your should take your courses in?

3 Likes

I don’t understand what the rush is. Why are you pushing yourself, to complete so many units, and getting AP credit, when the timeline doesn’t matter to anyone?

@rissarae1 You do understand that there’s no timeline, correct? The age when you graduate from college does not matter to the colleges, nor to corporate America.

You are a first generation correct? So your parents have not gone through the educational system in the US correct? Please take the advice of the people here online who have gone through the system. I was first generation as well. Pushing all those classes together, in the next six months with labs and with group requirements, is really not a good idea because your grades may tank, and then your admission to ASU may be rescinded.
Do you want to put your admission at risk with ASU?

I remember my AP classes in high school and I remember the teachers saying “OK we’re on a deadline; the tests are in May. Make sure you’ve paid your fees.”

The College Board expects students/parents to pay fees, to set up a seat for each test. For students who can’t afford to pay for the tests, they have waivers, but that is done in advance.

When my kids went through this, I had to pay for each of the tests that they took. It adds up and is expensive. The College Board makes money. This is a financial thing.

It’s hard for me to believe that you didn’t hear, from any AP teacher, that the tests’ results were required for college credit, or, that you didn’t hear the student buzz around you, at either school, that you had to make your payment and take the tests.

It is equally hard for me to believe that the College Board is going to give you a pass on this because you “weren’t informed”.

There is no timeline, nor age requirement for you to finish college. As a first generation former student, I can tell you, there is no requirement, nor age limit, to finish college. There are 80 year-olds getting their degrees at universities. I’m not telling you that you have to be 80 to get a degree, but people do get their degrees at any time or age.

4 Likes

I also don’t understand this. Why would you have three accounts? You are the same person and all test results (if you took them), regardless of where you went to HS, should be on the same account.

3 Likes

Just to clarify – did you ever take the official AP Exam (which you have to pay for) for any of your classes? Or did you perhaps take a final exam in class, or even a practice AP exam in class, but not an official AP exam?