In case you missed it Saturday night

<p>I don’t think this is a case of whether someone is meek as much as it is a case of bad behavior by some fans and perhaps a difference in the standards of acceptable, respectful behavior. It would embarrass me for Bama fans of any age to boo the players, band, or anyone from a visiting team and/or throw things. I hope visiting teams leave Bryant Denny with less points on the score board, but with a feeling of being treated to southern hospitality.</p>

<p>Your team played much better than the last time we met, Slippy. I’m glad you enjoyed your time with your son and his friends.:slight_smile: Roll Tide!</p>

<p>“perhaps a difference in the standards of acceptable, respectful behavior”</p>

<p>With all due respect, this is precisely one of the reasons LSU fans hate Alabama so much. Bama fans have always considered themselves superior in nearly every respect (ask an Auburn fan), and have looked down their noses at LSU fans as rowdy, illiterate, swamp-dwelling drunks for YEARS. </p>

<p>As I’ve said, the vast majority of LSU fans understand sportsmanship and are courteous and respectful. But I’m pretty sure even the most courteous and respectful LSU fan doesn’t give a damn what Alabama fans think of them. </p>

<p>If you want to see a nice, polite, docile crowd at LSU, then you need to come to one of those dreadful 11 a.m. kickoffs.</p>

<p>"Bama fans have always considered themselves superior in nearly every respect (ask an Auburn fan), and have looked down their noses at LSU fans as rowdy, illiterate, swamp-dwelling drunks for YEARS. </p>

<p>I’m pretty sure even the most courteous and respectful LSU fan doesn’t give a damn what Alabama fans think of them."</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure those fans who don’t care what Bama fans think of them or who feel Bama fans feel superior to them made their point by exhibiting the behavior mentioned in earlier posts. I’m also pretty sure all LSU fans are not guilty of this behavior. As for Auburn, I’m pretty sure that street runs both ways.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Didn’t realize I would create such controversy or I wouldn’t have posted what I did. While my D has never cared about football before attending college, hubby and I have gone to SEC games several times (Vol fans, I’ll admit), and have now also attended an Alabama home game (had to buy Alabama gear once we got there), I’ve never noticed behavior such as what was reported Saturday night. We even tailgated with friends (Vol fans) in Knoxville earlier this year in our Bama gear and sat amidst Vol fans in the stadium and didn’t have any problems. </p>

<p>I do think emotions were high due to what was at stake, also taking into account the previous history of these two teams. It definitely wasn’t the average, run of the mill game.</p>

<p>Don’t worry about it Mckinna. This is just a difference in opinions here and is nothing to worry about really. :slight_smile: Slippy and I can disagree and it doesn’t even make me angry that are views are different.</p>

<p>I don’t hold grudges. After all, my son goes to Alabama. :-)</p>

<p>See, McKinna, beneath that spicy crust Slippy is really soft and cuddly. :slight_smile: Roll Tide, Slippy! :)</p>

<p>*That was a great game- almost gave hubby and me a heart attack!</p>

<p>On a negative note, my D is in the MDB, and she said that they were booed during the halftime show, booed and cursed at and mooned marching in and also marching out and had things thrown at them during and after the game. She said it was scary. That kind of behavior is uncalled for! There’s no reason for grown people to act that way.
*</p>

<p>The fact that your D has performed at several other games previously, and this is the first time this extreme behavior occurred does indicate that the a larger number of LSU fans do behave inappropriately. Maybe because a larger number perceive that Bama fans look down on them they are inspired to “kick it up a notch” (or three), so too many display gross behaviors when playing Bama that they don’t do when playing other opponents. Their stadium obviously does not employ adequate security so those who are embolden to behave that way do so with little fear. As someone who has been to many games at Bama, there are so many security people present that such behavior is really kept to a minimum because getting thrown out would be the consequence. </p>

<p>I have spent a good bit of time at LSU on at least 8 occasions, and I can say that I’ve met many nice people there. I love Chimes restaurant there. Although I must say, our campus visit there was the absolute worst we ever experienced…some of you who are Facebook friends of mine may remember my accounting of it immediately after that visit…absolutely awful and downright ridiculous.</p>

<p>Bama fans have always considered themselves superior in nearly every respect (ask an Auburn fan</p>

<p>As someone who LIVES in an area filled with Auburn fans, I can tell you that Auburn fans REALLY do consider themselve superior in every respect.</p>

<p>I love that some folks are holding hard to standards of conduct. I, too, was surprised at the booing which was loudly audible on tv. There were also obscene finger gestures recorded on videos.</p>

<p>At least we can encourage “our” kids to attempt to travel the behavioral high road. A start for this is to say ‘unacceptable.’ Thank you those that did and do.</p>

<p>When push comes to shove, football is a GAME. It is the lessons from that game that make it valuable for participants and watchers alike.</p>

<p>I’m with you, Student.:slight_smile: Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Ancient MDB alumna here. I can attest that if you are in the band, and in uniform, you will witness some astounding behavior - both good and bad.</p>

<p>At Death Valley, the opposing team’s band is usually seated behind the tiger - the live one that smells a LOT. You will experience words and objects flung. It may have something to do with the consumption of alcohol being at a much higher level in Baton Rouge than in most places.
Outside, however, fans of both stripes welcomed us, offered us a drink, a plate of fabulous Cajun food, and told hilarious Marie and Pierre jokes.</p>

<p>In Knoxville, we had oranges thrown at us. Usually rotten. During my only visit there as a band member, a huge number of orange-attired fans saluted us with the single finger. Our bus finally returned the salute by filling every bus window with a shiny moon.
We also had kind alumnae give several of us a ride back to our hotel.</p>

<p>In Birmingham, after the “Punt Bama Punt” game (look it up), certain Auburn fans greeted the band on its exit with gloating, unfriendly gestures, words, and threats. At that time the flag carriers’ poles were topped with spikes. Band Director Ferguson had us surround the band, spikes pointed out, and marched us all safely back to the buses. No Auburn love that day for Bama, but we have many AU friends and family members with whom we love to verbally joust.</p>

<p>It’s all part of wearing the crimson uniform and representing the University of Alabama. You just learn to smile and bless their heart. ;-D</p>

<p>Great post, Southlander! Sounds like it was an AWESOME adventure and makes for some great stories for the kiddos!</p>