IB Diploma Plan Help

<p>Yes thanks she is actually talking to a therapist about it and it seems to be helping. She is very smart and truly does not have to study so much! She loves writing and doing projects but hates group work because she is so bossy!! Wants everything done on her terms!! In our school most of the top students are in AP. The kids in IB tend to be those that are average or a little above average. Not sure if this is true everywhere. My daughter is probably in the top 2% … And she is a perfectionist… And she is very very driven… And she tends to overtake the class while everyone kind of sits back and watches…you get the picture. I can’t decide if IB will be frustrating for her because some of the kids are not as serious ( some drop out), or if it will be good for her. She likes independent work and is not a fan of group work, but in our school there is not much group work. Maybe the classes are different? Here is her junior year schedule:
AP Spanish
Math SL ( she chose one year so she can do calc senior year)
Physics SL
English HL
HOTA HL
Theater HL
I think TOK is senior year? I think that IB will actually reduce her stress level because there is more writing and less regurgitating. There is also time for her to debate and discuss.</p>

<p>My daughter is a self described academic nerd!</p>

<p>@twogirls I am glad that your daughter is trying to reduce the amount of studying when it is unneeded. It’s funny, it’s the complete opposite at my school. The top students are in IB and the “less” academically focused are in AP. And in IB, everyone is nerdy :smiley: I can also I am a bit of a control-freak and perfectionist but I know when I can’t control things and let things go with the flow or let someone else do a job(or delegate a job that’s suited to the person) that can achieve it better that than I. And many people underestimate IB or are tired of the work load and drop out to get into AP at my school. And it’s not bad to be a self-motivating person, I am, otherwise I would never get anything done(can be really lazy and procrastinate on occasion). But again, taking a deep breath, making a mental list and trying to see what I have ahead of me keeps me from thinking that school is all there is to life. <em>The deep breath part comes from playing an instrument btw</em> The only reason why I have talked about myself is because I can understand where your daughter is coming from to an extent, wanting to do well isn’t the problem it’s more like the execution of the problem.</p>

<p>My daughter just told me that they don’t get graded on the group work. They get graded on the paper that they write individually after they do the group work.</p>

<p>Yup. But your group still has to do well.</p>

<p>Yes you are right! It’s more about the way she goes about trying to do well!! She has started to write her work down on a dry erase board to cross off when completed. Funny how such a minor thing helps to reduce stress so much!</p>

<p>Yes you are right! It’s more about the way she goes about trying to do well!! She has started to write her work down on a dry erase board to cross off when completed. Funny how such a minor thing helps to reduce stress so much!</p>

<p>LOL I have a dry erase board at home too. I also talk out loud and make a mental list with everything I do, plus I have a planner. She will need a full sized planner for IB versus the smaller ones(I made that mistake this year) if she doesn’t use one already.</p>

<p>She uses a planner and also hangs one on her wall. I was told by students that IB starts out slowly and gradually gets more intense. Did you find that to be true? When are you taking the SAT/ACT?</p>

<p>Well it’s semi-true. My first week started with a project due in 2 days and getting all the stuff required and hw. But hw is pretty consistent and it’s odd not to have hw. It’s semi-slow, but I came in unprepared and it was a big shock compared to previous years. But I will always have to keep and make sure I have everything done and know how long an assignment will take(useful skill btw). I am pretty sure my senior year will be much more intense and all these dates I have to keep up with are catching up to me too. And I am planning on taking the SAT in March and May and the ACT April and June. I might take subject tests in June also, but IDK yet. Why? Because I don’t want to stress over them with IB and senior graduation things and applications. If I don’t like my scores I will take them again in August/October, but i really don’t want to. My school does SL as 2 years so I’m not studying for the IB tests right now and I didn’t take the SAT and ACT earlier in the fall because of marching season and events I had to participate in the past few months. I wasn’t ready too for either test last August/October.</p>

<p>We are trying to decide when to do ACT/SAT. My daughter took the bio SAT 2 freshman year- I told her to do it as practice. She studied very little because of limited time. The info was also fresh in her head- she ended up doing well. She will take chem this spring. She got a pretty decent score on the PLAN so right now we are thinking of studying/ tutor in August , Sept and part of October. She will take the tests Oct - Nov- Dec. She will do the spring if necessary, but by then she will have 2 IBs and an AP to study for. Sounds like you are doing well!!</p>

<p>I would suggest Junior year at least once and possibly twice if you can for each test as it is recommended. And before CC I was unaware of Subject tests, but again I wouldn’t have prepared for the Bio and Chem tests just because of the teachers and the material we learned. And that’s a good plan, I like it.</p>

<p>Hi- my older daughter took the tests February- March-April and May of Junior year. My younger IB daughter will start earlier ( I think) as I think she will be ready. She can always take it again in the spring if necessary. I learned about subject tests through the HS- they sent home letters freshman year.</p>

<p>LOL nope! My school is mostly focused with getting the majority of the populace of my school aware of colleges and what you have to take and everything. I think they should have more college awareness as freshman instead of Juniors. Many of my friends talk about screwing up there freshman and/or sophomore year. And because she has the 1 year SL, I would agree with taking the SAT and/or ACT in the fall of her junior year. She will still have plenty of time to take them again and they are 6-7 times a year too.</p>

<p>Yes I am trying to find the time when she can study and get tutored, while at the same time doing it when she is not swamped with work. My feeling is that if she can do her studying August/ September then with any luck she can take these tests in the fall when her school work is still relatively light. I am afraid that during the winter she will be very busy and come March she will be studying for tests. She is currently taking 11th grade classes this year so I think she will have the classes.</p>

<p>Thank you for responding so quickly! I like having somebody to think this through with.</p>

<p>You’re very welcome. I wish there were more people in IB to answer questions because I know I had many last year. I am also planning on holding a Q and A at the end of my Junior and Senior year for people who have questions that aren’t actually answered. And you’re a concerned parent wanting to do their best for their child, I understand. And taking advanced classes will help too. Yes it will be hard finding the time, you haven’t included hours for CAS yet either.</p>

<p>I went to the Q and A meeting at our school, I spoke with the IB coordinator and also with former students. Lots of questions!! In our school we can use sports and clubs etc for CAS. We can also use things that we may do as a family ie: seeing a show. My daughter will begin this summer. What are the tests like compared to AP?</p>

<p>I just emailed the IB coordinator asking if the hours earned towards NHS can be used towards CAS.</p>

<p>I just heard back from the IB coordinator. She said we can use NHS hours towards CAS as long as those hours are earned beginning Sept 2013 ( junior year).</p>